Project Glass: Live Demo At Google I/O

Ok, that doesn't make glass any more impressive. They seemed to focus on something entirely different from the actual product in order to put on a show. I don't need any fancy skydiving bullshit, just show me the HUD from a first person perspective and show something like facial recognition with pertinent information about the person, show me live, on-the-fly translation of language, etc. If it's not ready to do that, then keep it hidden until it can do something besides act as a glorified first person webcam.

I wanted the same as you, but maybe they are relying on developers for the cool shit.

If that was the point of the demo, I might be a little more impressed, but it was far from it. They showed was is essentially a head mounted camera streaming via 3g/4g. How is that impressive?

Shhh!!! You were supposed to get all goo-gawed over the talking while falling thing so you wouldn't ask any reasonable questions or be not impressed. Now go watch it again so and try not to be so rational this time around. :D

Man, some of you commenting are total dumbasses. Damn, I wish I were born in like 1940 if this is the type of thinking I'm going to have to deal with the next 50+ years I'm alive. Not amazing/inspiring my ass. Yeah, beaming wifi up to a blimp to maintain connections while people are falling out of the sky happens every day... :rolleyes:

You are right, it doesn't happen every day. But just because something doesn't happen all the time doesn't inherently make it particularly impressive. You could duct tape a cellphone to your helmet with earbuds and mic and as long as you had a good cell signal (the hardest part, but not as impressive when a company the size of Google is doing it) you could basically do the exact same thing.... 10 years ago this would have been much more impressive. Even 5 years ago. Today it just really isn't that impressive.

Projecting forward a few years, once the tech matures, just imagine the idea of real-time HD streaming from anywhere, aggregated and viewed from any device. Not only that, but instead of relying on some idiot moving their phone or whatever around constantly, you'd be seeing what they're seeing. That's just awesome.

How often would real-time streaming be useful though? As if twitter isn't bad enough you want people to broadcast not only their boring thoughts, but their entire boring lives too? God help us all.

Besides, its not like this idea is new. Ever watch Aliens? So yeah, I have seen this before, even if faked in a movie, and even then it didn't seem all that futuristic. It seems far less futuristic today and certainly not particularly impressive.

Back when the occupy movements were real big, I was watching a guy on ustream who was broadcasting as he walked around the protest. He was taking questions via chat and then interviewing people on the ground. Even though the video quality sucked, it was still pretty cool. Soon that type of stuff will be commonplace. Lots of possibilities with reporting on news events, field reports, etc.

See. You make my point for me. We are ALREADY doing this today. This is already current technology. So what is so impressive about this again?.... Even the network/cellular signal at 4000 feet isn't that impressive. We can already do the same thing at 30,000 feet in planes. All they have really done new is stick what we can already do today into a surprisingly small pair of glasses. Big whoop.

It would also be awesome in some sports like football or hockey. Have the playbook projected onto your visor, or first-person fist fights. HELL YEAH

They did not demo anything being projected to a visor or the glasses themselves. That would be more interesting/impressive at this time. FAR MORE. As to recording a fight, these glasses wouldn't do it. They would get broken in no time. Recording what the fighter is seeing from his perspective today would be as simple as integrating a camera into a sparring helmet. Again, something that would be easy to do with today's technology, so interesting, and not impressive.

See. You make my point for me. We are ALREADY doing this today. This is already current technology. So what is so impressive about this again?.... Even the network/cellular signal at 4000 feet isn't that impressive. We can already do the same thing at 30,000 feet in planes. All they have really done new is stick what we can already do today into a surprisingly small pair of glasses. Big whoop.

Actually the networking part really is pretty impressive. Cell doesn't really work for that, and having a satellite on the ground tracking a falling person with that person is much harder and more impressive than tracking a massive plane which can carry far more equipment and is on a strictly defined path.

But none of that has anything to do with Glass, either, just the small backpack network that hosted a local wifi hotspot which is what Glass actually connected to.

Actually the networking part really is pretty impressive. Cell doesn't really work for that, and having a satellite on the ground tracking a falling person with that person is much harder and more impressive than tracking a massive plane which can carry far more equipment and is on a strictly defined path.

But none of that has anything to do with Glass, either, just the small backpack network that hosted a local wifi hotspot which is what Glass actually connected to.

I thought that satellites were an orbiting the Earth from space thing and not a on the ground tracking thing. Also, radio waves can be emitted in an omni-directional manner so that, while they need direct or indirect line-of-sight, nothing really has to track something in motion from such a short distance away.

Back