Project: HRG Tribute, unknown mATX case.

bonzanego

Gawd
The complete image gallery from start to finish is here:
http://bonzai-mods.com/index.php?act=gallery&do=1&cat=giger
The whole worklog is over at Controlled-Insanity:
http://www.controlled-insanity.com/Forum/index.php

I still have to put the plexi windows in and the lights.
Other than that it is done. I will put up the pics of it lighted in the near future. Look for a write up on this case on Controlled-Insanity also in the near future.
If you are going to attend the LPANE lan event in Boston this April you can see this case in person.

IMG_2986.jpg

IMG_2987.jpg

IMG_2988.jpg

IMG_2989.jpg

IMG_2990.jpg

IMG_2991.jpg

IMG_2992.jpg

IMG_2993.jpg

Good job Bonz. *sigh* I was planning on a Gigeresque mod (no where to that degree) I've even started it up and taken some pics...but now it'll look like I'm just trying to follow the trend. I'm still going to go ahead with it as it's what I personally want done to my case. You think anyone will label me with ahving a lack of an imagination if I post a worklog after this?

You think anyone will label me with ahving a lack of an imagination if I post a worklog after this?
I would hope not, Giger's work has influenced the entire world of art and popular culture. His style and subject matter are meaty and tasty so it is not suprising that many people feel the need to emulate and sample his work in thier own. So if that is the kind of case you like I would say certainly make it for yourself. In the end it really does not matter what people think.

bonzanego said:
I would hope not, Giger's work has influenced the entire world of art and popular culture. His style and subject matter are meaty and tasty so it is not suprising that many people feel the need to emulate and sample his work in thier own. So if that is the kind of case you like I would say certainly make it for yourself. In the end it really does not matter what people think.
Right, thanks. What I'm going for will look nothing like yours or anything. You just make a tough act to follow. Lol. Awsome work as usual.

On another note, I actually saw one of your fan grills in an ad in this months MaximumPC. Not advertising you specifically, but an online store. It's good to see our regulars here making an impact on the scene like this.

That must have taken forever, even if it was manufactured. It looks liek somehting form a haunted house ride or something...

good god that looks good.

now be sure to grace that case with only the finest hardware (fx55 etc :p )

That must have taken forever, even if it was manufactured. It looks liek somehting form a haunted house ride or something...
Funny oyu should say that about the haunted house, Giger maintained a haunted house ride of his own design as a boy.
I have about 45 hours worth of sculpting in it, every single part with the exception of the red spheres and some metal/wooden rods that are part of the surface are hand sculpted. None of these decorations are lifted from model kits, only from my head with a seasoning of Giger.

I know thats Giger's work on that back panel. You gotta watch out, his lawyers are quite lawsuite happy over his work being used without his permission, whether or not you makeing money off of it. I don't know what basis they would have for a non-profit tribute, but they have sent out threat letters under similar senarios for stuff that just "resembles" his work.

Yes quite amazing, 1 question though, what did you use (i.e. clay, syntetic, bondo, etc.) for sculping? or do you have a link where some sort of instructions show how and what to use in order to make something like this?this? :confused:

Wow! That is an incredibly well done project. The level of Detail is amazing!!! Excellence.

Yes quite amazing, 1 question though, what did you use (i.e. clay, syntetic, bondo, etc.) for sculping? or do you have a link where some sort of instructions show how and what to use in order to make something like this?this?
You cannot use clay for this, it will not bond to the metal very well, if you look at some of the early images of this project in my gallery you will see an attempt to use clay in the top ribs of the case, it simply cracks and falls off. I had to remove it and start over.
Bondo cures way too fast to model with sculpting tool, you could carve it after it sets up, but this level of detail carving would not be possible. Also if you put bondo on this thick it would eventually crack and fall off when the panels are flexed.
This stuff is somthing I mixed up, it bonds to metal better than bondo and will not come off no matter how much the metal flexes. It is much harder than bondo. You cannot buy it in a store, I might sell it in my own store in the future though.

bloody hell, thats frikin' awesome, nice work, that is some real crazy art you got there man. awesome. 11/10!

The Giger is being published in a European Modding Magazine this month so I finished the last few things on it so it could be photographed. Below are the last images of the Giger I will be taking. I have added in the windows and replaced all the buttons, usb ports and finished off the front intakes with some meshing.
I apologize to those of you running 800x600. resolution, I left the images at a decent size to show detail.
IMG_3260.jpg

IMG_3255.jpg

IMG_3254.jpg

IMG_3253.jpg

IMG_3251.jpg

As you can see in this last photo, the case is very small, only about 3 sharpies high :)
IMG_3262.jpg

wagualahawagaaha ahhh damn my keyboard just fried from all the drool. then again how would I type this :D

Back