Project Orthrus - Smallest SLI mATX case (V2)

Only $4 shipping though....so its a great deal! lol

$20 shipping to Australia :(
Why do we Australian's always have to get ripped off ? ;)

Ok so i can say the case will cost at least $20,000 ..... we need 2 of those risers in the case ;) hahaha

UPDATE: POLL

Guys I need your help to decide which way to go:
Add 2.5 cm to the height of the case - this will enable the 2nd GPU to be water-cooled.
or
Leave as it is and only the top GPU will be water-cooled. The 2nd GPU will remain air-cooled.

Please vote at:

Why it so big? :)

It can be under 9L.

height: 300mm (244mm MB + 41mm PSU + 6mm Panels + 9mm space for pcie riser)
Length: 273mm (267mm nvidia ref + 6mm Panels
Width: 106mm (100mm PSU + 6mm Panels or 40mm nvidia ref + 16mm space + 44mm 1U MB + 6mm Panels)

Which cooler would you use if you had only 44mm clearance for the MB as you said above ?
Noctua with fan is 37 mm, on top of the CPU is 47 mm (cpu sticks out 10mm above mb)

The first case is literally as small as you could get it in this form factor. Revision 2 is slightly bigger due to water cooling and bigger cooler support for X99.
So that it can stay quiet but not overheating. Performance is not something i want to compromise on.

Which cooler would you use if you had only 44mm clearance for the MB as you said above ?
Noctua with fan is 37 mm, on top of the CPU is 47 mm (cpu sticks out 10mm above mb)

The first case is literally as small as you could get it in this form factor. Revision 2 is slightly bigger due to water cooling and bigger cooler support for X99.
So that it can stay quiet but not overheating. Performance is not something i want to compromise on.

Are you planning to release this ever?

Would love to get my hands on something like this.

Yes. The case is undergoing revisions for the 2nd prototype.
After that I will talk with a number of manufacturers to discuss pricing and manufacturing optimisation.
After which the case will either be released through direct sale or Kickstarter.

Hey guys, here's a sneak peak of the new case front

Tell me if you like it better than the old one :) (the functional benefit is there is more area for air to pass through)

preview.png

Quite a lot better. Personally I'd skip the sticker plate in the bottom center and run the slots at the top all the way up instead of the current irregular "artsy fartsy" pattern though. :)

Quite a lot better. Personally I'd skip the sticker plate in the bottom center and run the slots at the top all the way up instead of the current irregular "artsy fartsy" pattern though. :)

But... but ... but .... I like the artsy fartsy lines :) hehehehe

Actually, their purpose is to help mask some of the surface mount pems that are attached to the front of the case ;)

Last edited:
Tell me if you like it better than the old one :) (the functional benefit is there is more area for air to pass through)

As it is, being asymmetrical really bugs me. I like the general concept though, but imo it would be better if it were symmetrical, especially at the top of the panel.

Thank you for the feedback OmenemO. The design of the front panel will more than likely change before manufacturing to hit a design / price sweet spot. So I'll present the final options here.
I'm trying this design because prototyping it is cheaper.

I would honestly hope that EK makes the AIO cooler that they have for the MSI 30th Anniversary GTX 1080 for other manufacturers and brands of GPU's, I think that particular AIO may very well be a perfect fit for this case.

Last edited:
Hi Luke, great project. Will be happy to have one some day. Excited to see you put the effort into getting it into production! :)

3 years ago I made a case with Protocase with a similar philosophy as yours. My goal however was "smallest possible mini-itx case that supports a medium-sized GPU and is completely indestructible". I had to go on trade shows for my software company, and carry our computer around with us because we had proprietary software on it. As our software was constantly being tested on different GPU's, we couldn't use a laptop.

Since this was never meant to be sold or seen inside, I never bothered improving the design, it fit its purpose for the last 3 years. But your project is inspiring me to work on it again!

Behold, the Ghost Box. 10x8x4 inches, 5.24 liters, 2 entire liters smaller than the Dan case. 14 gauge seam welded steel (you could literally drive over it). FSP power supply was oriented so the air goes in then out of the case immediately. Small gap between the fans and lip of the box allow cable routing for fans and the power cable ffor PSU (as well as the gap between fans and under the motherboard). Ghost logo on side panel allows some GPU airflow (not great). SSD fits just barely between the GPU and PSU. Fans and motherboard and motherboard and PSU have less than half a millimeter of gap between them. Honestly, everything was so tight that you didn't even need to screw in the motherboard, and the SSD was sandwiched in by the extra PSU wires. The stock intel cooler was exactly 2 inches high, which happens to be the pci-e riser card standard heigh, so the plastic top of the intel cooler acted as a support for the GPU :D. It ran for months on end without overheating.

ts0CJaS.jpg

TV2QjAH.jpg

GH8h1yI.jpg

CNy4s9C.jpg

s54qQhc.jpg

AJtRPQD.jpg

That is crazy tiny Danglesnort :) !!!!

I'm guessing since you've been using it this long there's no temp problems or anything like that.

So what is your next case going to be ? Are you going to improve on your existing design ?

That is crazy tiny Danglesnort :) !!!!

I'm guessing since you've been using it this long there's no temp problems or anything like that.

So what is your next case going to be ? Are you going to improve on your existing design ?

Thanks man. I'm not actually sure what to do next. What you are designing is probably what I would have done next!

I could redesign it to center mount the mobo/gpu like you did. I could also shave another inch off the front if I wanted to use an itx GPU. Perhaps some mounts on top for a lunchbox handle? :) I was considering getting the Asrock x99 itx board and testing a 2011 cpu in it, but after seeing your Dynatron R30 test (the same one I was going to buy), maybe I won't do that.

The temps weren't really an issue because it was just an 89w cpu. Also with 4 fans, it didn't have trouble moving the entire small air volume out of the case. Another interesting thing, the amount of pure steel in the chassis is so massive that it actually helped absorb a large amount of heat itself.

Here is a picture of it next to the In Win 901 itx case, just to get a better sense of the size :)

XNJaSWu.jpg

Reactions: LukeD
like this
Brilliant. You should definitely start a thread here. The people here are super helpful and nice. They'll throw a lot of ideas your way :) as a lot of them have been tinkering with their own cases for years :)

Brilliant. You should definitely start a thread here. The people here are super helpful and nice. They'll throw a lot of ideas your way :) as a lot of them have been tinkering with their own cases for years :)

Absolutely. Sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread. I'll definitely be watching your updates! Can't wait to buy one

like this
No problem at all. I'm really hoping my design changes can be wrapped up by the end of this week.... so hopefully.... very very shortly..... there'll be some new and exciting photos ;)

Just wanted to mention that this case looks amazing and I can't wait to see your revision on it, me and my best friend are already giddy with excitement to buy the case as soon as it becomes available.

like this
Hi Bill,

I think what you'll find is that those power supplies have "25 Pairs Gold Finger Connector". Which means it doesn't come prewired. So you'd have to do your own soldering.
That's okay, but I saw the dimension of these PSU are smaller than the PSU you used, can it install to the case. I think these PSU can support flagship hardware without power issue.

That's okay, but I saw the dimension of these PSU are smaller than the PSU you used, can it install to the case. I think these PSU can support flagship hardware without power issue.

As long as the dimensions are smaller than it should be fine. They can be wider. They just can't be taller.

As long as the dimensions are smaller than it should be fine. They can be wider. They just can't be taller.
The one I consider are 1K22A. it is 1200w and the dimensions is 73.5x40x203, it is narrower than the one you use, maybe it will not fit the screw holes that you design for the FSP PSU. That's my concern. I love your design soooo much. I have seeking small matx case which can compatible with flagship hardware for years. I am very exciting when I found this case.

like this
Hehe, glad to hear you're excited about the case Bill :) I am very excited too as I've just finished the design changes for revision 2 :)

And one of the things I took into account, is the ability to have your own back plate for the PSU. With the case, there will be a FlexATX -> 1U adapter plate included as per the pictures below. You can either modify this adapter or make your own :)

PSU1.png

PSU2.png

PSU3.png

The max height of the case is 330mm, so a 360mm rad would not fit. Also remember that I need some space for the front i/o panel :) so max 240 mm rad will have to do :)
The 240 EK predator is also a little too thick (68mm), I'm aiming for 60mm clearance which will allow for a few mm clearance between the radiator / fans and the front of the case.

Here is a list of radiators I'm factoring in:

Screen_Shot_2016_10_11_at_10_39_30_PM.png
What would be the max measurements that this case would allow for an AIO cooler I'm thinking of compiling a list of what would be usable for this case.

Last edited:
What would be the max measurements that this case would allow for an AIO cooler I'm thinking of asking on reddit in order to try an have something of a compatible parts list

A radiator with fans up to 280 mm tall and 124mm wide and 58mm thick will fit.
So if you take into account that the avg fan is 25mm thick, that will allow you for a 33mm thick radiator to be compatible:

Compatible Radiator dimensions (MAX):

Height: 280mm
Width: 124mm
Thickness: 33mm

Hehe, glad to hear you're excited about the case Bill :) I am very excited too as I've just finished the design changes for revision 2 :)

And one of the things I took into account, is the ability to have your own back plate for the PSU. With the case, there will be a FlexATX -> 1U adapter plate included as per the pictures below. You can either modify this adapter or make your own :)

PSU1.png

PSU2.png

PSU3.png
Thx for the change.

Very cool design! This is exactly what I think a lot of people have been looking for for ages.
I had a few questions though:

1. Will there be an adapter plate to run a full sized, single slot card like a sound card?
  2. Are the USB ports positioned vertically at the top? To allow for space to plug in 2 USB drives, for example.
  3. Does the PSU you linked include the needed cables? Or would custom cabling have to be done?
  4. Looks like there aren't any filters, how have you found dust ingress to be?
  5. Are the side panels solid? Windowed?
Any ETA on production? :)

Very cool design! This is exactly what I think a lot of people have been looking for for ages.
I had a few questions though:

Thank you dizmo. I hope you like the new design of the V2 as well :)

1. Will there be an adapter plate to run a full sized, single slot card like a sound card?
  2. Are the USB ports positioned vertically at the top? To allow for space to plug in 2 USB drives, for example.
  3. Does the PSU you linked include the needed cables? Or would custom cabling have to be done?
  4. Looks like there aren't any filters, how have you found dust ingress to be?
  5. Are the side panels solid? Windowed?
1. You can run a single slot card like a sound card no problem. I will think about including the necessary PCI bracket fillers with the case.
2. Yes, V2 has vertically aligned USB ports to allow to plug in 4 devices at a time (for those bigger / thicker devices)
3. The PSU i linked to has enough cables to run 1 graphics card. For an SLI / Crossfire setup some modification or adapters will be needed. I will compile a list of recommended PSU's around the launch of V2.
4. I do have filters however there are no filter mounts in the case at the moment. You can use filters like these if you like (these are the ones I used in the V1 build):
https://mnpctech.com/images/companies/3/140mm_fan_filter_mesh_screen_black_mnpctech1.jpg
5. I haven't completely decided on the side panels just yet. I'm aiming for possibly 2 versions: solid aluminium with ventilation holes and then also tempered glass with no ventilation holes.

Any ETA on production? :)
As soon as I'm done with testing V2 I will begin chats with a prospective list of manufacturers. I'm not sure how long this process will take as no doubt they will want to tweak the design to make it more feasible for mass manufacturing. However I'm hoping to begin those negotiations before the end of the year.

Thank you dizmo. I hope you like the new design of the V2 as well :)

1. You can run a single slot card like a sound card no problem. I will think about including the necessary PCI bracket fillers with the case.
2. Yes, V2 has vertically aligned USB ports to allow to plug in 4 devices at a time (for those bigger / thicker devices)
3. The PSU i linked to has enough cables to run 1 graphics card. For an SLI / Crossfire setup some modification or adapters will be needed. I will compile a list of recommended PSU's around the launch of V2.
4. I do have filters however there are no filter mounts in the case at the moment. You can use filters like these if you like (these are the ones I used in the V1 build):
https://mnpctech.com/images/companies/3/140mm_fan_filter_mesh_screen_black_mnpctech1.jpg
5. I haven't completely decided on the side panels just yet. I'm aiming for possibly 2 versions: solid aluminium with ventilation holes and then also tempered glass with no ventilation holes.

As soon as I'm done with testing V2 I will begin chats with a prospective list of manufacturers. I'm not sure how long this process will take as no doubt they will want to tweak the design to make it more feasible for mass manufacturing. However I'm hoping to begin those negotiations before the end of the year.

I'm sure I will!

Is V2 keeping the slanted I/O area? I think it's great for a case standing upright, but might be a bit awkward if it's placed horizontally.
Even if they were available as a separate purchase that'd be cool, as I'm sure very few people would actually use them.
Great to hear about the change with the USB ports, a lot of the cases I've been looking at have them positioned much too close together!
Did you sleeve the cables yourself?
Two choices would be cool, but I imagine the aluminium would be much cheaper.

Sorry for all the questions, just nice to see something this innovative!

Don't be silly. There's no such thing as too many questions. The more feedback I get, the better I can make the case :)

V2 is keeping the slanted I/O area. Yes, unfortunately in horizontal position it will make accessing the front USB ports a little awkward. This still might change towards the final design.

I did sleeve the cables myself. It was a big job. Took me about 2 days to do it all, especially that it was the first time I was sleeving cables :)

Aluminium will definitely be cheaper. I might do what someone suggest here and that is.... sell a base case version for example with 1 PCIe riser and aluminium side panels (to lower the cost for customers that don't want to run SLI for example, but use the 2nd GPU slot for a 3,5" HDD). And then sell accessories separately. Side panels, riser cables etc ...

Don't be silly. There's no such thing as too many questions. The more feedback I get, the better I can make the case :)

V2 is keeping the slanted I/O area. Yes, unfortunately in horizontal position it will make accessing the front USB ports a little awkward. This still might change towards the final design.

I did sleeve the cables myself. It was a big job. Took me about 2 days to do it all, especially that it was the first time I was sleeving cables :)

Aluminium will definitely be cheaper. I might do what someone suggest here and that is.... sell a base case version for example with 1 PCIe riser and aluminium side panels (to lower the cost for customers that don't want to run SLI for example, but use the 2nd GPU slot for a 3,5" HDD). And then sell accessories separately. Side panels, riser cables etc ...

Could you not set it up so that people only pay for what it is they want on their case similar to what CaseLabs does.

For instance I'm interested in:
*1 single PCIe riser
*Tempered Glass panels
*Fully modular PSU (hopefully)

Also when you get the version 2 prototype I would like to know what kind of temperatures you get with the tempered glass panels vs vented aluminum side panels.

How much space did you have between the case and the GPU? And the front fans?
Demcifilter does custom magnetic filters, with no minimum order. Was thinking one could put down some magnetic tape on the inside of the case and mount them that way.
Damn! Definitely worth the effort though, looks killer!

Could you not set it up so that people only pay for what it is they want on their case similar to what CaseLabs does.

For instance I'm interested in:
*1 single PCIe riser
*Tempered Glass panels
*Fully modular PSU (hopefully)

Also when you get the version 2 prototype I would like to know what kind of temperatures you get with the tempered glass panels vs vented aluminum side panels.

I think modular PSU's in that form factor 1U / FlexATX will not be bundled as a part of the product.
I am in talks with FSP to create a high end gamer version of the 700watt platinum PSU with dual GPU support, however it cannot be modular, there is simply not enough space for all those connectors on the front of the PSU.

However, there are FlexATX modular PSU's available, e.g.:
https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases...Plus-Gold-Power-Supply-Review/Detailed-Look-S
http://atx-power-supply.info/2016/1...-flex-atx-1u-psu-modular-server-power-supply/
And here's a 1U PSU also fully modular:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151129

and yes... i will be releasing a full set of benchmarks including thermals and noise for v2

How much space did you have between the case and the GPU? And the front fans?
Demcifilter does custom magnetic filters, with no minimum order. Was thinking one could put down some magnetic tape on the inside of the case and mount them that way.
Damn! Definitely worth the effort though, looks killer!

In V1 the distance between the GPU and side panel was 7 mm, in V2 it is going to be 9~10 mm.
The distance between the end of the GPU and the front fans is 5.5 mm

At the front of the case, when in use with the typical 240mm aio, there will be between 5~8mm clearance. So that should be more than enough to fit Demcifilter's in there.

I decided to get a Seasonic 500Watt Gold fully modular PSU. This will probably be useful to those who are looking to run a single GPU setup or dual 1080 + 6700k setup.

Seasonic_FSP_copy.jpg

Back