Project: Ignis -=- Watercooled MicroATX

3N1GM4

Limp Gawd
from-to.jpg

See how i do this...

ok so here is my first real project log... its for Project Ignis (ignis = latin for fire)

ok to start it off i began with a old ass micro atx case, and then drew on some flames... hehe, they are easy and i can do them well, so yup they went on...
drawn.jpg

then i used the :dremel: DREMEL! :dremel: and cut out the basic shap of the window i plan on using.

cutting.jpg

after finishing that i got the final cut out
cut.jpg

and then came the tedius part... grinding it down.

grindin1.jpg

sparks.jpg

after the grinding was all finished up, i had the completed window (well not completely but just a few minor sanding jobs here and there)

finished.jpg

layed.jpg

side.jpg

dont worry thats not the system that i will be using that in that comp right now, i will be using what is in my sig :D

there will most likely be weekly updates after the weekend and maybe a few here and there... but this will probably be a slow log.... let me know if you have suggestions on the front...

now if these images are too big, please let me know and i will resize them asap...

-={--minor update--}=-

after cutting out all the stamped in steel
cutting-nibs.jpg

sparks2.jpg

I added some steel support for the fan hole before i cut it out next time i have a chance to work on it... the support is to keep the "slits" from falling out

sheetmetal.jpg

withsheet.jpg

stack.jpg

and then after setting that all up, i went to work drawing the new flames onto the back...

back-flames.jpg

thats it for now... watch out for more soon

thanks for all the good responses so far, really making me feel good :D :rock:

richman said:
hows about you give us a taster of what else you have done :rock:

alrighty... new update...

decided to work on the front of the case today, as i wanted to get an idea of where im going with it lol...

i was originally gunna go for just a 120 duct straight to where the radiator was going to be, but i though it would look odd for such a big hole to be on such a little case... so i went with 4 40 mm holes using pvc pipe...

here the first test layout i did...

testlayout.jpg

and then i glued and sanded down the tubes of pvc
aftersandingfront.jpg

remember to wear a mask like i didnt lol
aftersanding.jpg

then i slapped on the bondo and let it dry
bondo1.jpg

sanded it down smooth, added a thin second layer
bondo2.jpg

sanded and ended up with this...
afterbondo.jpg

front-angle.jpg

i think they/it turned out really good, i might add another coat of bondo before paint, but im not sure yet, i have some more ideas for the front that i will be putting into action later this week or next weekend, whenever i go home next hehe

well, the rear of the case doesnt, or should i say didnt, have a rear exhaust fan so i whipped out my dremel :dremel: and cut away...

rear-before.jpg

rear-after.jpg

turned out pretty good, and should look killer when i get a fan grill on it...

and then disaster
side-disaster.jpg

the steel plate i was using to keep all the stamped parts held on, decided that epoxy is not good enough and let go of the pieces... so i decided to just cut the side out in a circle and make one from some spare steel or aluminun or possibly some acrylic or something... ill figure that one out later on, thats all i got done tonight, and will hopefully get some more done on friday or saturday...

let me know what you think.. thanks

Alrighty, let me start of with the finished side panel... cut sanded, bondoed, and sanded again

side-cut.JPG

side-bondo.JPG

side-finished.JPG

then i began on mounting the radiator....
-------------------------------------------------
first i drew out where i wanted it to be, after a couple of tries got it right...
test.JPG

pre-cut.JPG

after some testing, i went ahead and cut it out
rad-cut.JPG

then i went ahead and screwed it down, and slid in the mobo (new YAY), here you can see how close of a fit it is in there, it is a tiny ass case...
mobo-rad.JPG

due to power cords and ide cables, the rad will have to be mounted "upside down"
installed.JPG

and here is a shot with the front on, looking into the radiator from the front
front.JPG

more to come in the following weeks, so yay, more work done, and more to come... :rock: :dremel:

Well because i decided where to mount my pump (in the 3.5 holder) i needed to find a place for my 2 hard drives.. well the top bay, and well i didnt want my 2 hdd's sitting in the top of the case with no air, i decided to make a "hard drive cooler"
fanpanel1.JPG

after the initial fittings (bondo to hold the tubes in place)
fanpanel2.JPG

after cutting them down to size
fanpanel3.JPG

first coat of bondo
fanpanel4.JPG

after alot of sanding, and well sanding
fanpanel5.JPG

and 293847 hours later :p the "final" version
fanpanel6.JPG

and the whole case put together, and stuff

fanpanel7.JPG

fanpanel8.JPG

i did this last night, so be ready for another update today

:dremel:

i admit i was doubtful at first, but i sorta like where this is headed.

keep posting. good shit.

Originally posted by hardwired
i admit i was doubtful at first, but i sorta like where this is headed.

keep posting. good shit.
:eek: doubtful :( lol, another update should be coming tomorrow so stay tuned

Question:

I have a bunch of area's on my case that have, shall we say, holes *cough*screwups*cough* that I want to cover up. Where you cut out the vent holes, then bondo'd over them, how well will that bondo stay in the holes? I was tempted to try that myself but wasnt sure if the bondo would stay in the holes or just pop out. To give you a better idea, this is one of the area's I want to touch up:

case024.jpg

and here *look at the back of the case where the 120 is mounted, you'll see the holes around the fan and where the power cord comes in*

newside02.jpg

the bondo is in there quite well, though i do have a mm thick coat on the back of them though... you could still make that look good, if you can see it with the sides on.... bondo is meant for body filling so its not that bad... or if your still worried, they do make a fiberglass re-inforced bondo... that would probably be the best for you delima

I really really like it personally. I like a small, clean lined, compact case. I think I might actually buy myself a darned mini tower now....

i want to see more its given me a few ideas for when i watercool my server

It's looking good so far man! Can't wait to see what it tunrs out looking like in the end.

Alrighty, got the pump mounted and its in there good :D

i put it in the HDD rack, and then cut a hole in the bottom of the rack to:
A: have enough room, and to bring it down a lil bit, cause it was too tall.
B: to have the outlet of the pump facing down.

so here are the pics

drew up the hole, and cut it...
pumpcase1.JPG

pumpcase2.JPG

Test fitted the pump... it works
pumpcase3.JPG

then i added rubber molding that i picked up from "Autozone" to cut down on vibrations, and to avoid scratching the hell out of the pump casing.
pumpcase4.JPG

Then came the tricky part... holding the pump in...

What i did was I took some flexible steel "strips" that had hole already in them, drilled 4 holes on the side of the case (2 on each) and inserted bolts.
i was originally going to use nuts on the bolts, but the holes in the "strips" fit the bolts perfectly, and they could screw into them. Then i bent down the ends of the strips about 1/2 inch short... i did this, because when the bolts go in, and the strip is tightend down, it will pull downward and hold the pump in place... here how it looks, not the prettiest thing, but it gets the job done. and no one will ever see the strips, as they will be against the bottom of the cd rack.
pumpcase5.JPG

and it all mounted inside the case...
pumpcase6.JPG

pumpcase7.JPG

i feel i should let you know, i really like where this mod is headed.

keep on posting updates.

O, and i got the front primered yesterday aswell...

primerfront.JPG

there are a few imperfections, that will have to be sanded down, and possibly worked out with some bondo :D but i should have the side pannel bondo'ed up (finished) and primered today as well

very nice work, i must say its good to see creativity in the young people these days, maybe bondo the bottom so it doesnt have those shitty air vent thingys.

Nice job.

How is that motherboard? I've been wanting to get it and play with it in my MATX box

I noticed the way you dremel, you go a bit away from the line and totally grind away the rest. Does that work well? How do the edges turn out?

Ive tried a few different ways so far, mainly cutting close with the dremel and filing or grinding down... I get some rough edges sometimes with sharp angles.

Looks great.

You never want to cut right on the line, that is how you get screw ups. Always cut alittle away from the line and then file...file...file.

JEEVES

Originally posted by File
I noticed the way you dremel, you go a bit away from the line and totally grind away the rest. Does that work well? How do the edges turn out?

Ive tried a few different ways so far, mainly cutting close with the dremel and filing or grinding down... I get some rough edges sometimes with sharp angles.

Looks great.

The only reason i cut that far out, was because it was so "sharp" curves, and i couldnt really get into tight spaces with the dremel...

on the straight lines, i basically cut on the line, and it turned out great...

the grinding works well, though it does a doosy on the grinding stones lol... but it worked nicely

ill get a pic of the primered side up asap

alrighty, like i said, pics of the primered side

Before i primered it, and after a couple more coats of bondo (just to get it perfect

before.JPG

then i applied the primer, and let it dry, and put it on the case...
primer-side.JPG

front-side.JPG

and a final shot, of the pump mounted along with the radiator...
pump-rad.JPG

thats about it, this project is gunna probably slow down untill i get some cash, or summer comes (my school stops May 7) so stay tuned... im sure ill keep working on it anyways :D

Looking better and better with each update! Keep up the good work and sell something to fund the rest of this project if you have to :p

Will

Originally posted by Will013
Looking better and better with each update! Keep up the good work and sell something to fund the rest of this project if you have to :p

Will

o dont worry, i should be getting a job, and well the gamecube is out of here lol ;)

Wow. That's a really cool looking mod. And it looks like you will be able to just fit everything in there... How is the fan going to be mounted on the rad? I would figure you'd use a shroud or some sort to move it away from the ide slots... that thing is going to be so compact.. and it's probably gonna have great airflow... That fan from the rad is gonna blow right on the vidcard... That's so awesome dude. NICE WORK!!!:D

this is coming out really great.

i'm very impressed.

what is the final colour going to be? if you did it in gloss black with like really subtle red and yellow highlights on the flame tips (like, little wavy streaks) it would look amazing. if you need me to explain i'll make you a picture.

Back