Project Glass: Live Demo At Google I/O

Very nice. A million different things could have went wrong with that.

Google not only want to know what you do on your computer, but now ... it want to know what you do ... in life ... scary ... but neat :D

I would love to see Google hipsters vs the Apple hipsters in a fight to the death over their gadgets.

Even more amazing than the product itself is the way they demo'd how it can work and the whole show as a whole. In that 10 minutes I got more pumped for a product years away than anything E3 had just months away

This is how you showcase a product people. So damn engaging

I can think of plenty of cool uses for wearable computing form a technical point of view. I can't think of anything that google does that wearable computing doesn't make creepy invasive, or monumentally stupid.

Seriously, is a skydiving conference call more or less enjoyable than just skydiving? I can repeat that for most activities people engage in. Sure, yeah, now you cna have a virtual orgy via google hangouts, but I think that's a limited customer base. HEck even that, are a bunch of exhibitionists going to be interested in the fact their exhibitionist buddies are showing off? If nobody else in the virtual room is paying attention, does it do anything for the exhibitionists anymore?

Maybe I lack the narcissism necessary to think anyone who couldn't bother ot be there in person really is that interested in sitting around someplace else watching what I am doing.

I can think of tons of professions where you could use some interactive head mounted informatics. Having a handful of doctor buddies sitting in on a surgery or exam or diagnosis or something could be a good thing.

I can think of plenty of cool uses for wearable computing form a technical point of view. I can't think of anything that google does that wearable computing doesn't make creepy invasive, or monumentally stupid.

Seriously, is a skydiving conference call more or less enjoyable than just skydiving? I can repeat that for most activities people engage in. Sure, yeah, now you cna have a virtual orgy via google hangouts, but I think that's a limited customer base. HEck even that, are a bunch of exhibitionists going to be interested in the fact their exhibitionist buddies are showing off? If nobody else in the virtual room is paying attention, does it do anything for the exhibitionists anymore?

Maybe I lack the narcissism necessary to think anyone who couldn't bother ot be there in person really is that interested in sitting around someplace else watching what I am doing.

I can think of tons of professions where you could use some interactive head mounted informatics. Having a handful of doctor buddies sitting in on a surgery or exam or diagnosis or something could be a good thing.

for doctors i can see the point, even for education at some point too.... but what they showed is quite... uninspiring.

So... Project Glass is essentially a camera that's always on and always watching? That's it? No thanks.

If you watched the full 30min video. They quote the price near the end of $1500. This is going to be a luxury item with prices like that.

I'm curious how they can put a display so close to the eye and make it feel like you're not watching something thats an inch away.

Anyone have info on how the display works, what it uses, etc?

If you watched the full 30min video. They quote the price near the end of $1500. This is going to be a luxury item with prices like that.

I'm curious how they can put a display so close to the eye and make it feel like you're not watching something thats an inch away.

When blu-ray burners came out (for the PC) they were over $1000, same with DVD burners and CD burners. Now blu-ray burners are $60-$100, DVD burners and CDRW drives are under $20. Shit takes time to come down in price, early adopters pay a premium because they want it while it's barely out of the prototypical stage. If you want affordable, wait a few years and it'll be affordable.

So... Project Glass is essentially a camera that's always on and always watching? That's it? No thanks.

No, that's not it. The camera also isn't always on an always watching. Try leaving your phones camera running and see how long the battery lasts (fyi, not very long)

There are a few demos of wearable glasses i've seen and the explanations for those is that they use either mirrors or prisms so the image is actually projected about five inches away instead of half an inch from your eyeball. You don't look at the LCD directly, there is no way your eyes can focus on something that close. The simplest demo i've seen has the screen on the frames earpiece and mirrors on the eyepiece reflecting it to the eyes, so the distance is about four inches. Prisms are supposed to make it lighter and allow for further projecting but i haven't seen that one explained in detail.

Note that i'm just saying how other wearable screens work, not sure how google does theirs.

$1500 is for the "Explorer Edition" which is only available to developers. Developers will get these prototypes over a year ahead of the consumer release (early 2013. Consumers can buy Glass in 2014) to see what ideas they can come up with. The consumer edition will be much more affordable.

Man, some of you commenting are total dumbasses. Damn, I wish I were born in like 1940 if this is the type of thinking I'm going to have to deal with the next 50+ years I'm alive. Not amazing/inspiring my ass. Yeah, beaming wifi up to a blimp to maintain connections while people are falling out of the sky happens every day... :rolleyes:

Projecting forward a few years, once the tech matures, just imagine the idea of real-time HD streaming from anywhere, aggregated and viewed from any device. Not only that, but instead of relying on some idiot moving their phone or whatever around constantly, you'd be seeing what they're seeing. That's just awesome.

Back when the occupy movements were real big, I was watching a guy on ustream who was broadcasting as he walked around the protest. He was taking questions via chat and then interviewing people on the ground. Even though the video quality sucked, it was still pretty cool. Soon that type of stuff will be commonplace. Lots of possibilities with reporting on news events, field reports, etc.

It would also be awesome in some sports like football or hockey. Have the playbook projected onto your visor, or first-person fist fights. HELL YEAH

maybe im missing the point , but calling me a dumbass because i fail to see how this is amazing is quite childish. Oh well.

i still think it wasnt amazing.

maybe im missing the point , but calling me a dumbass because i fail to see how this is amazing is quite childish. Oh well.

i still think it wasnt amazing.

It is fine...all company need workers; an economy need consumers. Not everyone can have vision or the ability to create something new or even see the potential of it for the future (guess what, MS had the tablet before apple did).

I thought the point of the Google Glass project was to offer "augmented reality." So far, all the demos and videos have done is show how you can record and stream video live. I don't care what others said in the thread already, but that is not an accomplishment. Google failed to show what you can do with them other than record/stream live video. I have no use for that. I would venture to say that the masses have no use for that. So what's the utility other than that? They should have had that hammered out a bit more. Yeah, I understand that they're pitching the project as a developer's project (and you guys bitching at the $1500 price tag--that's what developers will pay, it's not a truly commercial product yet). Sure, maybe some neat uses will come about, but so far it's unconvincing at best.

It was neat - but I was waiting/hoping for a google maps overlay to pop up and show restaurants, street names, friend's locations, etc, etc, etc.

It is fine...all company need workers; an economy need consumers. Not everyone can have vision or the ability to create something new or even see the potential of it for the future (guess what, MS had the tablet before apple did).

I guess you guys dont understand one simple thing. Tech of this kind exists already in other forms than glasses , look at f1 cars or even a simple gopro.

I tought the goal of the google glass project was to give an overlay of some kind , augmented vision. This presentation was just a chain of people doing amazing stuff/sports with some kind of webcam glasses.

But still ,like i already said, i see what a product like that could bring for doctors , education and stuff like that.

I honestly can't think of any practical reasons for acquiring this except for instructive purposes. Or maybe one can utilize this for a first person online or live interactive training course. I doubt it would replace news/sports videographers or broadcasting due to QoS limitations. This would be awesome for things like competitive game tournaments and events though, where you can witness each individual players experience.

Come to think of it, i can see this replacing schools. Although highly unlikely.

I guess you guys dont understand one simple thing. Tech of this kind exists already in other forms than glasses , look at f1 cars or even a simple gopro.

I tought the goal of the google glass project was to give an overlay of some kind , augmented vision. This presentation was just a chain of people doing amazing stuff/sports with some kind of webcam glasses.

But still ,like i already said, i see what a product like that could bring for doctors , education and stuff like that.

Agree on all accounts. Plus, a Formula 1 car has like 10 1080p cameras plus a TON of sensors sending feeds to the garage.

The presentation was just dull.

Agree on all accounts. Plus, a Formula 1 car has like 10 1080p cameras plus a TON of sensors sending feeds to the garage.

The presentation was just dull.
+1

I don't see how its different from say putting a cam on a helmet.

I must admit it took me a while before understand wth this was about... Glass = WiFi Camera Glasses?

Despite me not finding the presentation exciting in any aspect, I do appreciate Google's enthusiasm bringing this to the market closer to the hands of consumers. I also understand the HUGE real-world benefit of such technology. So congrats to that. Google rocks.

So I can play Angry Birds while I'm driving and Google can monitor my playing of Angry Birds while I'm driving and pop an ad up when I crash into McDonalds.

Ahhh, so it's much more then just "camera glasses":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Glass

Of course, the first thing that comes my mind is:

1220385726-his_power_level.jpg

I'm certainly more excited about this now :)

Am i the only person thinking law enforcement or fbi agents etc? Instead of those silly ear pieces, they all have these glasses where they can get real-time images and data projected to use in the field. Military applications too.

Imagine just being able to address the AI in your glasses and have it display what you asked for...

How they got live broadcasting while skydiving was impressive enough! I don't think people understand the complexity behind being able to do that.

How they got live broadcasting while skydiving was impressive enough! I don't think people understand the complexity behind being able to do that.

I'm pretty sure that wireless signals are altitude agnostic. Since we can already transmit radio signals to planes while they're flying, that isn't exactly freaky magic to get a signal to a pair of Google's spyware glasses.

color me unimpressed. I could probably hack together something similar in my spare time. Show off something actually impressive like AR, etc. like was shown in the promo video. Otherwise, keep it hidden until it's ready.

If that was the point of the demo, I might be a little more impressed, but it was far from it. They showed was is essentially a head mounted camera streaming via 3g/4g. How is that impressive?

Ok, that doesn't make glass any more impressive. They seemed to focus on something entirely different from the actual product in order to put on a show. I don't need any fancy skydiving bullshit, just show me the HUD from a first person perspective and show something like facial recognition with pertinent information about the person, show me live, on-the-fly translation of language, etc. If it's not ready to do that, then keep it hidden until it can do something besides act as a glorified first person webcam.

Back