[Project] Interior Des(k)ign - SR-2 inside

Wejjy

n00b
Been working on this for a while, but thought Id add my build log on here as it seems a cool forum! Hope you dont mind!?!

Project: Interior Des(k)ign

So Ive been planning and workin on this project for some time now, I had to save up a bit to get the big parts but finally got my dream specced Pc to build. Yes, it is older tech but ive wanted this since it was released, and finally ive got my hands on it.

I have been working on this for a couple of weeks now, I waited as I work slowly, free time is not very forthcoming so I waited until I had a but to put here first.

I already made the desk for my previous stop gap PC but with the intention of starting this build eventually, heres the desk before my build....

8e1487d0.jpg

During the build

bd404726.jpg

Completed in its first incarnation

The plan though was to turn it into something far better. I wanted to incorporate a beast inside the desk, so did a very quick sketchup of the desk and how it could look

5538581e.jpg

So thats the plan....

Heres the progress so far.

I am using a mixture of metals for this build, mostly steel 1.2mm, but also a little aluminium throughout, none of it will be left bare, the finish has already been decided upon inside and out.

I will let the photos do the rest of the explaining

c071b666.mp4

Can you guess what it is yet?

Its a plasma cutter, my favourite tool!!

a7b52668.jpg

Thats what it does

55a31030.jpg

6fc4c30c.jpg

d7838d88.jpg

e90896fc.jpg

Coming together to form the hdd hot swap bay front

Onto the righht hand side...

77cb2374.jpg

1d6bb6ee.jpg

What for? You'll see...

7afccd58.jpg

Onto the center panel now, which will house two 120mm fans and an Aquero controller and various other bits like a hidden USB panel and the Switches

b652a505.jpg

For the Aquacomputer grills, again cut with the plasma cutter

881c2407.jpg

f20c498d.jpg

Welded the 3 pieces together to see how we are going so far...ok

I didnt take any in progress pictures of the Drive holder being made...sorry, but it fits!

816a15da.jpg

cf49b640.jpg

I added 2mm adhesive backed neoprene to the fronts of the drives and checked for fitment, they need a little tweaking to line up perfectly bu this was a trial run so theres plenty of time to perfect it. Plus I need to make covers from steel for the drive trays and buttons yet.

0a9d73f8.jpg

On the other side I fitted the hot swap HDD trays to check how they looked, they fit perfectly, it was stolen from a donor 800D and is a great design!

Next was a trial fit of the beast, guess what it is...

23ca6fd6.jpg

Any guesses?

Too slow guessing....

This is what it is! My uber fave!!!

14d0ccec.jpg

An EVGA SR-2... Ive got the full water block for it, 24gb Corsair Ram, and two hex core Xeons to go into it. Its going to be a dual loop monster, with everything watercooled that I possibly can! Its all planned out so I cant wait to get it done!

I spent a little time laying things out to see how various designs would look, heres where I got to...

75e28eef.jpg

2b4a23f9.jpg

This is where I plan to put the rads, if you reference to the first pictures of the desk you can see where this panel fits.

b3f2a73b.jpg

Some close-ups of the SR-2

88fc3c3c.jpg

Cant emphasise how big this thing is, it puts my current REII to shame, it dwarfs it totally!

5a6e0e72.jpg

5047330f.jpg

x2

42347c30.jpg

I'm fitting the waterblocks soon, but I need some thermal pads first so need to order those asap...

02b8805d.jpg

f830f198.jpg

Also received a lovely delivery from Nils haha!

2edcb349.jpg

411ac5de.jpg

Plus some other hardware ive saved up for

05f5f99a.jpg

As for what I got done today, I wanted to carry on making the rear of the case, so I started off by plasma cutting a 170mm x 720mm piece of steel and the folding the ends according to the plans, I bought a metal folder a while back, which I use to start the bend, but I always finish it off with a body hammer and dollies! Old skool!!

c818fb5f.jpg

The result after hammer and dolly work...

2915678e.jpg

I then mocked up where the internally fitted rads would go, by simpply placing the fans on the steel, looking like it will all fit in nicely

c1579044.jpg

My next job was to take the whole front off the case and modify it to fit the two EK reservoirs which I now want on show, but before I started I dropped the lid on to mark a few thing out on the wood internally for the cooling...

13c6a26a.jpg

Then I stripped it down and started undoing all of my hard work. I will weld the bottom of the now redundant fan holes up, and then start making the rear part to mount the EK res's into the front panel...

Before...

42f8718c.jpg

After...

bc28eca5.jpg

Awesomeness warning!

My delivery from EK (my sponsor) arrived today, to say Im chuffed is an understatement, I'll let the pictures do the talking...

74d9c6eb.jpg

6875fcb4.jpg

3e3a8c95.jpg

Then the fun part started, unwrapping goodies!

fa201760.jpg

I even got an EK hat, and a cup warmer! How cool! Thanks Gregor!

I also received an ARMY...

cfc8fed2.jpg

ARMY of fittings, these are amazingly good quality, the 90 and 45 degree fittings are really nice, and they have been designed to flow well too, I cant wait to get connecting them all up!

c90cd879.jpg

One more gratuitous shot...

eaf42426.jpg

And also my delivery for some other bits arrived, these were just for the cooling, and of course the compulsory 2nd SSD!

8eee9c9b.jpg

Now Ive just got some serious amounts of work to do... I am planning to do a bit tomorrow as Ive planned to spend the afternoon at my workshop so hopefully the case will moe along a bit tomorrow, I'll update when I get 5mins free.

Had a couple of hours spare today whilst I was waiting for deliveries so carried on modding peripherals for the final PC, here's what I ended up with after a couple of hours work with my trusty Vidal Sassoon Hairdryer!

71d885d0.jpg

ae6bb4e5.jpg

And with the mouse I modded in the above video...

4e6c4e3a.jpg

Update 3/12/2011

Ok, made it up to my workshop this afternoon for a while, the 8mm steel bar section I ordered didnt arrive, so I was limited to what I could do, but I carried on with a few things, heres the progress.

First up I needed to finish off the modification of my fan holes to reservoir holes as explained previously in the thread I changed the plan, so had to weld up the old hole and make the EK bayspin Res fit, well, one side is done, just the other to do, not the best job, but I will tidy the welds etc at a later date so no worries! First ipup I made the side plates, I want these to be invisible when its done, so I made a template first and then cut them out with the plasma... Here they are fitted...

9336a51a.jpg

1ff0051c.jpg

Needed to fill the gap at the bottom, so cut out a piece for that and welded it in too...

af988727.jpg

All in...

55095e45.jpg

3e297919.jpg

Trial fitting of the reservoir with a couple of old fittings attached...

49de4907.jpg

aa574de0.jpg

Like a glove :)

Then moved on to the ally panels that line the inside of the case to hide cables etc, these were tidied up, and the holes drilled for the standoffs to be fitted, these are also 8mm high so they will coincide with the 8mm steel bar that will be welded to perimiter steelwork of the case.

686e502b.jpg

efced773.jpg

737a66f3.jpg

Then it was time to crack out the plasma again and cut a hole in my hard work, seems to be the thing with this hobby, create it, then cut it up a bit! Fun times!

e4b373a1.jpg

Didnt have a former for this so had to use an old hammerite can instead, then rely on the trusty file!

21e371a0.jpg

This gives you an idea of how it will fit...

ee400e76.jpg

c1f51420.jpg

Those fans will be sunk into the wood so that they dont stick up too high, the gaps are important for my other plans in the build...

adfc7352.jpg

The rad is sitting 8mm too high at that, but it gives you an idea.

Thanks again to my sponsors

47ac1b4f.jpg

Ok so made some more progress today on the case itself as my 8mm steel arrived. So did my Aquaero but I'll save that for another day... So the 8mm steel is to line the perimeter of the case, to strengthen it considerably.

cb51fa64.jpg

I had to be careful not to distort the panels of sheet steel, so I clamped it well and worked slowly to save the heat building too much in any one area.

2dba5c1e.jpg

Started on the rear panel as it was the easiest.

6a0a9e60.jpg

38bb82c5.jpg

Then moved onto the front of the case. I removed the aluminium angle as it looked a little messy and I had always planned to use this but had to wait.

e5fcf73c.jpg

ca2af907.jpg

458930e3.jpg

01cb3da2.jpg

Its so much stronger now and holds its shape when I move it around the workshop.

Next job was to install the rad and fans on the rear panel so I worked to my plans again, slowly drawing things out and then out with the plasma to cut a bit more of my hard work up!

16d78504.jpg

d8a8e272.jpg

Then cut it!

e597f8c2.jpg

d25810d7.jpg

Result!

So on with the fans and rad for a trial fit...

39b42dd5.jpg

cc257c98.jpg

All fits exactly like it should, I'll do the other side next and then I can focus on the 2nd Reservoir and the Aquaero mounting. Then its onto the motherboard mounting tray and cooling etc etc. im happy so far as I can see it all coming together, and things that look scary at them moment (ie the colour of the steel) I know I can fix easily so I can see past it.

Thanks again to

47ac1b4f.jpg

Updated 7/12/2011

Got a fair bit done today, wont say too much as I dont think people read it anyway, so here are the photos from the days progress...

0dd1254a.jpg

Cut down the motherboard tray and put the 20mm standoffs on it so its now sitting in the case.

040ad72e.jpg

57ce0ae1.jpg

Cut the Ally plate for the right hand side and fitted it around the Drive bays, dont worry I tidied the edges a lot befor fitting I just forgot to take a photo...

75% there

c9d9f5ac.jpg

9ca40dee.jpg

I ordered a router today, it should arrive tomorrow so I can carry on with the fan placement as it is holding me up a little now.

26e242aa.jpg

Rear right hand panel in progress

e9e4e28e.jpg

In place

15607f94.jpg

90b60bf4.jpg

Thanks again to my sponsor

b6b8aaeb.jpg

Minor update 10/12/2011

Received my router yesterday so had a little time tolay with it, Ive never used a router before so it was a little scary, but after a bit of headscratching (obligatory I believe!) I got stuck in. First job was to make something to enable me to route a circle of 120mm. So found a scrap piece of laminate floor and knocked something up. Simples!!

6d34354e.jpg

4ba7594b.jpg

After a little measuring, heres the results...

b1d291c8.jpg

40a51ef4.jpg

It helps me appreciate the skills of modders who work with wood, its a really nice material, but its the polar opposite of metal work! Reeee-spect!

d3ccc29c.jpg

Next step was to sink the fans into the desk... I was scared at this point, did it in a few passes so as not to burn anything!

cfc00ab5.jpg

74957388.jpg

Chuffed with how it turned out, but this took me aaaages!

878bb3e2.jpg

Underneath... Needs sanding etc but looks ok.

812da4ed.jpg

With ally plate in place to give the idea of how it all works...

32b304ef.jpg

181aac2a.jpg

Thats all for now folks!

------

Thanks to my sponsors:

Updated 11/12/2011

Ok so had some time free today, but not enough to trek all the way to my workshop, so thought I'd start on the mobo and the multitude of blocks that I have to fit. I must say, EK are awesome, and their new fitting mech for the CPU blocks is great, so much easier than the old type. As for the fittings, theyre awesome, I will never use any others again as these just work... Heres the photos folks, hope you enjoy!

8ccaf87e.jpg

Dinner time! Not!

e5286511.jpg

113b5c4d.jpg

Cleaned up the blocks with two stage arcti-clean, smells strange but does the job well!

45530c42.jpg

d5bf332c.jpg

Air cooling is gone! Cleaned chips up and applied pads where required... Took a while as a couple of screws had gone awry! Doh!

d5bf332c.jpg

Onto the Dominator RAM blocks, one of my favourite EK products, they look amazing lit up...

596bed41.jpg

Getting there.

c1d9f0d9.jpg

7688365b.jpg

540dea03.jpg

b3b8e0e4.jpg

623424bc.jpg

Shiny shinies! Now for the difficult part, think Ive got it right as I want the tubing to be as low profile as possible because its in the desk, Im happy with how it looks.

6c236833.jpg

Dual loops are so much more difficult to keep tidy!

7a6d63ed.jpg

6fefb267.jpg

I love this GPU.

Ready....

d61bdc4e.jpg

9e471f4c.jpg

Getting there, just need to get the desk finished. Metalwork should be done this week although I have a busy week, hoping to get it in paint asap, then onto the wiring which to put it nicely should be a NIGHTMARE!

Oh well, be worth it in the end, thanks for all the kind words so far folks, keep them coming!

Thanks again to my sponsors:

Update 19/12/2011

Havent been able to get a lot done as work has been crazy recently and I currently have family staying with me so its a little busy! But here are some progress shots from the last two visits to the workshop...

I started off modifying the front panel to take the second reservoir as it was still cut for the fans so I welded it up and cut the right size hole out.

2ebaa20a.jpg

9f78a2f5.jpg

I reinforced the edges with 8mm square steel and then set about cutting the slot for the aquaero, it was easy enough and fits really nicely...

10b1fdb0.jpg

Marked up and fixing holes drilled...

Out with the plasma cutter...

b20f42f4.jpg

Sorted...

6be81927.jpg

Looks good at the back too but I need to make a cover for the aquaero as it will have a LOT of wiring to and from!

4827f760.jpg

Then I moved onto the front again, sanded it all down and started filling it as I want it as straight as possible, so I put a couple of thinnish layers of polyester filler on and sanded it down, the problem is that the temperature is so low thatbit takes forever to dry ready for sanding, so I put a layer on then leave it until next time! Its almost there though, soon I will be painting it! Yippee!

4833b73a.jpg

09f30ab6.jpg

Oh and I routed out a hole for the access to the rear of the motherboard and cut the aluminium cover panel too! Exciting stuff...

4b818da2.jpg

Until next time, thanks for following!

Thanks again to my sponsors:

Updated 21/12/2011

Limited progress today but steady is the name of this game, especially considering the cold wet weather, its not ideal for filling or spraying in. I will need to use a little more filler but its 80% there I think.

7417e8a0.jpg

I did a little more on the back panels before spraying them, first up cleaned off the rust, then cut the original idea out so that I can sink the rads through the rear panel slightly.

44c1681d.jpg

50f83406.jpg

58bd1367.jpg

Next week this will definitely be painted!

Excellent build, I'm thoroughly impressed. I love watching skilled people do seemingly-impossible things with a hammer and dolly. I am curious though, where are you from? I've never heard the word 'chuffed' before. :D

Well, I cant guess on the car myself, but nice work on the case brother! :)

Not sure on the car, could be an Austin Healey, or one of those VW Cabriolet's?

Interesting build, and subbing.

I want to build a custom desk like this someday. Just seems the only way you will ever get a desk that does everything you want at a size you want.

Excellent build, I'm thoroughly impressed. I love watching skilled people do seemingly-impossible things with a hammer and dolly. I am curious though, where are you from? I've never heard the word 'chuffed' before. :D

Thankyou very much, I wouldnt say im skilled, just determined and mybfather has taught me a LOT of skills that are classed as old-school which is cool. Im from Droitwich Spa, and the word chuffed means im happy/pleased with something!

Well, I cant guess on the car myself, but nice work on the case brother! :)

The car is a 1962 Karmann Ghia, its another of many projects! Thanks

Quite amazing work going on here!

Definitely subbed!

Thanks again mate, im trying to make it a little different!

Not sure on the car, could be an Austin Healey, or one of those VW Cabriolet's?

Interesting build, and subbing.

Almost there on the car, as stated above its a Karmann Ghia, which is a type of VW, so close! Thanks for watching!

I want to build a custom desk like this someday. Just seems the only way you will ever get a desk that does everything you want at a size you want.

It is indeed the only way, I got fed up of trying to make things that I bought fit, and decided this was the only option... Go for it!

Almost there on the car, as stated above its a Karmann Ghia, which is a type of VW, so close! Thanks for watching!

Couldn't think of the name, remembered it was a VW of sorts, used to see a nice kind of eggplant mauve one on a daily basis go up and down the street.

Tiny update as Ive had a busy week, ive specced up a few bits to send off to the laser cutters for the internals, but ive also managed to do a little more woodwork. It takes sooooo long compared to metalwork, but Im so glad I finally got myself a router!

Heres the progress...

086b702e.jpg

Routed out the sunk in recesses for the other fans

0046933c.jpg

Then I recessed the edge of the motherboard panel so it sits flush with the woodwork, got it right first time which was a relief!

75e39614.jpg

bbcd19ca.jpg

5c27cb49.jpg

Thats it, but I have worked out a cable routing plan and these will be routed into the wood base too, theres sooooo much wiring in this thing its untrue. Im working on a current following device so that I can use a single channel on the fan controller to control a bank of 3 fans, without overloading anything, these will all be incorporated and hidden underneath too.

Been away on hols but managed to get these sketchup renders/plans done and wondered what you guys think? Any constructive criticism would be appreciated...

308bacba.jpg

df642b70.jpg

Thanks guys, I had a chat with a local firm about getting some parts laser cut so I should be working on it this weekend a little more. Updates on the way!!

Back