Project: MHR² (75+ pics first post)

(My apologies to anyone with a slow internet connection...:()

These are high-bay light reflectors for metal-halide bulbs. Hence the name MHR²; Metal-Halide Reflectors.
I snagged 6 of the shades since those are the only part of the light I’ll use. The shade’s diameter is 16 inches at the rim, plenty of space. The bulbs have a nasty habit of exploding, so the covers prevented the bulb from showering the area and starting a fire.
Below is a pic of a fully-built light.

mhr_raw1.jpg

Useless 175W metal halide lightbulb (un-exploded).

bulb.jpg

Boobies?

boobies1.jpg

Boobies without nipples?

boobies2.jpg

Screwed together

inside.jpg

combined.jpg

Due to its odd dimensions, the only motherboard that would properly fit (other than an ITX board) is a Shuttle board. I'll be hacking up my old SN27P2 box and using that. But that comes later.
First I wanted to work on the lower hemisphere first. This will contain the powersupply, optical drive, 2 120mm radiators, and possibly the pump. Yes, this will be a watercooled case. Air cooling the CPU and GPU is not feasible considering the constraints.

The finalized specs for the machine are:

SN27P2 motherboard, 450W PSU, various pieces from the chassis
Athlon X2 5000+ Black Edition
Sapphire Radeon HD4870 (512mb)
2GB Kingston HyperX PC8500 DDR2 RAM
Plextor PX-716AL slot-load DVDRW
Swiftech H2O-120 Premium WC kit with extra 120mm rad
Swiftech MCW60-4870 VGA block
2x 120mm white LED fans
1x 80mm white LED fan
1x 80mm aluminum fan
1 plastic 710ml Pepsi bottle

First thing to do was get the glass out of one of the covers. This will be on the bottom of the case and will be supporting the optical drive, pump, and possibly the HDD internally.

glasscover.jpg

glass-shattered.jpg

coverframe.JPG

Next i started working on the frame. The cover snaps onto the lip of the reflector with these thin aluminum hooks. Two of them will be removed and serve as a starting point for mounting aluminum flats.

frame_hook.jpg

Popped the 2 rivets out.
frame_hook_2.jpg

Basic run-of-the-mill 1/8x3/4 aluminum flats and L's. I cut the piece to approximate length and then lined it up to the frame. Marked the curve with a scratch awl.

frame_awl.JPG

alum_bar_1.jpg

alum_bar_vise.JPG

I cut some of the L-channel pieces and took them to task with my portable disc grinder. Sorry I don't have photos pre-cut, but these were the end results.

frame_L_1.JPG

frame_L_2.JPG

frame_L_3.JPG

frame_L_4.JPG

frame_L_5.JPG

frame_1.jpg

frame_2.jpg

frame_3.JPG

frame_4.jpg

Time to work on the actual reflectors now. I'll need to cut 2 holes for the rads, and a hole & square in the back for the PSU. This is a bit tricky for the Dremel being a curved surface, and no proper way to actually stabilize it.
What worked for me though was to lightly groove the surface repeatedly until it was "almost" through, and then used an Xacto blade to cut the circles out. Actually worked better than I thought it would.

reflect1.jpg

reflect2.jpg

reflect3.jpg

Mounting the PSU was going to be a trickier problem. It was one thing to measure/cut out the sections for the rads due to the ease of using a 120mm fan as a guide, but this was another. An old CD case cover would be the solution.

PSU1.jpg

PSU2.jpg

PSU3.jpg

First drilled the mounting holes and tested its fit. Good so far.

PSU4.jpg

PSU5.jpg

PSU6.jpg

Just a quick mockup of my case. Awaiting arrival of my MCW60-4870 block.

MHR_mockups002.JPG

DSCF0834.JPG

DSCF0836.JPG

Worked on the PSU fanhole awhile back, but never got around to posting.

mhr_112308001.JPG

mhr_112308002.JPG

mhr_112308003.JPG

Empty beer bottles are great for sanding!
mhr_112308004.JPG

mhr_112308005.JPG

mhr_112308006.JPG

mhr_112308007.JPG

mhr_112308008.JPG

Dont ask me what that is. Just some weird metal things I got out of the dumpster when some local haircutting place closed down.
I assume they were mounted in their workstations to hold bottles of Barbicide or hairdryers. I have some major cutting to do though on them. Need to shorten the cylinder to about a quarter inch.

Next was the mounting of the DVD drive in the lower reflector. Originally I wanted to have the drive angled up about 20-30 degrees, and had cut pieces for such a mounting. After a bit though I realized that this was somewhat more complicated than I had thought,
and would have required an extremely steady hand to properly pull off in terms of marking drillholes and the slot opening with only one hand in a very awkward position. My hands are hardly steady.
I settled on a more basic horizontal mount. Blessing in disguise as well, since doing so rotated the base frame 90 degrees. If you look at some of the photos, you'll notice that thin metal "hook" that latches around the rim of the reflector.
If I had kept the mounting to the original plan, that hook would have been on either side of the case (depending which direction the drive was mounted.) It is now at the back underneath the PSU, hidden from sight.

DSCF0895.JPG

DSCF0896.JPG

DSCF0897.JPG

DSCF0898.JPG

DSCF0899.JPG

DSCF0901.JPG

DSCF0904.JPG

DSCF0907.JPG

DSCF0908.JPG

DSCF0909.JPG

DSCF0910.JPG

DSCF0911.JPG

DSCF0912.JPG

Crappy digicam video of the DVD in action. Ignore the lame commentary on Tom Cruise's dancing in the background. The wife loves E! Access Hollywood. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3OsAMgGPPw

I try to be courteous to my fellow apartment dwellers and stop the modding by 9pm. Dremeling/filing/drilling metal as we all know can be very loud. I had to go back and cut a rectangular hole for the PSU cord and switch.

DSCF0921.JPG

DSCF0922.JPG

Next I drilled some holes so the circular rim base can be securely attached to the reflector. A single hook in the rear won't suffice.

DSCF0916.JPG

DSCF0918.JPG

Now onto the fun part! Hacking up a Shuttle chassis. Those of you that love SFF cases, please forgive me.

DSCF0923.JPG

DSCF0926.JPG

DSCF0927.JPG

DSCF0928.JPG

DSCF0929.JPG

DSCF0931.JPG

Now the test fit. Due to clearance issues with the cover, I will not be able to use the standard vertical barbs on either the CPU or GPU blocks. I have some Bitspower Rotary Angle fittings on order.
I also put a standard cutting disc on top of the glass to illustrate exactly how much space I have. It's only about 5/8 of an inch between the 4870 and the glass. The 80mm fan has about 2mm to spare!

DSCF0932.JPG

DSCF0933.JPG

DSCF0934.JPG

DSCF0935.JPG

Not much else I can do tonight really. I'm thinking of mounting one of the Shuttle's harddrive trays directly underneath the mobo tray for my HDD. I have really no other place to put it.

Just placing it for looks. I'll do the mounting tomorrow after work. Also need to get some rubber spacers to add a gap between the top of the drive and the mobo tray. Just a spare HDD for looks.
Bad enough that my DVD is IDE, no way will my HDD use that as well.

DSCF0936.JPG

DSCF0937.JPG

DSCF0938.JPG

Not looking forward to mounting the CPU block. Shuttle doesnt do anything standard, so the holes for their ICE cooler are customized for the mobo.

DSCF0942.JPG

DSCF0943.JPG

Holidays had me working 50-60 hour weeks, so at the end of the day, too bloody tired to do anything. And the wife wanted her dining room table back for guest visits. :neutral:
Now that that's all finally over and done with, I look forward to continuing this.

As you can see in my previous post, the cpu/vga block barbs were an issue. My Bitspower fittings were delivered on Wednesday and installed. Tough little suckers to get on. I still have to come up with a fix for the CPU retention plate.
The tubing's tension was lifting the CPU block up and off the proc, so you can see a reflection of my fingers holding it down in the pic.

wc_cpuvga_test_lores.jpg

Typically, retail slows down in January, so this month I can devote more time to getting this thing finished.

Very nice. I think those rings are for inserting in holes in the table to put straightening irons and curling irons (the metal helps prevent the table material from burning/melting etc.

I LOVE that idea, metal halide bulbs are crazy though. When the UV shield fails but the rest does not, they can actually give you second and third degree sun burns. That can also happen as the bulb nears the end of its life or the ballast goes bad.

It's in the first post. SN27P2. (socket AM2)

Almost done. It's "working" right now. Loaded up Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Beta. Still some things to do to it, but I can live with it in its current state til April or so. Desperately needs a paint job, but since I live in an apartment, that can only be done outside. So I gotta wait til the nice spring weather comes.
Also had a punctured rad, so the loop is only using a single 120mm right now til I get one ordered online (no local stores carry any).

MHR_b2.jpg

Just going to use the glass cover that came with the lights for now. I may be tempted to get some acrylic custom cut to replace it in the future, but its not currently in my "must-do" list.

mhr_beta1.jpg

mhr-beta1.jpg

Back