Project: EVGA Classified SR-2 Case

Cutouts for accessing and viewing the inside of the top case were routed out of the side panels. I was able to re-use two router template jigs for the cutouts, although one had to be mod'd to reduce the width of the cutout.

SidePanelWindowTemplate.jpg

Threaded inserts were installed in order to attach removable plywood covers over the cutouts.

TopCaseSidePanelCutouts.jpg

TopCaseSidePanelCutoutsCU.jpg

My next task is to build a shelf to fix that droopy motherboard tray.

I've been sick all week, but a few days ago I did manage to bang-out a simple support for the motherboard tray.

MBTraySupport.jpg

MBTraySupport2.jpg

MBTraySupport3.jpg

MBTraySupport4.jpg

MBTraySupport5.jpg

Ugh, now I need a nap...

I managed to spend a few hours in the shop this morning working on fastening the top divider to the case itself. But just like everything else on this case, nothing is fastened permanently, which meant I needed to install some more threaded inserts.

TopDividerThreadedInsert.jpg

TopDivider4.jpg

The divider is attached to the side panel's solid oak rails:

TopDivider5.jpg

TopDivder6.jpg

Even the most mundane aspects of a build often require many small steps in order for them to come out just right. For example, in this build the fastening of the side panel covers required having to accurately transfer the locations of several threaded inserts to the covers, which was accomplished by first screwing in some button head screws into the threaded inserts.

TopPanlTransferwButtonHeads.jpg

Followed by taping a cover perfectly centered over the cutout. And then using a deep throat clamp, transfer an impression of the button head screw into the backside of the cover.

TopPanelTransferwClamp.jpg

ButtonheadIndentCU.jpg

TopSidePanelCovers.jpg

Lastly, with all of the fastening and unfastening of bolts into and out of the threaded inserts, some of them started to become loose. After testing many types of glues, the best method for fixing the loose threaded inserts was to flood the area with Cyanoacrylate glue. Blue painters tape with punched-out holes was used to prevent getting glue everywhere.

TopSidePanelCrazyGlued.jpg

Completed the upper case's bottom.

TopBottom1.jpg

All holes are 140mm and the covers allow tubing to pass to/from the lower case.

TopBotomTwo.jpg

TopBottom3.jpg

TopBottom4.jpg

TopBottom5.jpg

I re-assembled the radiator stand. Its simple yet elegant with its industrial kick *** looks.

PCRadStand1.jpg

PCRadStand2.jpg

PCRadStand3.jpg

I made another router template (the last one for this project!) and cut-out the holes in the bottom case's side panels for the radiator intakes.

BottomSidePanelCutoutwStand.jpg

I've been working on the case doors, which has been a time consuming task consisting of cutting the 6.2mm-thick oak veneer plywood down to a rough size and then thickening them by gluing strips of 1/2-inch thick birch veneer plywood.

Door1.jpg

Door2.jpg

Door3.jpg

The panels are trimmed to their final size (less 1.5-inches) and then 3/4-inch square solid oak strips are glued to the edges of the panels to hide the plywood veneers.

Door4.jpg

Door5.jpg

Any unevenness of the plywood trim was quickly dealt with on the jointer.

Door6.jpg

Door7.jpg

The doors also function as huge airducts so blocks were glued around the perimeter of the door to offset the door away from the frame of the case.

Door9.jpg

The doors are attached to the case via a dead-simple "post and hook" mechanism. The post consists of a #8 socket cap screw, 1/4x1/4-inch aluminum spacer fastened to the case via a threaded insert.

Door11.jpg

The hook is a slitted piece of .125-inch aluminum flat bar attached to the blocks on the door via more threaded inserts.

Door13.jpg

Door10.jpg

Door12.jpg

Door14.jpg

With the fabrication of the lower case essentially complete, its on to finishing...sanding, staining and applying wipe-on polyurethane. With a large piece like this, its essential (for me anyway) to be able to apply finishes comfortably, which I can do sitting down by using a homemade turntable.

BottomCaseOnTT.jpg

The turntable is just the undercarriage of an old office chair.

TurnTable.jpg

That's one hell of a project! Buttload of time but you will reap the rewards once finished.
Keep us posted.

Thanks to all for the comments.

With the final finish applied to all surfaces the bottom case is now 99% done (its missing the bottom molding, which I won't apply 'til the very end).

Front:
BottomCaseComplete2.jpg

Side:
BottomCaseComplete1.jpg

Top:
BottomCaseComplete3.jpg

Obligatory closeup:
BottomCaseComplete4.jpg

Looks great!

Are the casters just attached to the wood or is the some reinforcement?

I completed the fabrication of the top case's side doors and attached them using the same "post and hook" latching mechanism that I used on the bottom case.

EdgeGlueUp.jpg

EdgeGlueUpCU.jpg

TopCaseSideDoors.jpg

This week the window in the doors were routed out. Then the doors were scraped, sanded, stained and finished with a satin wipe-on polyurethane finish. Here's what a door looks like after three coats of polyurethane:

TopCaseDoorwWindow.jpg

This is something I did NOT expect to see...such a crazy amount of time and effort going into this...and it shows!

Keep it up man. :)

In between staining and finishing the parts to the top case, I worked on fabricating the front doors using the same build techniques as all of the other doors in this project. The final width and height of the doors was gradually achieved by numerous trips to and from the jointer.

FrontDoorEdgePieces.jpg

FrontDoorEdgeGlueUp.jpg

TopCaseFrameFinished.jpg

FrontCaseWithUnfinishedFrontDoors2.jpg

FrontCaseWithUnfinishedFrontDoors.jpg

exciting. we all know youre a master of wooden case builds, so itll be interesting to see how you attack aluminum.

Back