Project Orthrus - Smallest SLI mATX case (V2)

LukeD, where the maximum height for a CPU cooler? I'm imagining the use of an X99 in this case, I will need a good cooler for 5820k overclocked and maximum height memory sink.

Thank you and sorry for my bad english is not my native language!

Last edited:
I love this!
It makes me want to build an ATX version, but with the PSU over the PCI slots so it won't be much bigger.

I have a question.
Why not go with 2 140mm fans instead of 2 92mms
It add width but wouldn't add much, if any height and would give you more room for a PC cooler and taller ram. Would also move more air with less noise.

More CPU cooler = better x99 performance.

Last edited:
LukeD, where the maximum height for a CPU cooler? I'm imagining the use of an X99 in this case, I will need a good cooler for 5820k overclocked and maximum height memory sink.!

Right now we're looking at a maximum clearance of around 37 mm. I'm going to try and increase that to around 40-45 mm, as i would like this case to be x99 compatible.

I have a question.
Why not go with 2 140mm fans instead of 2 92mms
It add width but wouldn't add much, if any height and would give you more room for a PC cooler and taller ram. Would also move more air with less noise.
More CPU cooler = better x99 performance.

Indeed, but the front fans only need to move ambient air, so the air is not stale in the case.
I don't see much point in moving to a 140 mm fan as it would increase the width of the case by 50mm or so, in which case, it would make the case look like a normal matx case pretty much

Right now we're looking at a maximum clearance of around 37 mm. I'm going to try and increase that to around 40-45 mm, as i would like this case to be x99 compatible.

Regarding X99…

Dynatron T318 heat sink is 27mm tall, add a Noctua NF-A9x14, takes the package to 41mm overall height…

Regarding X99…

Dynatron T318 heat sink is 27mm tall, add a Noctua NF-A9x14, takes the package to 41mm overall height…

Awesome ! Thanks so much for that. I'll factor that into the case measurements. I'll be making it about 5mm wider which will accomodate this heatsink and also a spacer that I'm working on so you can use a 120mm fan instead of a 92mm one.

Reactions: Boil
like this
Awesome ! Thanks so much for that. I'll factor that into the case measurements. I'll be making it about 5mm wider which will accomodate this heatsink and also a spacer that I'm working on so you can use a 120mm fan instead of a 92mm one.

Keep in mind the fan I reference is a SLIM fan (14mm thick), if you are looking to add a 'regular' 25mm thick 120mm fan, then your total package heigth would be coming in at 52mm,; adding in your planned spacer would bring that to 57mm total package height…

I feel like it would be a good idea if you're modifying the design to take the T318 + fan, to design for a 15mm fan instead of 14mm.
There's quite a few 15mm fans out and about, and I can only think of two fans off the top of my head that are 14mm or less.

I feel like it would be a good idea if you're modifying the design to take the T318 + fan, to design for a 15mm fan instead of 14mm.
There's quite a few 15mm fans out and about, and I can only think of two fans off the top of my head that are 14mm or less.

Indeed, I'll get a T318 and see if i can accomodate a 15mm fan.
Will definitely provide clearance for a 15mm fan as you are correct, there are many more 15mm thick 92 and 120 mm fans than there are 14 or 12 mm.

I am desperately trying to find a case like this but all of them are ugly and huge...
If you crowd fund this you will definitely have me as a backer!

Thank you Omen124.

I am doing my best to finalise the design and then do a second prototype which will hopefully be the final design.

Currently I've had some drama in my personal life and I've had to travel inter-content to be with my parents. I am still aiming to crowd fund this before the end of the year.

Regarding performance... well, seeing that your first topic on the matter includes a damn-well looking prototype... I'm sure it shouldn't be too hard for you to make non-perforated panels and experiment a bit ;) Temperatures, if anything, should be even better with the non-perforated panels, no matter how high end the system is. Why? With front intakes and such a small volume you force clean air to get from the front and leave to the back. This means that all heat being produced in the case is being pushed to the outside, as there is nothing to interfere in that forced airflow. Instead, if you create vents or introduce perforated panels you allow air to leave from other areas and not only the back, which would create weird airflow effects. Also, perforated panels, specially on acrylic, look much worse than plain ones.
I am also curious about this. Non-perforated panels can be interesting and should be testing.
However, regarding the design, it would be nice to have the possibilty to choose acrylic panel which is cool, or opaque panel (in aluminium ?) which will be more sober.

With the crowd funding, what are you looking at including?
E.g. custom riser required for graphics cards, cutom cables required for sli and power etc
Another factor to consider is partially built with a power source included since it was painted black or other components that a person may want to customise on their case.
Keen to see the options and milestone s available for funding.
Either way I will be keeping an eye on these forums for the campaign.

Really cool, Its the first case Ive ever seen that has dual GPU mounting like that. Very impressive and excellent layout!

LukeD, any news? I believe that we are all looking forward to the second prototype!

I will be submitting the revisions for the 2nd prototype, hopefully first week of october.
I had to wait to come back home, so I can get precise measurements for the tweaks that i want to do.
I am also waiting for my x99 motherboard as well as a dynatron r25 and t318 cooler so i can get the right clearances.

Last edited:
LukeD, where the maximum height for a CPU cooler? I'm imagining the use of an X99 in this case, I will need a good cooler for 5820k overclocked and maximum height memory sink.

Thank you and sorry for my bad english is not my native language!

Wouldn't you want to go with the 5930K, for the extra PCIe lanes, since this is an SLI chassis…?!?

I will be submitting the revisions for the 2nd prototype, hopefully first week of october.
I had to wait to come back home, so I can get precise measurements for the tweaks that i want to do.
I am also waiting for my x99 motherboard as well as a dynatron r25 and t318 cooler so i can get the right clearances.
Looking forward to seeing the new prototype, I'm hoping this case, get ready to start my new biuld.
Wouldn't you want to go with the 5930K, for the extra PCIe lanes, since this is an SLI chassis…?!?
Really forgotten that detail, I will buy 5930K or 6850K

Reactions: Boil
like this
Hi LukeD. That's really cool, I love this project soooo much. Here is my question about this case. Is it possible to let this case support flagship GPU SLI such as Titan X Pascal SLI or GTX 1080ti. They have 250w tdp. I am sure 700w power supply is not enough to support a x99 cpu and 2 Titan X SLI.

Hi LukeD. That's really cool, I love this project soooo much. Here is my question about this case. Is it possible to let this case support flagship GPU SLI such as Titan X Pascal SLI or GTX 1080ti. They have 250w tdp. I am sure 700w power supply is not enough to support a x99 cpu and 2 Titan X SLI.

Hi Bill,

Thank you for the kind words,

I don't think Titan XP SLI + X99 would be currently possible.

700Watt PSU from FSP Group is currently the most powerful power supply in this form factor and I don't think it could handle the load.

Even if it the usage was close to 700Watt, the PSU would be audible, which isn't exactly desirable.

I have currently ordered an x99 motherboard and 6800k cpu, i will run my dual 1080 setup in it and update the results on the first page, we will see what kind of power draw difference there is between 6700k and 6800k in this setup.

Unfortunately I won't be able to test dual Titan XP because I simply do not have the money for that right now. I might upgrade to 1080ti when they become available, however TitanXP is out of my price range right now.

So in summary i think:
(NOTE: I am basing these estimates on non OC'd hardware.)

6700k + 2 x 1080 will work
6700k + 2 x 1080ti will work
6700k + 2 x Titan XP will probably work
6800k + 2 x 1080 will work
6800k + 2 x 1080ti might work
6800k + 2 x Titan XP will probably NOT work

Last edited:
Hi Bill,

700Watt PSU from FSP Group is currently the most powerful power supply in this form factor and I don't think it could handle the load.

That shouldn't be a problem at all unless overclocking like crazy. If I recall correctly, the TDP of the 980 Ti is the same as the Titan X(P), and when I had two 980 Ti my entire system (with a 4770K) topped out at 550W from the wall socket (i.e. including conversion losses), but regular gaming load was far lower.

Last edited:
Hi Bill,

Thank you for the kind words,

Even if it the usage was close to 700Watt, the PSU would be audible, which isn't exactly desirable.

I have currently ordered an x99 motherboard and 6800k cpu, i will run my dual 1080 setup in it and update the results on the first page, we will see what kind of power draw difference there is between 6700k and 6800k in this setup.

Unfortunately I won't be able to test dual Titan XP because I simply do not have the money for that right now. I might upgrade to 1080ti when they become available, however TitanXP is out of my price range right now.

So in summary i think:
(NOTE: I am basing these estimates on non OC'd hardware.)

6700k + 2 x 1080 will work
6700k + 2 x 1080ti will work
6700k + 2 x Titan XP will probably work
6800k + 2 x 1080 will work
6800k + 2 x 1080ti might work
6800k + 2 x Titan XP will probably NOT work

Remember, the 6800K does not have sufficient PCIe lanes (to the CPU) available for SLI… You need the 6850K with its 40 available lanes…!

Remember, the 6800K does not have sufficient PCIe lanes (to the CPU) available for SLI… You need the 6850K with its 40 available lanes…!

6700k has 16 lanes
6800k has 28 lanes

Compare Link

It should be enough, no ?

I know the 6700k uses some multiplexer to handle things like m.2 but running each 1080 in 8x mode was enough bandwidth for me.

Last edited:
he just a forward going thought. if you ditch the 1u ps and put an atx ps where the hdd bay is, how much height does it add? Then move hdds in front of ps with optical option if you go full m.2. matx 90 degree sli atx ps sounds good

Hi bluesynk, putting in an matx PSU would completely destroy the form factor and make the case 20 cm or so wide. Unless I misunderstood what you meant

Guys,

I've got a big update for you today:

I finally got my X99 gear, ordered a bunch of heatsinks (dynatron) to test out .... got a little shock when i found out there's two types of mounting positions square: (80x80mm) and the narrow type (94x56mm).
3 of the 4 heatsinks are unusable at this stage, but the one that did work, Dynatron R30, man, thant thing can get quite loud on a 6800k running 100% load. It keeps the temps down to 50c @ 100% with ambient about 21c, but man, its loud.

Full_Size_Render.jpg
IMG_4934.jpg
IMG_4939.jpg
IMG_4940.jpg
IMG_4938.jpg

Then I measured the case which is 115mm wide and it got me thinking, if i add 10mm to the width I can get a front mount 240mm radiator in there :) So that's what is going to happen on revision 2.
However to make that happen, the motherboard and gpu's need to be reversed (on opposite sides).

On a side note, I also got my hands on a Flir One, which will allow me to put all the scepticism to bed around the temps and noise of the PSU :) (you're welcome FSP) :)

One other change that I'll be making is changing the supplier of the PCIe risers. I'm in talks with Li-Heat who are making a new version of their cable. I plan to incorporate this cable for one very important reason: it is thinner than the usual PCIe risers, this will allow me to route the SLI cables for nVidia users behind the GPU mounting brackets for a super sexy clean look :)

14446292_1836263319941252_1121745275_o_2.jpg
14463848_1836263566607894_1337252383_n_2.jpg

The max height of the case is 330mm, so a 360mm rad would not fit. Also remember that I need some space for the front i/o panel :) so max 240 mm rad will have to do :)
The 240 EK predator is also a little too thick (68mm), I'm aiming for 60mm clearance which will allow for a few mm clearance between the radiator / fans and the front of the case.

Here is a list of radiators I'm factoring in:

Screen_Shot_2016_10_11_at_10_39_30_PM.png

Indeed, with the predator it would be larger and would run the purpose.

A slim 240mm radiator generally has from 25mm to 27mm depth of the mount in a push pull with slim 12mm to 15mm fans usually have a radiator.

Apogee Drive II + Magicool 240 G2 X-Flow Slim Radiator (27mm) + 4x Scythe Slip Stream 120mm (12mm)

Okay, I'm just assuming one custom loop, but have used a system similar to the X58 + i7 930, only the radiator was another model had a good performance.

Damn, reducing the thickness by a third, that's pretty cool. Let's see when these will be released.

Damn, reducing the thickness by a third, that's pretty cool. Let's see when these will be released.

My only concern is that they are self proclaimed "electronic laymen". I just hope they obtain all the necessary certifications and tests for their cables as they are hoping to increase power pass through of these cables. (Maybe for cards like the RX480 ?)

Back