Project OBLIVION: SN41 mod (No 56K)

Troney1169 said:
Wicked job! and omfg your thumb bends like rubber!!!!

LOL, thanks, and yes, yes it does.

My dad came up with a way to get the edges of the plexi gorgeous, so tomorrow I am redoing the windows.

I'm in the middle of designing the front bezel, I'll post pics as soon as I have the sketchup done. Should be later tonight, or early tomorrow lol.

E

Here's the initial plan, I'll resize them in a minute here. It's three layers of 1/4 inch plexi and one layer of 1/16th aluminum. What's that you say? That's right, NO LCD SCREEN. I've decided not to include it in this shuttle, I've got a grand case mod coming up, and its needed for that. Well, not a case mod, a MONITOR mod :D More details on that next week.

The only thing I dont have planned is the DVD slot in the aluminum, that's only because I forgot to grab the drive before I came in, and its too late to run back out to my shop for it.

I'm planning on mounting the front accessible ports in the open PCI slot, or above it, depending on how I jimmy it in there. Also, the power, reset, and Eject buttons are being relocated to the back of the case. I am working on the layout for a dummy PCI card that would all me to move all the front accessible ports and switches to a breakout box, but I dont have time to finish it today.

What are all those weird little cut outs you ask? Well, I'll explain it layer by layer. The Sketchup files are available for download at the end as well.

The shuttle has mounting posts, so the small circles are to clear those, the small cutout is for the DVD-ROM, and the large cut out is for air flow. I may add slots for LED's in this layer as well.

The mounting posts have been cleared at this point, so the mounting holes are there to accomadate the screws. The only new thing is the slots for the LED's to provide a little glow. Another thing I forgot, I didn't round the top edges, but it'll happen when I'm building it, I just have to eye ball lol.

The slots here are to accomadate the new power LED setup, I'll draw that up in a minute.

The front will be 1/16 aluminum hopefully, and will be painted like the rest of the case. The slot in the middle is meant to allow the LED's embedded in layer 3 to shine through. Again, I forgot to add the DVD-ROM slot.

More shots of the composite

THE BOLT WAY

VIEW FROM THE BACK

JUST EASIER TO SEE
ANOTHER SHOT FROM THE BACK

Any thoughts?

Falls Included said:
im sure it will look sweet as hell, but why 4 layers... wont that just be really bulky

That's what I thought too, but it'll only be 1/16 longer than the stock shuttle faceplate. It'll weigh a lot more though. I was thinking about adding an Audio VU meter and a HDD activity meter to the front bezel, so here's another sketchup set.

Composite.jpg

Composite1.jpg

Composite2.jpg

Composite3.jpg

Plexi%20front%20-%20Layer%203.jpg

Plexi%20front%20-%20Layer%2031.jpg

Plexi%20front%20-%20Layer%204%20-%20Aluminum.jpg

Plexi%20front%20-%20Layer%204%20-%20Aluminum1.jpg

That looks awesome! It's screaming for a subtle [H] in the design of the front bezel.

I've been playing with plexi, and realized that I couldn't make two of the cuts on the first layer. They plexi would snap when I tried to drill the holes for the mouting posts after I cut the DVD ROM slot. So I've decided to change to design.

what program are you using to lay out your composits? cad?

this mod looks uber kool, i love the etching, how did you do it? polishing stone?

XeRo_Dark said:
what program are you using to lay out your composits? cad?

this mod looks uber kool, i love the etching, how did you do it? polishing stone?

I think he's using a program called "sketchup"... that or he just refers to these sorts of files as sketchups ;)

mmmm... ketchup...

Anyhow, looks rad. Good luck with that face. You might want to try and pull some some sweet effects with it.. if you've ever seen the album insert for Tool's Lateralus, you should see if you can do something like that. Just get some images and take it to kinko's and have them do transparencies, then cut to match the faces and voila. It sounds good in my head at least.

ness1469 said:
I think he's using a program called "sketchup"... that or he just refers to these sorts of files as sketchups ;).

Yeppers, Sketchup 3.1 from @last software

I have a plan for the front of the front bezel, I'll get that plan up in the next few days.

E

I was curious, do the sff cases not have the room to mount plexi inside the case? I noticed in the pics that the plexi is mounted on the outside which seems a little off. Otherwise a well designed and thought out design, keep it up!

Mach5

You probably could fit it inside if it was 1/16 or 1/32 inch thick plexi, but this wouldn't fit. It'll look good once I get it lit and redo the windows with smoother/ cleaner edges.

Thanks,

E

that is awesome endscape.. i hope we can use your skills to help make an hl2 case for me...

-warsaw

I like the look of the window on the outside of the case with bolts. The front panel is also a great idea. Keep up the good work! :)

Back