Project Orthrus - Smallest SLI mATX case (V2)

By the way a small update where I'm at with all the testing.
I'm waiting for some 1/4" 10/13mm fittings from Alphacool to get here.
Somehow when i was ordering all the water cooling gear I managed to overlook the amount of fittings ill need.
Its very painful to have to wait for the gear to get here ( ETA Friday ) so my testing will commence then.... In the meantime I do have another small teaser for everyone ....

Looks like the last and final test (everything water-cooled) will be going ahead :)
The top GPU will support normal full card water blocks, like those from EK or Bitspower, but the bottom GPU will support universal GPU coolers only (due to the terminals on the full card GPU water blocks exceeding the reference card height limit for the bottom GPU in the case)

GPU2.jpg

I thought I'd share something interesting with you guys ... that i ran into today as I'm collating my test results:

So I started testing Project Orthrus with Furmark and CPU Burner - running each to put a maximum load on the system.
When I noticed my power supply started to get a little louder than usual.
I touched the back of the case and it felt really hot. I ran a number of tests and CPU (6800k @ 3.4 ghz) temps were off as well. Much higher than i expected (idle: 37c / load: 48c). GPU's were throttling (reporting thermal throttles, i thought something was wrong)

It wasn't until i took the side panel off that i noticed the fans on the radiator weren't spinning at all for some reason. Motherboard bios was set to DC mode for that fan header, i had to change it to PWM. I then also set the fan speed to 70% (which is about 1200rpm) and proceeded to take some more results.

Test results were a lot better but I was still getting a little bit of heat buildup near the power supply and that's when I realised that I forgot to put ventilation holes above the GPU's. Bad oversight. So I had to drill some holes in my new case !!!! PAINFUL to do on such an expensive prototype ! However, I think the results in the picture below speaks for themselves.

(P.S. Keep in mind the middle picture wasn't taken at max temperature (which is reached around the 15 min mark - the time-lapse video i was recording cut off at about the 10 min mark because the battery died on the FLIR camera) but take my word for it, that there was a bit more heat buildup than that.)

Temp_Tests2.jpg

Moral of the story ... i know there are a lot of cases out there that don't have airflow going through them. These pictures show just how important it is to move that stagnant air out of a computer case so it doesn't cook itself.

On another interesting note... even though the radiator fans weren't on (in the first picture) the CPU only reached a maximum of 48 c ?!?! .... interesting :) good to know just the water flow was enough to dissipate heat.

Please do not use such clear colour font! For those of us who use a white background it is very hard to see!

Regarding the pictures....I fail to see the difference between #2 and #3. So you drilled holes for test #3 but temperatures are worse?!?!?!?! And where exactly did you trill the wholes if you have the psu on top?!

Please do not use such clear colour font! For those of us who use a white background it is very hard to see!

Font colour of what ? On the pictures ? On the forum I'm using the default font / colour.

Regarding the pictures....I fail to see the difference between #2 and #3. So you drilled holes for test #3 but temperatures are worse?!?!?!?! And where exactly did you trill the wholes if you have the psu on top?!

Please read my post and look at the picture more carefully.

Hi Leandro,

Yes, Li-Heat is my riser supplier of choice right now. Their cables are really great quality and the exact thickness that I need.... not to mention nice and black :)

Unless something drastically changes I will be using them as a supplier for this case :)

By the way a small update where I'm at with all the testing.
I'm waiting for some 1/4" 10/13mm fittings from Alphacool to get here.
Somehow when i was ordering all the water cooling gear I managed to overlook the amount of fittings ill need.
Its very painful to have to wait for the gear to get here ( ETA Friday ) so my testing will commence then.... In the meantime I do have another small teaser for everyone ....

Looks like the last and final test (everything water-cooled) will be going ahead :)
The top GPU will support normal full card water blocks, like those from EK or Bitspower, but the bottom GPU will support universal GPU coolers only (due to the terminals on the full card GPU water blocks exceeding the reference card height limit for the bottom GPU in the case)

GPU2.jpg
What would be the maximum free VGA space?

I hated this block model from EK, now I love it! LOL :D:D:D:D:D
350x700px-LL-c817e50c_IMG_0778.jpeg

ekwb-ek-fc680-gtx-soc-1.jpg

EK-FC770GTX-GW-CSQ-3_1200.jpg

10x-1280x1024.jpg

We still have salvation! To use block full on both VGA!
xspc-full-cover-blade-nvidia-gtx-1080-waterblock-xs-bld-gtx1080-58870-4.jpg

xspc-full-cover-blade-nvidia-gtx-1080-waterblock-xs-bld-gtx1080-58870-3.jpg

xspc-full-cover-blade-nvidia-gtx-1080-waterblock-xs-bld-gtx1080-58870-2.jpg

http://shop.xs-pc.com/xsp/XSPC-Full-Cover-BLADE-Nvidia-GTX-1080-Waterblock_58870.html

hitzestau-waterblock1080-alphacoolnexxos.jpg

8814_alphacool%20nexxxos%20gpx%20gtx%201080.jpg

1013137-3.jpg

1013137-158009d5036878.jpg

Sorry for the photos too big, but does the space that has between the VGAs I could put some block of xspc or aphacool?

Reactions: LukeD
like this
For the top GPU slot the maximum space clearance above the GPU for a g1/4" terminal is about 26-27mm.
For the bottom GPU there is no clearance so the XSPC water block won't work.
I think the alpha cool one will with 2x45 adapter from EK twisted into an S-shape.
I actually bought an alpha cool to test however, i bought the wrong revision (m5) and i was supposed to buy (m0) for the reference 1080. Silly me didn't do my research and bought too quickly.
hence my second purchase was the universal GPU cooler.
But yes, i think that EK and alpha cool will work :)

Hahahahhaa. Welcome to the forum!
I still feel really bad, especially that I literally got perfection from Protocase guys and gals on this one ;)
After I saw what happens on the thermal images, It took me 2 days to work up the courage to even get a drill close to the case.
I even retested twice to make sure the results were consistent. (The heat build up at the back)
I won't show photos of it :p even though I think I did a pretty good job.
I feel so bad! It was such a big design oversight on my part. Somewhere between all the emails of revisions of moving things here and there 1mm, 2mm i totally forgot about the exhaust holes needed on the GPU side. Let's keep this our dirty little secret ;)

hahaha just kidding - it is your case! And that's exactly what prototyping is for, right? ;) I'm sure you did a great job.

Thanks for the welcome - happy to be here! We've been keeping tabs on the build from afar, but it's nice to be a part of the conversation sometimes too.

like this
Definitely good to have Protocase representation on the forums :) I'm sure lots of people will have many questions for you ;)

Font colour of what ? On the pictures ? On the forum I'm using the default font / colour.

The text prava quoted is an example of when you used a light-grey color, which is very hard to read for those of us using the "light" (e.g. with white background) theme/style here on hardforum.

Thank you backfeed. I fixed it now. I didn't realise that had happened. I copied and pasted the text out of notepad and a [/COLOR] tag was inserted. I've removed it now. Should be better hopefully ;)

Finally managed to whip this up. Updates in the first post as well. Thermal images coming soon as well.

Benchmarks - Noise / Power Consumption / Temperature:

Test Configuration:
CPU - Intel 6800K (@3.4GHz)
RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz 16GB (2x8GB)
MB - EVGA Micro 2 X99
GPU 1 - nVidia GTX 1080
GPU 2 - nVidia GTX 1080
CPU AIR Cooler - ID Cooling IS-VC45
GPU AIR Cooler - Founders Edition Blower
CPU AIO Cooler - Kelvin S24
CPU CL Cooler - Kelvin S24 (cpu block/pump combo)
GPU CL Waterblock 1 - EK-FC1080 GTX - Nickel
GPU CL Waterblock 2 - Koolance GPU 220
Thermal Paste - EK

Tempsv2.png

Fahrenheit version:

Temps_Fv2.png

Last edited:
And here are the thermal images corresponding to tests 6, 7, 8 and 9 from the above table

thermals_6789.jpg

Good benchmarks, temperature 8 and 9 for me are good, I live in a very hot country, if I can use the same with these temperatures for me it's very good!

I like the news!

Is it not possible to use the direct connections of the block, would be perfect to by the two VGAs in the loop with the same block. (photoshopped)
raZHGin.jpg

Or cut/sanding a little of the part that secures the connections to the point of fitting an angle.
XDaNY3c.jpg

Could it be that this angle would be to use this xspc block in the second VGA?
17045_01.jpg

17045_02.jpg

Dimensions:
Length: 23mm
Width: D16mm
Height: 19mm

Or
nzl-lxg2_p1-700x700.jpg

nzl-lxg2_d0.gif

Last edited:
I think it might be possible to use just the block itself.
Also the low profile fittings.
I should have this XSPC water block in 1-2 days I'll let you know then :D

Leandro, where did you find this picture ?
I'm trying to find more information about this exact block because it seems like it doesn't have screw holes for the terminal ?

raZHGin.jpg

Last edited:
In the rush of work I just forgot to mark that it was a version I made in photoshop, sorry
How I want it under that terminal that way!

like this
So a little bit of bad news .... looks like the connectors on the XSPC water block are not threaded below the water block.
As it stands , the current terminal will be obstructed by the PCIe riser cable in the card above. Which is a shame.
The good news is that you can just get an acrylic terminal made with the terminals pointing out sideways or sticking out a bit more.

XSPC does not facilitate our life! LOL
I'm here thinking, use four screws a little longer to fasten it from the top side, make a thread in this two holes from above and fix the connectors straight.
Does the block hole fit to fit a G1 / 4 connection?

Last edited:
like this
Yeah that's what I'm going to do, is get a plastic shop to drill some acrylic for me i think :)
The hole looks like G1/4" just not threaded.

Another block that would be perfect for the project but a VGA would not fit I think it is higher.
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 ArcticStorm
zt-p10800f-30p_image2.jpg

zt-p10800f-30p_image5.jpg

zt-p10800f-30p_image6.jpg

Just a quick update guys.

Ive been travelling a lot for work recently so haven't had much time with the project, however....
I'm still working on getting some custom terminals made for the XSPC water blocks. It seems to be quite challenging for my local plastic places in Australia.
Once I have that done I'll be able to complete the build and finally show it off a little ;)

In the meantime there is one other thing I'm trying to sort out, but since its a surprise I can't divulge any more information on that :)

These TT cables won't work because they have a straight connector, not an L-shaped one. L-shaped is required for this case.

Playing around with the 1080 Ti's .... (aka ... the FSP octopus attacks !!!!) :)

some interesting facts ...
Flex SLI bridges as still as good if not better than HB :p

flex1080ti.png

7700k overclocking is not all its hyped up to be (i guess it depends on the resolution) :p

Screen_Shot_2017-03-24_at_9.55.55_PM.png

Last edited:
Coming up on a month with no activity here, I suspect the Illuminati actually got to LukeD and picked him off for such forward thinking, LOL.

I got a 1080 about 4 months ago because it was forced upon me to get a new graphics card instead of being able to wait for the 1080Ti, anyone got suggestions on the best (most cost effective) route for upgrading to a 1080Ti from my normal 1080?

Hey Omen and everyone else waiting on an update...
I've been travelling for work for the last 3 weeks, which has made it impossible for me to work on this project.
Unfortunately that's the nature of my work.

I'm still alive however and I will have some news soon (tm) ..... i promise :)

In the meantime, another little teaser:

POled_small.jpg

I have been following for a little while now but finally decided to sign up to this forum just because of this build! Looks great and can't wait to get my hands on one if/when they are available to us plebs!

Awesome ! Welcome to the forums. Im humbled by your support :) Wish i could spend more time on the case and build right now, but looks like i'll be away from home for another 2 weeks at least. But words like yours help me reinvigorate me to pursue the manufacturing of the case :) Much appreciated !

Back