Project Raptor Revisited

climber07

Limp Gawd
I finally finished my case mod upgrade to a 2004 computer build. The computer has undergone many changes and upgrades over the past few years. The latest mod is the addition of the Lian Li PC-P80 Armorsuit. It is a MASSIVE case and has great airflow. I painted the internals flat black and am very pleased with the results.

dsc03153o.jpg

By climber07 at 2011-09-21
dsc03151x.jpg

dsc03148h.jpg

dsc03079f.jpg

By climber07 at 2011-09-19
dsc03095oh.jpg

dsc03112sl.jpg

dsc03120g.jpg

dsc03127p.jpg

dsc03139xc.jpg

dsc03118rq.jpg

By climber07 at 2011-09-22
dsc03143ob.jpg

Here's what the difference is from the last case as far as size goes.
dsc03091fb.jpg

By climber07 at 2011-09-22

Thank you. The UV works much better than I thought it would. The flat black paint actually accentuates the lights, cables, and sleeving.

That is a beautiful case and mod, also, thank you for serving our country.

Thank you for the comment and the gratitude. It took me a second to realize how you came to your conclusion... Eight months to retirement...

Very nice build with an amazing case, though I'm not a big fan of the top-mounted PSU. What brand of UV cathodes are you using?

That is a sexy machine! I'd love for you to do my system! Where did you find that fan under the video card?

Thank you very much for the compliments guys. The UV cold cathodes are "A.C. Ryan TWIN Overboost Dual 12" CCFL Light - UV" from Frozen CPU. Frozen CPU and Performance-PCs have unbelievable modding components. Frozen CPU has a CCFL inverter in a beautiful aluminum housing for four our eight lights I have been looking at.

The dual 70mm fan card under the video card is a "Vantec SP-FC70-BL 70mm PCI Slot Case Cooler" from NewEgg.

Frozen CPU, Performance-PCs, and NewEgg are like my home...

Very disappointed yesterday when my Logitech Z-5500 speakers started making a fairly loud popping and crackling noise. It only affected the front right speaker output, but it is too much. It even made the noise with no input, regardless of the output type. Very upset. 2 1/2 years old and junk.

I had to go to Fry's and buy a new system. They don't support, repair, or sell the Z-5500s any longer so I bought their new flagship speaker system. The Z-906 5.1 Surround system. Not bad. They were $399.00, but they do a price match and I use Pricegrabber.com. Found the system online with Provantage.com for $299.78 and they matched it. Can't beat $100.00 off with a stick... It only has an 8" sub, but it still puts out. 500 Watts (claimed RMS) and it will still rock the house. This system seems to have a better amplifier as the mids are much better. I didn't even take the satellites out of the box. Just plugged in the new sub and console and off we go. Sounds pretty good.

I do miss my Z-5500 sub though. ...and the control pod as well. Now I have 5 new satellites to use as I see fit. They are rated at 65 Watts each so they can put out some sound. We'll see.

I don't get that 8" and it's 500watts rms? I have a rythmik fv12 and it's 300rms but twice the cost?
Sound confuses me like no other

Sexy rig btw I really like that case, I agree newegg performance pcs and frozencpu are amazing. Frozen is expensive but they have the best selection.

Can you link the case?

Thanks for the compliment on my rig. I love this thing. As for sound systems, watts don't necessarily equal quality. The whole sound system is 500 Watts RMS. The satellites are 65W each (325W) and 165 Watts for the Sub (490W total). I think 5 to 10 watts is a fudge factor...

It sounds fairly good but is by no means audiophile. Bose has great highs and mids for their 5.1 computer speakers but no bass. Creative sounds like cardboard boxes with drivers (although my last 4.1 system was pretty cool). You can do lots better if you build one yourself with a little receiver and a few good quality drivers but for $299 I was impressed to say the least.

Here's the link at NewEgg for the Lian Li PC-P80

Here's the link at Performance PCs for the Lian Li PC-P80

Kinda expensive very good lucking so i guess you get what you pay for...

Custom side panel?

Yes the side panel is custom. Black nuts and bolts instead of rivets. Easy to replace window if scratched.

Thanks man. The silver insides make the case look cheap. Painting the inside was a royal pain in the butt, but it was worth it in my opinion. Especially the flat black textured paint I used. Very tough and absorbs light well. I think it highlights the components better.

Agreed for sure. Seems hard to do any kind of cable clean up. Overall it looks like a good case and its huge lol

Picked them up at Fry's Electronics. I'm lucky enough to live near one. You can also pick them up at FrozenCPU.com.

Back