Project :: Kaiten X

Breach

Weaksauce
I present my latest project: Kaiten X. This is on a couple of other forums, but I thought I would share here too.

I saw a long time ago the Pype Invasion cases and was more or less inspired by the unique shape. While different, it was still a pretty practical case arrangement.

In the end I merged the ideas of a custom case and the X shaped chassis together.

My goals were for something fairly small (it is smaller than an Invasion) and LAN party oriented, packed full liquid cooling, plenty of space for hard drives and other gear while staying slim and logical. And of course, bling it up wherever possible :D

Stage 0.0 :: Design

0.1 Concept Sketches

0.1.1 Concept

Sketchup is good an all, but nothing beats paper and pencil for me :)
Kaiten_X_1.jpg

0.1.2 Scale Drawing

My second revision scale sketch

Kaiten_X_2.jpg

0.2 Full Scale Study Model

Then I broke out Mr. Foamcore to make a full sized model. Im not sure why but I can never get a real feel for something until it really exists. -

Kaiten_X_3.jpg

The tray is a Lian Li microATX without the back plate.

Kaiten_X_4.jpg

Kaiten_X_5.jpg

Mockup for a Danger Den MAGII LE. I have read that they have a high failure rate, so this might change.

Kaiten_X_6.jpg

Kaiten_X_7.jpg

Kaiten_X_8.jpg

The Invasion has support for a 120mm sized rad, my version takes it to a full Danger Den 240 GT.

Kaiten_X_10.jpg

The lower pods will contain hard drives and optical drives, though I haven't quite decided on the arrangement just yet.

After burning some brain oil I came up with what I think will be the final hard drive arrangement-

0.2.1 Drive Pod

Kaiten_X_22.jpg

Kaiten_X_24.jpg

Kaiten_X_25.jpg

I allowed some space for 40mm fans in the back of the cage. The drive pod will be separated from the motherboard side in the end.

Stage 1 :: Construction

1.1 Core Frame

1.1.1 Front and Rear Plates

Though still designing some parts of this thing, I started construction of the initial framework.

Kaiten_X_19.jpg

Kaiten_X_16.jpg

I found this giant sheet of orange 5mm cast acrylic sitting out in the back of a sign shop. Looked like they just used it outside to paint stuff on :shock: Given no laws in my state about public trash, it was quickly brought home :D

Kaiten_X_20.jpg

Kaiten_X_18.jpg

The first plate was nearly done. I had some severe problems with my Jigsaw though. While cutting the blade would deflect and no longer cut straight, so it was a battle the whole way through. I'm not totally sure, but I think it was because the tool was just too cheap. Ironically, it is laser guided!

Kaiten_X_21.jpg

As dusk came on I was sick of my Jigsaw and switched to my coping saw to finish it up.

Kaiten_X_17.jpg

Under moonlight both were finished aside some filing and sanding. The protective paper looks all scratched up (and it is), but only the edges will show through.

Kaiten_X_26.jpg

great mate..just great..but it might be i bit hard to work inside the case!!(plug and unplug graphic cards..etc!!)i really want to see the final piece.

looks sweet, i like the concept. the only thing i'd worry about is the hard drives getting enough air. after one of my drives bit the dust i've always been pretty concerned about the hard drives getting too hot

Thanks guys!

@psychoti yes this is true! I plan on really hammering out the wiring and liquid system to get the mess to a minimum.

@awoeonip I too am concerned on this point. The drive do have a bit of space around them to allow for airflow, I have another trick up my sleeve to have active cooling in the drive pod.

Alrighty, just have a micro update for today.

Kaiten_X_27.jpg

I had some trouble finding a good source for acrylic, but alas, my long search is over!

Tap Plastics as it turned out had what I was looking for in the form of Solar Gray acrylic, which is basically a smoked look. I ordered 2 sample squares to make sure the colors were right. This stuff is 3mm, so the 5mm should be darker.

Kaitne_X_28.jpg

Tinker Belle approves :cool:

0.2.2 Onboard Display Mockup

Kaitne_X_29.jpg

I've had a PSone screen kicking around for far too long, so I am going to mount it in Kaiten X

Kaitne_X_30.jpg

I am going to go to my plastic supplier tomorrow to hopefully bring home some 5mm smoked acrylic so i can keep building, assuming I dont find some in the garbage before that :D. Here is a rough idea of what I plan to do for the basic frame -

Kaitne_X_31.jpg

Looks interesting... I'm going to have to make a custom case someday.. All youcrazy modders inspire mee to do more.

sweet, i love watercooling!

oh right, that x thing is alright too :p

Thanks guys!

My trip to the plastics store turned out even better that I could have hoped. Not only did I get the smoked acrylic I was looking for, but I also found these babies-

Kaiten_X_37.jpg

These are special blades for cutting thick acrylic! I had just about given up hope on using my jigsaw for this build, but these really saved the day. They cut smooth and straight. They are relatively rough compared with a standard 18TPI metal/plastics blade.

Given the new blades, I got some good work time in. 8)

1.1.2 Core Supports Motherboard Tray, Drive Rails, and Radiator Support

Kaiten_X_33.jpg

Kaiten_X_35.jpg

I made a little design change here from my model and decided to integrate the mobo tray and the drive rail into a single piece. Here is also the beginning of the Radiator support.

Kaiten_X_32.jpg

Kaiten_X_34.jpg

I also decided to do away with most of the Lian Li mobo tray and use just the backplate, eventually riveted into place. Simplicity when possible is one of my modding mantras :)

Kaiten_X_36.jpg

Kaiten_X_41.jpg

I reused the Lian Li mobo standoffs. Tapping wasn't necessary as it turned out, I just placed them and cranked them in, they seem solid.

Kaiten_X_38.jpg

Kaiten_X_39.jpg

Kaiten_X_40.jpg

Using a stepper drill bit I countersunk the holes for the hard drive screws. I found some goofy long bolts in my parts stash that had enough length to work. One of those rare moments having a lot of extra stuff can work for you :D

Kaiten_X_42.jpg

After cutting out the opposite drive rail, this is what I ended up with so far.

what are your plans for the PSone LCD? hook it up to a secondary VGA or something? I am also planning a building with a PSone screen and looking for ideas ATM.

Whoa! How about an update!

Yes, it has been about 3 months since an update. Why this is?

Well, I came to a point where I realized that most of my hobbies had been curbing me to not pursue my true dreams career wise. For about 7 years I've had my foot about half in, for some reasons I needed to really go further. So, things like Kaiten took a back seat for a while, giving birth to my new small business, LangearXL.

As much of the heavy lifting is done I have resurrected my efforts on Kaiten in the last few weeks while doing business as well.

With my renewed interest in the project I am also hoping to bring more quality to this log with better pictures (bad bad bad) and hopefully video updates soon, so it is a rebirth in a few ways ;)

So, let's get to it!

First here is where we left off, with the rough core frame pieces being cut-

Kaitne_X_31_001.jpg

The back plate received some polishing treatment

Kaitne_X_38.jpg

Drive rails drilled to use a bolt/grommet arrangement

1.1.2.1 Radiator Support Ascetics

Kaitne_X_37.jpg

Naturally, the first thing I had was a problem! While carving out the hole for the radiator barbs, the acrylic managed to crack. Luckily part of the plan was a cover for this area so the actual acrylic will not be seen, so I used a little acrylic solvent to glue it back together. It is very watery so the solvent went right into the crack. It is ugly, but just as strong as the original.

Kaitne_X_33.jpg

A few designs

Kaitne_X_40.jpg

I cut 7 of these with a fret saw. After a test fit 7 seemed like plenty over the 11 in my concept

Kaitne_X_47.jpg

Under the slats you can see the aluminum cover made from scrap Lian Li aluminum (dont ask :rolleyes: )

Kaitne_X_41.jpg

Kaitne_X_42.jpg

Even a steady hand with a fret saw it is impossible to get the exact same shape without some tweaking, so I clamped them together to receive some love from my Dremel.

Kaitne_X_43.jpg

Light will come from 7 ultrabright orange LEDs

Kaitne_X_44.jpg

A first for one of my mods was the use of electrical perf board to keep things nice and neat. Originally I tried this with a single piece, but the spacing of the slats made it impossible. I ended up making a configuration of 2x2x2x1.

Kaitne_X_45.jpg

After some trial and error the light boards work!

Kaitne_X_39.jpg

With the help of my new best workshop friend for some flame polishing...

Kaitne_X_46.jpg

This is what I got! The aluminum will be polished at some point.

Progress is still slow, so hopefully I will be farther along soon, and post more often than every 3 months!

WOW @ those LED's, what a nice touch!! :D

Definitely can't wait to see more! :p

Subscribed.

Can you go into a little more detail ont he flame polishing of the acrylic? I udnerstand how it works, but I wanna see it in action.

Back