Project Omni - Ncase M1 [Build Log]

JzfNaWu.jpg

Project Omni

I've had an enormous case for way too long now: EATX form factor with an old GTX580. It's time for me to update my system. I've taken on the challenge to stuff as much powerful hardware (as I can afford at the moment) in the smallest case as possible. This is why I've chose the infamous Ncase M1 as the case I'll be working with. The case is beautiful and it's unbelievable how much high end hardware can be fitted inside it. The system will be used as main workstation and for gaming. I can't wait to hook up this baby to my 4K tv and play some 4K games with +30fps. For now I've chosen the GTX 1070 as GPU, because I think even the 1080 isn't the 4K gpu, but the Titan is. I'll keep the 1070 for now and wait and see what the newer generation GPU's will offer for a more comfortable price.

Main Components:

Ncase M1 V4 Black
DEMCIflex Dust filters

Intel Core i7 6700K
Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
Gigabyte GTX 1070 Xtreme Gaming
Corsair vengeance 16GB DDR4 2133 Mhz
Samsung 850 Pro 500GB
Corsair SF450

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C12P
CPU Fan: Thermalright TY-147

Update 2017-01-08
After spending hours on different cooling possibilities in this case I have decided on going full air cooled. I think an completely air cooled system is more silent then using plug and play AIO coolers. Of course, doing a correct custom water cooled system is the best temperature and noise wise, but a lot more expensive (and harder to upgrade later on). I was able to find an old Noctua NH-C12P air cooler, i think the best/biggest heatsink you can find for this system after the NH-C14 and Be Quiet Dark Rock TF. The cooler will be used with a huge Thermalright TY-147 140mm fan. For the GPU I've chosen a Gigabyte 1070 Xtreme Gaming, which is an insanely huge GPU (3 x 100 mm fans). I've mainly chosen this GPU because of the cooling solution, keeping them spinning slow to reduce noise.

JzfNaWu.jpg

Update 2017-01-08 Updated component list, check 1st post

After spending hours on different cooling possibilities in this case I have decided on going full air cooled. I think an completely air cooled system is more silent then using plug and play AIO coolers. Of course, doing a correct custom water cooled system is the best temperature and noise wise, but a lot more expensive (and harder to upgrade later on). I was able to find an old Noctua NH-C12P air cooler, i think the best/biggest heatsink you can find for this system after the NH-C14 and Be Quiet Dark Rock TF. The cooler will be used with a huge Thermalright TY-147 140mm fan. For the GPU I've chosen a Gigabyte 1070 Xtreme Gaming, which is an insanely huge GPU (3 x 100 mm fans). I've mainly chosen this GPU because of the cooling solution, keeping them spinning slow to reduce noise.

• Apart from getting the new components, I've stated disassembling the Ncase and check if it was possible to sleeve the internal usb, power and audio cables. Unfortunately I don't think it really doable to sleeve the cables. Luckily they're as good as black so it won't stand out from all the other sleeved cables.
  • I've also been looking in some proper dust filters and I've set me eyes on some awesome filters from demciFlex. These filters come with magnetic strips so I'll be able to attach them on the aluminium case for easy removal (plus it looks sweeeet).
  • As you can see the case has some minor scratches/damage at the PCI-E slot holders which I might give a bit of a repaint. Most likely you'll wont even see it once the GPU is installed tho. Also I really need to remove that ugly Corsair Sticker. I really hope it hasn't damaged the paint of the Ncase, but lets wait and see.

Sorry for not giving you guys a more exciting update after such a long time, I'm really busy at the moment. I'll do my best to hurry up with the build :facepalm:

Pictures:

Aa3wWta.jpg

zD93ymU.jpg

Mkf2MKa.jpg

8uP9YbU.jpg

FY2wDxQ.jpg

P17Yvqt.jpg

JzfNaWu.jpg

Update 2017-01-20 Initial installation

Started installing the first basic easy parts onto the motherboard for this build and made some detail shots of my good looking components.

Funny enough it has been a while ago that I built a PC myself, so I completely forgot that I could not install the CPU anymore once I've installed the CPU Cooler bracket. With this bracket installed it's impossible to remove the plastic protection cover of the CPU socket.
:eek: Apart from my screw up, props for Noctua sending me a 1151 compatible cpu bracket kit for my Noctua NH-C12P for free!

JzfNaWu.jpg

Update 2017-01-24 1070 Xtreme Gaming - Is it gonna fit :LOL:

I have to say that this GPU is a thing of beauty. It's enormous, build quality looks and feels great and I can't wait to fire this thing up. The GPU itself weighs more that the disassembled case I think :facepalm: Hope it's gonna keep the card (and rest of the case) cool and quiet with that 2,5 slot cooler! It's a shame only the backplate and the side of the GPU is visible once it's installed.

Installing the GPU really was pain in the ass. The GPU is so big that the only way for to install or remove it is to completely remove all parts from the motherboard, even the low profile ram was too much. :eh: But after 50 times of trial and error without trying to scratch the case and the card I finally managed to get the GPU inside the case. Mother of god, this card is the absolute max of what the Ncase M1 will allow. And yes, the side panel still fits! Really glad that Gigabyte decided to have to power connectors lowered. Anyway, here are some pictures of the card installed, enjoy :D

Can I ask why you went with this GPU over a blower style? Are you worried about excess heat in the case?

Last edited:
Looking really good!

Wow what camera/lens are you using? Amazingly crisp pics!

Thanks! I'm using a Canon EOS 600D with a Sigma AF 17-70mm lens. Try to do my best making some good pictures, but I know I could still do a lot better. Also I have to work with awful lighting...

That is one beastly GPU!

Hahahaha, yeah it is freakingly big compared to the case :D

Can I ask why you went with this GPU over a blower style? Are you worried about excess heat in the case?

To top it off, what temps are you getting? I'm planning on putting a 1080 FTW in mine!

In general I'm concerned about all the excess heat, but I've been following the Ncase thread for quite a while now and for so far I've read the a good open air GPU will get better temps than the stock blower GPU and it'll run a lot quieter, which is really important for me. It's still a guess tho how cool/quiet the GPU will run but I'm confident it'll be fine. Time will tell I guess!

Will update asap on temperatures and noise once the build is up and running!

JzfNaWu.jpg

Update 2017-02-12 Sleeving!

It has a been a really long time since I've actually sleeved cables and I had completely forgotten how much work it actually is. However, the longer you're doing it the easier it becomes. When I was sleeving the last cables it was actually easy peasy. Have to say though, that the cables the Corsair SF450 comes with are a pain to work with. All cables from connector to connector don't really follow any logic, especially doing the 24-pin was quite hard. Not to mention that there were quite a lot of single to two pin cables... But all in all, I'm happy with the result :)

Still feel bad that I haven't bought the pin removal tool from MDPC, but I already had this Lamptron kit laying around and it gets the job done! Overview of all tools and materials I used for the sleeving:

Sleeving the single pin to two pin was quite tricky and there are several ways of doing this, but in the end I choose for doing an Y split somewhere in the middle of the cables. It's maybe not the prettiest result, but I'm satisfied with it and it doesn't look that bad. I approached it in the following way :

I kept having that voice in my head saying I might have messed up putting a cable back into it's original position after sleeving. After hearing that it could fry my CPU, GPU or motherboard I decided (thanks for the tip guys! (y)) to purchase a PSU tester. Have to say the description written by some Chinese guys really made me laugh. So I have just heard the single short "Dudu ring" without any flickering lights :D

Reactions: Jspr
like this
Looks great! Not too many are brave enough to do their own sleeving these days. I like the look of the y-slpits after you added the heatshrink over top.

Back