Project Fi - Excellent Service

Ruoh

Supreme [H]ardness
Just got this email:

Hello,

We’re reaching out with an important update for your account. The SIM card in your Device has an issue that prevents it from accessing the full Project Fi network. We’ll be sending you a new SIM card in the coming days that will resolve the issue. We recommend you replace your current SIM with the new one in order to get the best Project Fi experience. You should receive your new SIM card by December 11, 2015. In the meantime you will still be able to talk, text, and access data from your device.

You will be receiving a $25 service credit to help make up for any inconvenience caused by the issue. We sincerely apologize and thank you again for joining Project Fi.

When was the last time your carrier fessed up to issues, and gave you a credit for the inconvenience?

Earlier this week they sent me a small Lego set to build a phone holder. Kinda cool and something they totally didn't have to do. They're really focusing on the customer.

Still really tempted to dump my Verizon unlimited data line for them. I'll miss using 20-30GBs tethering while I'm away for work/vacation though. :(

These are definitely nice touches, but remember that Project Fi is a side effort for Google. It can afford to give you service credits and Lego bricks because Fi isn't its main business. It's the same reason Google can charge $70 for Fiber when AT&T can only match that rate if you agree to targeted ads.

As for iOS? That'd depend on support for hopping across multiple carriers. I wouldn't be shocked if Apple made that happen, but nor am I expecting it to (after all, why support the enemy?).

Last edited:
I just signed up for Fi this morning for my 6P. Going to be happy to save a bit over ATT since I'm not a super heavy data user.

These are definitely nice touches, but remember that Project Fi is a side effort for Google. It can afford to give you service credits and Lego bricks because Fi isn't its main business. It's the same reason Google can charge $70 for Fiber when AT&T can only match that rate if you agree to targeted ads.

As for iOS? That'd depend on support for hopping across multiple carriers. I wouldn't be shocked if Apple made that happen, but nor am I expecting it to (afterall, why support the enemy?).

That's fine with me. It's not like they are just going to drop it, and decide to not support it anymore. Too much at stake.

That's fine with me. It's not like they are just going to drop it, and decide to not support it anymore. Too much at stake.

Certainly hope that's the case. I just wish Google could use a stronger network in place of Sprint's half of things. You'd never be hurting for coverage after that. Of course, that's not likely to happen so long as AT&T and Verizon desperately try to delay becoming dumb pipes.

As for iOS? That'd depend on support for hopping across multiple carriers. I wouldn't be shocked if Apple made that happen, but nor am I expecting it to (after all, why support the enemy?).

If their goal is to support Android as a service then that is one thing. However if their goal is to have control over telemetry from the most amount of users that is another. Google's primary business is still advertising and selling user data. Their entire mobile operating system is really just a means of supporting their core business. Not the other way around.

I think it would be reasonable for them to do so. But obviously by the way they're setup now, they don't even support their Android partners. Literally 2 devices are supported by the service. If/when in the future they start supporting more bands, then I think support for other OS's will happen naturally. For now, it's a standard Google "Beta" pet project.

I think it would be reasonable for them to do so. But obviously by the way they're setup now, they don't even support their Android partners. Literally 2 devices are supported by the service. If/when in the future they start supporting more bands, then I think support for other OS's will happen naturally. For now, it's a standard Google "Beta" pet project.

Three devices, actually. Primarily the phones need to have access to all the bands, and I think it was just simpler to start the project with a known set of variables. It's still pretty interesting to be on the "inside" for one of their projects though.

I like the idea of project-FI but the data is just to expensive. My data usage can vary significantly month to month. Most months it would be more than my 50$ unlimited plan from t-mobile already. :)

I like the idea of project-FI but the data is just to expensive. My data usage can vary significantly month to month. Most months it would be more than my 50$ unlimited plan from t-mobile already. :)

They refund whatever data you dont use. If you go over that's ok too.

For me, it's a huge win.

With AT&T I paid $100/mo (after military discount) for 6GB of data on two lines. I didn't need 6GB, but thanks to their double data promo they put me on, I'd save all of $10 a month to drop down to a single gig. My monthly data usage was usually under that, but sometimes close or over, particularly if I was traveling. It was easier to just play it safe and know I had way more data that I'd ever need.

On Fi, it's looking like my typical bill should be right around $60 a month for two lines. My current bill cycle ends tomorrow with one line sitting at .6GB and the other at .3. The credit i'll get back basically is enough to eat the tax. That's a pretty significant savings. Even if I were on the cheaper plan with AT&T, that's a fair amount less. And what's more important is that I don't have to worry about going over. Before I upgraded my allowances with AT&T there was more than one instance where I accidentally tipped the scales a day or two prior to my cycle ending, where I'd end up getting nailed with a $15 overage pack that I'd use a few megs of an that's it. If I go over on Fi, I can rest easy knowing that I'm still only going to end up paying for the exact amount of data I go over instead of getting charged for a whole bunch of data I'll never use.

It's pretty unlikely I'll ever use enough data to get a phone bill the size of what I was paying for AT&T. And on the off chance I do, i'll have saved enough every other month that I really won't give a shit. At the end of a year, it should equal out to a few hundred dollars in my pocket.

Why wouldn't everyone just sign up for the normal plan with 0GB of data and then just pay for what you use? Seems silly to expect getting a credit back, when you could have just avoided paying to begin with?

Why wouldn't everyone just sign up for the normal plan with 0GB of data and then just pay for what you use? Seems silly to expect getting a credit back, when you could have just avoided paying to begin with?

You have to sign up for at least 1GB, there is no option for no data. I'm sure the majority of Fi subscribers probably do just sign up for a single gig and let the overages tack on if they are data heavy.I don't know the point of electing for more than 1GB, though. I suppose if you are confident you will be going over a certain threshold every month, it may make your bill appear a little more normal.

You have to sign up for at least 1GB, there is no option for no data. I'm sure the majority of Fi subscribers probably do just sign up for a single gig and let the overages tack on if they are data heavy.I don't know the point of electing for more than 1GB, though. I suppose if you are confident you will be going over a certain threshold every month, it may make your bill appear a little more normal.

I pay for the 3gb plan and come just shy of it each month.

I have been on it for about a month. So far I don't have any major complaints. I was able to port my T-Mobile number over without any issues. If I had to name a negative, its that voice quality is significantly worse when on Sprint vs T-Mobile.

I have been on it for about a month. So far I don't have any major complaints. I was able to port my T-Mobile number over without any issues. If I had to name a negative, its that voice quality is significantly worse when on Sprint vs T-Mobile.
tmoblie has VoLTE enabled but you need to have there Custom tmobile image to get this.

been on it a little over a month and love it

was nice getting about 5 dollars back every month for unused data.

The fact I get a brand new top of the line phone (6P) and my bill is cheaper than Verizon says a lot. I financed the phone with google (0%) once i pay it off, my phone bill will be something like 30 dollars a month and it does everything I need in the quantities I need.

I signed up before I realized that the service only allowed two phones on their network. I got invited to the "Beta". Anyone want to give me a Nexus 6P?

I got the 6.0.1 update, and my new sim card today.

Signed up the other day, waiting for my new 5X. I'm excited. Gonna give it a test run as my work only phone. If this works OK, bye bye T-Mobile.

Popped in my new sim on Friday... but forgot to "activate" it until yesterday. Looks like the phone is much better at swapping over to Sprint new, when T-Mobile has fewer bars.

My brother just received a Nexus 6P and activated on Google Fi in Chicago. Even came with a free little lego set.

I was keen to get some feedback from him since I am considering it myself.... so far he said clear reliable service. He used it on his private Wifi, public Wifi, and cell signal walking around the Hyde Park area.

Got a pair of notifications last night from Google. The 5X can now get the insurance/protection plan for $5 a month, and data only sims are now available for Fi service.

I started Project Fi on Saturday and so far so good. Such a simple, straightforward service. The app on the phone allows you to manage every aspect of your service with just a tap. I hope this is a wake-up call to the other carriers if it takes off.

They really aren't doing anything new with billing from how Ting does it, but having two networks and some of the side perks really make it stand out.

I've been on Fi since the beginning... One thing to know is if you sign up for the service and don't use all of your data, they do not charge you for everything then later give you a refund of the unused data. They just charge for the amount used.

Data speeds depend on the sprint and tmo coverage in your area. Sprint is never that fast anyway. You can use key codes to lock your phone to tmo towers if their signal is good in your area for better speeds.

I thought the Project FI would work for my mom, but she needs a high end device for that imo. It's no go. Still comes about $37/month for a line on a family plan. Hard to beat this Simple Choice plan even if you don't use data at all.

I thought the Project FI would work for my mom, but she needs a high end device for that imo. It's no go. Still comes about $37/month for a line on a family plan. Hard to beat this Simple Choice plan even if you don't use data at all.

Doesn't get much more high end than the 6P at the moment. The Moto X Pure works (unofficially, with T-Mo coverage only last I read when it was launched) as well. Now, if you said small, then you'd have a valid issue since the 5X isn't quite high end and hasn't got the best reviews (though not bad either).

Project Fi continues to work well, however I'm saddened when I put my 930 next to my 5X. Is there an Android phone with equivalent build quality to the 930?

I just signed up for Fi. I created a second account so I could get another one without losing my VZW number that I've had FOREVER. I want to test it out for a month to see if there's a significant difference in my particular area of North Jersey. It would especially be useful for me, though, because the school I work in has shit reception if you're not hanging out of the window because of construction of the building.

If it works out well I'll cancel the second number and then port my VZW number over on my main Google account.

I already have a Nexus 6, so I don't even have to spend money on a phone. :)

They did say in the FAQ that they intend to allow iPhone users on this, but for now its only 6, 6P and 5X only.

Back