Project Ecthelion - Thermaltake Tower 900 Build, Dual Loop Hardline Liquid Cooling

Mr_Armageddon

Limp Gawd
Introduction

It's time for another custom Liquid Cooled build, and this time we are utilizing the MASSIVE Thermaltake Tower 900 case! This is a commissioned build, using some extreme hardware, and I am really excited to get started.

Will feature dual liquid loops, one for the i9-7980 Extreme CPU, and the other cooling 2x Nvidia Titan X Pascals in SLI. We will incorporate a little bit of acrylic work to clean things up, along with some painting, and RGB lighting. Take a look at all the components below to see just how impressive (and powerful) this build will be when completed. I present Project Ecthelion!

Pv6edJo.jpg

Component List

Component Type (PC Hardware)
  • Case Thermaltake Tower 900 White x1
  • Motherboard ASUS Prime x299 Deluxe x1
  • CPU Intel i9-7980XE Extreme 18 Core Processor x1
  • RAM G.SKILL 64GB (4 x 16GB) TridentZ Series DDR4 PC4-27200 3400MHZ x1
  • Video Cards Nvidia Titan X Pascal x2 SLI x2
  • GPU Backplate Titan X Design x2 Color Backplates x2
  • SSD NVMe Samsung 960 Pro M.2 2TB x2 (RAID) x2
  • SSD 2.5in Samsung 860 EVO 1TB x1
  • Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 80+ PLATINUM, 1000W x1
  • Custom Cables Blue and Black sleeved x1
  • OS (Dual Boot) Windows 10 x64 / OSX (HackinTosh)
  • Fans / Lighting NZXT RF-AR140-C1 HUE+ & Aer RGB140 Fans Bundle Pack x1
  • Lighting NZXT HUE+ Extension Kit LED Strips x2
Component Type (Liquid Cooling)
  • Reservoir / Pump Thermaltake Pacific PR22-D5 Adjustable D5 Pump/Reservoir Combo x2
  • Fans (Radiator) Corsair ML120, 120mm Magnetic Levitation SP Fan (2-Pack) x3
  • Radiator XSPC EX360 High Performance Radiator x2
  • Tubing (Hard) Monsoon Hardline PETG Tubing 1/2" ID, 5/8" OD (16mm) 36inx3 x1
  • Tubing (Soft) PrimoFlex Advanced LRT 3/8in.ID x 5/8in.OD Tubing Bundle (10ft pack) x1
  • Fittings Monsoon to 1/2" ID, 5/8" OD Hardline Eco V2 Compression Fittings x6 x3
  • Fittings Barrow G1/4" Fittings (Various) x46
  • Fittings XSPC G1/4" Ball Valve, Black Chrome x2
  • Waterblock CPU EK X299 Monoblock x1
  • GPU Waterblock Watercool HEATKILLER for Titan X Pascal - ACRYL Ni x2
  • Coolant Additive Mayhems Pastel Concentrate White - 250ml x1
  • Coolant Additive Mayhems Pastel Concentrate Blue - 250ml x1
  • Misc Barrow Replacement G1/4" O Ring - 10pcs - Blue x2
Component Type (Mini Case Display)
  • Display Toguard 7 inch Ultra-Thin High-Res 1024x600 HDMI Monitor x1
  • Misc Flat Slim High Speed HDMI Extension Cable x1
  • Misc USB 2.0 Male to Micro USB 90 degree Angled Cable x1
  • Misc DC Barrel Power Plug Pigtail Cable 12v x1

Build Log Project Index
  • Intro / Component List

Last edited:
Fittings and Loop Design

For this build we will be utilizing a dual loop setup. The First loop will be opaque white and will cool the CPU and Motherboard via a MonoBlock from EK. The Second loop will cool the 2x Nvidia Titan X's in SLI. The color will be blue, and using the same liquid additive that looked great in my Project Open Core (build log here), Mayhems Pastel Blue.

bHtUKO1.jpg

Here is the full setup of my current build using this same fluid additive. Looks great with the black / carbon theme I have going on.

dLbcnre.jpg

The Tower 900 case allows for some interesting design choices. You can keep all of the "prettier" parts of the build towards the front of the case, and showcase nice hardline bends, while keeping the less attractive parts of the build hidden in the back, and leverage soft tubing for easier setup. Here is the diagram I made for this build to figure out how things would layout, and get a final fitting count.... which ends up being 62 total fittings!

FYNlzjY.jpg

For the fittings, as before I will primarily be using Monsoon Hardline fittings and various Barrow fittings for the rest of the build. In addition to the dual loops, I have also built in a drain tube using flex tubing and a ball valve for easy fluid changes.

JnkCu1F.jpg

Next up we will start "modding" some of the hardware to match our color theme.

Last edited:
Before jumping into the next part of the build, wanted to quickly explain the name of the project for those that don’t consider themselves “Tolkien Nerds”. The Tower of Ecthelion, also known as the White Tower, was a tall white tower atop Minas Tirith which contained the throne of the King of Gondor. That is where the name comes from, and I thought it very fitting for the particular case we are using in this build.

T92lh9j.jpg

Waterblock Install GPU / CPU

We will be using a total of 3 waterblocks for this build. To cool the Nvidia Titan X GPUs, we selected a Heatkilller Nickel Acrylic block. The pictures online made it look like the shroud around the acrylic was white, which would have matched our theme well. When they arrived, we found that they are actually a polished chrome look.

FVQk49V.jpg

So I took out the matte white spray paint, and went to town. After a few coats, we had the exact look we originally wanted when purchasing these blocks.

xBvdk6D.jpg

Much better!

VrzDEBj.jpg

4zyjz4X.jpg

With the block mod out of the way, we set out to remove the stock blower heatsink from the Titan’s. These were fairly easy to take apart, but I found these particular cards used a lot more screws than the EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2 had, which I recently installed on my primary rig.

m2Dmfqt.jpg

dPRLAZ5.jpg

Here we have the naked GPU, ready to be cleaned off and have new thermal pads applied.

EKXQTyF.jpg

KkurkUt.jpg

With the new pads on, we slapped on some thermal compound and attached the waterblock to the GPUs. Now on to the CPU block. For this build we are using an Intel i9-7980 Extreme CPU with an incredible 18 cores! When overclocked this thing gets HOT, so we went with a block that will do an excellent job cooling this large CPU, and part of the Motherboard as well.

Me8hn7B.jpg

Here we have the EK-FB ASUS Prime X299 Monoblock. Its large, heavy, and even has RGB LEDs on the bottom to give a nice “glow” to the fluid as it passes through the block.

gNmqMKA.jpg

KKZlCQh.jpg

Since this is a Monoblock, it also cools the MOSFET modules on the Motherboard. We had to take off the heatsink over the MOSFETs as the first step, and then apply a new thermal pad.

WvHjaEd.jpg

sBDmg2u.jpg

With that, we applied thermal compound to the top of the CPU and secured the Monoblock to the motherboard. Note that for this particular block, you will use the backplate that originally came with the heatsink cooling the MOSFETs.

7sluvIg.jpg

And here it is installed. Great looking waterblock, and really excited to see it all glowing with opaque fluid running through it.

3NXMymo.jpg

Next up, glaming up the GPUs with color acrylic backplates.

Reactions: Derf
like this
GPU Acrylic Backplates / SLI Bridge

Now that we have some really nice looking white GPU Waterblocks, we needed some backplates to match. Originally we were going to purchase metal backplates, and just paint them as we did the waterblock shrouds. Luckily we came across another option that allowed for further customization and required no additional painting! A company called V1 Tech offers a lot of different design options for both the “logo” and colors.

Install of these backplates is pretty easy, and there are 2 options you can choose. You can use small rare earth magnets to secure the backplate to the GPU mounting screws, or double sided adhesive tape. We had to use the tape, as the screws in the Heatkiller block are not magnetic. Here you can see the double sided tape on top of the screws.

m2u7iqV.jpg

We removed the tabs on the other side of the tape, and lowered the backplate in to place. It lined up perfectly with our GPU, and although can be taken off if needed, it is secured very well.

L6NAcSM.jpg

Here you can see why we went with this particular backplate. Not only does it have the white the primary theme of the case will feature, but also has a great “Titan X” graphic featuring the secondary color of our theme.

nV9eIi9.jpg

Here is a side view of one of these plates installed. Obviously these will provide no cooling benefits, but even metal backplates are said to not really provide any benefits in that regard.

r22CWUS.jpg

In addition to the GPU backplates, we also found a plate to cover the generic HB SLI Bridge for this setup. Also installed with double sided tape.

Rl8XuH6.jpg

Here we have the plates installed along with the waterblock, sitting next to the motherboard. Really liking how the colors are coming together, and the Titan X graphic looks great. Excited to see these installed, and with some custom RGB LEDs backing them up.

l4wha04.jpg

Next up, painting our RAM heatsinks to match the color theme we have going with the GPUs and Motherboard.

Just wanted to add two things: the front plate of the blocks is stainless steel, not chromated. We also offer a version made from black anodized aluminum, but this one is just bare stainless steel.

And the GPU blocks can also be illuminated if you want to: we offer LED strips in red, white and blue that can be controlled via the GeForce Experience integrated LED controller. Or you can install an RGB strip that can be connected to any motherboard or third party RGB controller. This info might be a little late for you, though, because you'll have to uninstall the blocks to install the strips :( . We changed that method for the next generation blocks already!

And congratulations on the color theme, the backplates and HBSLI cover look awesome!

Just wanted to add two things: the front plate of the blocks is stainless steel, not chromated. We also offer a version made from black anodized aluminum, but this one is just bare stainless steel.

And the GPU blocks can also be illuminated if you want to: we offer LED strips in red, white and blue that can be controlled via the GeForce Experience integrated LED controller. Or you can install an RGB strip that can be connected to any motherboard or third party RGB controller. This info might be a little late for you, though, because you'll have to uninstall the blocks to install the strips :( . We changed that method for the next generation blocks already!

And congratulations on the color theme, the backplates and HBSLI cover look awesome!

Thanks for the clarification. The Stainless shroud looks pretty good, just not what we wanted for this particular build theme. I definitely like that you guys include a shroud around the "fluid window" vs just having the entire acrylic slab visible (cough...EK...cough). I modified the waterblock on my previous build to cover the parts your shroud takes care of.

proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fc3.staticflickr.com%2F8%2F7569%2F27605089146_8d1fe2a409_c.jpg

As far as LEDs go... just finished making some custom RGB LED strips for the GPU blocks. They look glorious! Haha.
Will post some pics of those once I get them fully installed.

RAM Heatsink Color MOD

Continuing with the color theme we have going for the case, GPUs and Motherboard, we need to modify the 64GB of GSkill Trident Z RAM we have going into this system. The actual heatsinks are great, with a gunmetal finish, but the red plastic highlights have to go.

nA0w0OL.jpg

Bring on the Spray Paint! These were a bit trickier than larger components as I wasn't able to hang them from a wire like I normally do when painting. Having them propped up a bit worked, and I let them dry overnight to ensure the paint wouldn't easily rub or scratch off.

QzYaxpq.jpg

Once installed on the RAM, they look great. Glad they were pretty easy to take on and off, otherwise I probably would have scratch a bit of paint in the process.

uH0VQMr.jpg

Here are a few shots of the RAM installed next to the white motherboard shroud and Monoblock.

Vy4DdQ7.jpg

Here we have them next to the modified GPU waterblocks. Really liking how these components are coming together.

bAiPcji.jpg

Installed, and very impressive.

ACQyEB4.jpg

Next up, going to make an acrylic backing for the case to hide some of the holes and openings for a cleaner look.

Acrylic Divider MOD

Although I really like the Thermaltake Tower 900, there are a few things that visually I want to change. It has some large cavities towards that back that are made to route cables and tubing. In function is is fine, but I don't like the way its looks, along with the extra row of holes and grommets. So I decided to use a section of white acrylic to cover up the areas that I find unsightly. Here is a rough sketch of what I planned to do.

TLBLj2M.jpg

In addition to wrapping the acrylic around the central storage area, I will also drill out holes for the hardline tubing to pass through. Those holes will be cut down the road once I get the tubing bends situated and measured.

Here we have the prep tape and measurements to begin cutting the acrylic.

sUgaR6M.jpg

I opted to cut in the garage as acrylic is messy to deal with. Using some claps and a T-Square I secured everything down, and made my cuts using a jigsaw with a blade made to cut Plexiglas / acrylic.

ml6I6e9.jpg

Here we have it installed in the case. I kind of wish I would have used a matte white finish instead of glossy, but the end result will still work out.

un8m5Jd.jpg

As mentioned before, this will have to come out to drill a few more holes later in the project. Should be an easy modification.

Up next, custom RGB LED strips to go behind the GPUs.

Custom RGB LEDs Strips

With all the waterblocks assembled, its time to get our block lighting squared away. The case lights will be RBG, but will most likely stay a soft white glow to allow the case components to we lit well. The waterblocks on the other-hand will take full advantage of the RGB elements of their own LED strips. The EK Monoblock has its own RGB strip, so we are going to make 2x additional ones for the waterblocks.

cUNl4x6.jpg

Heatkiller apparently has a RGB strip for these blocks, but I didn't know that when I started making these, and its not really that difficult to make your own. I measured the length we wanted to cut the strip, and did some basic sleeving to cover up the color wires. There was a bit of soldering involved to attach the 4pin adapter to the wires, then applied some heat shrink to keep things secure. Here I am testing my strips to make sure they light up and change colors before installing them on the GPUs.

fhIHrH8.jpg

To attach the LED strips to the Acrylic part of the GPUs, I am using transparent electronics tape. This stuff is commonly found in phones and tablets, holding the back of the device to the body. Its pretty adhesive, and holds up well to heat. Given that its transparent, it doesn't hurt the light transmission as the LEDs shine through the acrylic. Prepped the surface with an alcohol swap, then applied the tape.

TkwiMoW.jpg

Here we have the LED strips attached to the GPU Waterblocks. I have the cables set to route directly through the gromet holes beneath the GPUs and Motherboard.

S2pmAAs.jpg

Now its time to see how the look with the lights turned on...

Lights ON

SBaobGc.jpg

Lights OFF

y4doAbF.jpg

GPUs installed on the MoBo again, and full RGB action is in effect!

GccpXVn.jpg

Below is most likely the color that we will end up going with on the blocks, kid of a blueish white, but we will finalize the decision once we have color liquid flowing through the loops.

hi3AQwu.jpg

Another side shot of the GPU block, with the cool blue glow in action.

AJIud91.jpg

Radiators & Fans

This will be a fairly quick update at there isn't much to this part of the build, but there are some important steps that I didn't want to skip over. As seen in the earlier loop diagram, this build will have 2 loops, and dual Radiators. We will be using XSPC EX360 Radiators that have been painted white. For the fans, Corsair ML120 Magnetic Levitation Static Pressure x6.

YPmpDeA.jpg

Before we started installing the actual radiators, we flushed them with white vinegar to remove any particulates. These particular radiators weren't that bad, but still had some floaties to deal with (zoom in to see).

PDjAOuO.jpg

With that done, we flushed again with distilled water, and set out to install them on the case. The Tower 900 has 2 dedicated areas for the Radiators, situated so the fans are on one side of the mounting bracket, the radiators on the other.

O6hd63e.jpg

We decided to not go with any LED fans for the radiators, as they are not visible when the case is fully assembled. Going with a push configuration with the fans, and the hot air going into the case after passing through the radiators will be vented out via the top 140mm exhaust fan.

iMELLAh.jpg

I have been waiting for a few random parts to get in, but should be able to make some good progress towards finishing up in the coming days.

Pumps & Tubing

Now that all the waterblocks and radiators have been installed, its time to get the tubing runs completed. This build will have a combination of hard and soft tubing. We are using 2x Thermaltake Pacific PR22-D5 Res/Pump Combos for power our loops. These are supposed to be fairly silent, so hoping for good results here.

3nJyEMk.jpg

For the Hardline parts, we are using standard PETG Tubing 1/2" ID, 5/8" OD (16mm). To connect to these tube, we will be utilizing Monsoon Hardline Economy fittings v2. I have used Monsoon fittings before with good success, but this was my first time using the v2 fittings.

Tsw8lxT.jpg

There was very little in the way of documentation with these fittings, and I didn't notice that there were 2 "channels" where O-rings needed to be inserted (the v1 fittings only had 1 O-ring). Luckily I was able to find a YouTube video that showed a cut-away of the fitting and where the o-rings needed to be installed.

w2KiLG0.jpg

With that, just a quick note on cutting the tubing for these particular fittings. There is exactly 10mm of distance between the top rim of the fitting and the base of where the tubing will sit. It is important to have the tubing pass both o-rings inside the fitting for a secure fit, so make sure to cut long enough for that to happen.

BxSXsvf.jpg

As is standard, here is a quick shot of all the tools involved in making hardline bends. The Barrow Bending Jig is a new addition, and makes multi-angle bends a bit easier. Also shown is my pipe cutter, heat gun, and various bending mandrels.

5yvQvQ2.jpg

We also had to cut holes in the acrylic backing for the tubing to pass through. Measured, taped, and drilled them out.

MDA68VA.jpg

The hardline runs for this particular system are pretty simple, a few 90 degree bends is all, so the process didn't take long at all. Being that we have a few lines that are parallel to each other, I wanted to make sure everything was level. Used a small level to ensure we are lined up where needed.

oUdEVvM.jpg

Here is a shot of the tubing passing through the acrylic backing and transitioning to the soft tubing with compression fittings. I toyed with the idea of wrapping the tubing behind the acrylic with LED strips so they would glow, but decided against it as the opaque fluid we will be using doesn't transmit light well.

8XC8AYL.jpg

I used some weather stripping and zip-ties to secure the tubing so it won't move around, and ruin my nice level tubing runs in the front. Should also prevent any possible leaks from occuring since they are nice and snug.

XkX597z.jpg

Now we connect the soft tubing for the remainder of the loops, going to the radiators and drain ports. Here you can see a T-Block that will allow us to have a temperature sensor and drain port coming out of the radiators.

rOa68K7.jpg

And here is the completed soft tubing portion of the loops. I did kind of a"X" design with the loops, and it should look pretty neat once the different color fluids are crossing each other back there. Using a basic Ball Valve and stop plug to seal the drain port when not needed.

uzmDxzj.jpg

Here is the drain hose for the system. It will thread into the ball valve, and allow for easy fluid maintenance when needed.

XCsgbOK.jpg

And here is a quick shot showing the drain hose installed to give you an idea of what it will look like during that particular operation.

ShAvX1F.jpg

My Custom PSU cables from CableMod have finally arrived... and although they look great, we have some major issues. More on that soon.

Stats Screen & Case Lighting

Now that the bulk of the components have been installed in the system, I wanted to add a small display screen to the case to show loads and temps at a glance using NZXT CAM as a dashboard. Same idea that I used on my current build, Project Open Core as seen below, although the display on that case is larger than what we will be using with the Tower 900.

5viAghK.jpg

We are also using NZXT HUE+ to control the exhaust fans and RGB LED strips on the case, so it will all tie together nicely. I wasn't sure what size screen to go with at first. A 5.8in photography display would have fit the space perfectly, but I couldn't find one that had the display inputs located in an ideal place to mount the screen, and I was also worried about it being too small to be useful unless directly in front of the screen. After careful measurements, I decided on a 7in display, which is a tad larger than the space it would be mounted on the case, but should still look great. Here is an Amazon US link to the screen I am usng for this build. (Toguard 7 inch HDMI Monitor)
https://**************/2MZfJA3

NTQBowX.jpg

As mentioned before, I didn't want any cables showing for the display, so I needed a right angle HDMI input, and had to make a 12v, 5pin Molex Plug to Barrel Plug (Rt Angle) converter as well. The process is pretty simple, and allows for the display to turn on with the PC, so there aren't any additional button presses needed.

Fg2zEfZ.jpg

Now that the power and display signal has been addressed, time to mod the look of the screen to better match the overall build theme... and hide the ugly buttons on the bezel. Before I started "modding" the display, figured I should probably test it out to verify it was in working order. Plugged it in to one of my RetroPie systems, and everything came up just fine.

Kg6hHBE.jpg

Picked up a matte white vinyl with adhesive backing that should do the trick. Measured the dimensions of the outer display and screen, and transferred the measurements to the back of the vinyl. Then carefully used a hobby knife and metal ruler to cut where needed.

HRGMmac.jpg

With the cutouts made, I started to slowly wrap the vinyl around the display, being extra careful around the edges. This particular wrap is pretty flexible, and was easy to work with. Seems to have good adhesion as well, which is plus.

RQfi6lv.jpg

With the wrap installed, I worked any lingering bubbles out and then mounted the display to the case using some extremely strong double-sided tape. It feels really secure, so going to leave it like that for now. Here is a sneak-peak at what CAM will look like as a dashboard on this display.

N3h4DRc.jpg

With the Stats Screen up, moving on to the Case Lighting. In most of my builds, I prefer to leverage the built in RGB LED motherboard headers to control all aspects of system lighting, to get consistent colors and brightness. With this build, the user will be working in a multi-OS environment, and didn't want the RGB elements to be dependent on an OS specific application, such as ASUS Aura in Windows. That is the reason for using the HUE+ unit. Once the colors have been selected, they will stay as-is, even when booting into a different Operating System. In addition to controlling the fans, the HUE kits also have some pretty nice RGB LED strips, so it should work out really well once everything is installed and configured.

In the picture to the right, just showing as a reminder to always line up the small arrow with the voltage input on these strips. Usually it will be 12v, but in the case of the NZXT Strips, 5v is used.

mOc1qso.jpg

With that completed, here is a quick shot of the the case lighting in effect!

iIOQpPI.jpg

Still have a lot of work to do with the power cables, and verifying the loops are leak-proof, then adding the color to the liquid, but getting closer to being done.

Last edited:
Project Ecthelion: Sleeved Cables... CableMod sucks

Been a while between my last post and this one. During that time we sold our home and moved, had various work trips, and went on a family vacation. Back from all that, and ready to finish this build!

With the tubing done, and the small stats display screen involved, it is time to run all the various power cables to the components in the case. In the past I have always made my own sleeved cables and they came out really well. For this build, the owner wanted cables from CableMod, so we took to the configuration tool to get the length and colors he wanted. The tool works really well, and the cables were ordered. Unfortunately, the ordering process was the ONLY positive experience we had using CableMod cables. More on that farther down the post.

Once the cables finally arrived (a few weeks as they came from Hong Kong), they looked pretty good. I was a bit disappointed to how thin they were compared to the custom cables I have made on my own builds (my cables on top, CableMod below), but the colors look great and should work fine despite how thin the cables / sleeving are.

ycBF1YO.jpg

In addition to the PSU cables, I needed to make a custom fan splitter for the 2x 140mm exhaust fans in the case, so that can run off the same motherboard header, and spin at the same speeds with minimal configuration. Could have ordered these as well, but had all the parts to make them, so did that instead.

kD5sA4t.jpg

With the fan cables done I moved on to routing the cables from the various components, through the case, and back to the PSU. The process was fairly easy with this case, but despite how large the case is, running this many cables can still be a lot of work.

iOypGt4.jpg

During the cable routing process, I ran into my first issue with CableMod. Even though I specified which Power Supply we were using during the ordering / configuration process, the 8pin CPU Power cable had the wrong head installed, wouldn't fit in the power supply as can be seen in the picture below.

3ZDgl3b.jpg

I was hoping with the 8pin head swap out of the way, I could quickly move along with the system....

I was wrong. This is where the issues with our CableMod order really came to light. Their quality control is horrible. Turns out every single cable we purchased from them had to be re-wired. Huge waste of time. I'm not exactly sure what they did to screw this up so bad, but I think they wired these cables as you would extension cables, not ones that go directly from the PSU to your components.

For a visual example, to the left is the stock EVGA PSU cables for the 24pin motherboard connection, and I am holding together the two cables that connect on the PSU and Motherboard connectors. On the right are the connecting cables from the ones purchased at CableMod. Notice they are not the same, and the Motherboad will not power on in this configuration. The Graphics Cards also didn't power up until I fixed the cables.

bDQN8EZ.jpg

This held true for every individual cable,with every cable. So I went to task re-wiring every... single... cable. At this point I was really regretting the decision to order sleeved cables instead of making them myself as I usually do. Pretty sure I could have made my own set faster than the time spent taking apart the CabeMod ones, and wiring them back together correctly.

NgoVKwv.jpg

With that daunting task out of the way I set out to run the cables through the case again. But this time I tested each component before running the cables through the grommets just in case. Luckily, my work is better than CableMods, and everything powered on as it should.

zpqbayr.jpg

Cables and Sleeving is always a time consuming process, but this particular instance was especially frustrating as we purchased these cables to avoid the typical time suck, only to spend MORE time fixing them than what had been required had I just built my own from scratch. I will never purchase from CableMod again, and will be contacting them to let them know their quality control is non existent.

Man that's rough. I have some CableMod cables that I didn't have any issues with, but now I might rethink ordering from them again. You shouldn't have to check the wiring of a cable bundle before hooking it up. That's just unacceptable.

Man that's rough. I have some CableMod cables that I didn't have any issues with, but now I might rethink ordering from them again. You shouldn't have to check the wiring of a cable bundle before hooking it up. That's just unacceptable.

No kidding. At first I thought it was just a single PSU connector that needed to be changed, and I was fine with that as mistakes happen. But when I discovered that every cable had to be re-wired... I was a tad pissed.

Leak Testing, Benchmarks, and Temps

After a lot of frustration, the cables are done and its time to move on to the more fun parts of finishing up the build. Now that everything is in place, we can begin to make sure our connections are sound and start filling up the loops. Being that we are dealing with 2 loops here, leak testing is going to take a while. Bring on the distilled water!

7k2mlcm.jpg

In the picture above on the left is the rig ready to be filled. The the right we have gone through that process, and have booted up for the first time with liquid. I basically let it sit like this for a few hours, with paper towels placed in a few leak prone locations to see what would happen. Thankfully, we had zero leaks! Now that we are verified to be leak free at ambient temperatures, I also want to begin stress testing to make sure it holds true when loop temps increase.

While I have a few stress tests running for the CPU and GPUs, lets play with the case lighting. Below you can can the standard White LED output using the NZXT hardware in the system. To the left is a cool blue alteration. Thinking I will stick with the clean white look for this build.

DoefTwo.jpg

Here is a shot of the back of the case to showcase the cable management and "hidden" tubing. Not going to win any prizes for inconspicuous cable runs here, but it works and is easy enough to manage.

FSoYdZX.jpg

I let the stress tests run for around 2 hours, and am happy to report there are no leaks, and temperatures are really looking good, as they should with this much cooling hardware. CPU stays around 42C when stressed and the GPUs never went above 47C. That being said, these numbers are reported at stock clocks, so I would expect the temps to climb a bit once overclocks are applied.

When at idle and during "regular" computing, temperatures sit at around 30C. Again, this is without overclocks applied and in my basement, so the ambient temperature is a tad lower than normal. But still... really happy with the temperatures shown below to the left. On the right is a quick run of 3DMark's Time Spy to get a general idea of system performance. Score of 17,042 at stock settings, better than 99% of all systems tested. Not bad!

fKHAHHL.jpg

Link to the Time Spy test:

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/3770997

Now that we are verified to be leak free and all the hardware is working as it should, we can move on to adding some color to our loops.

mm0mqFx.jpg

Will be showing that in the next post. Almost done!

Fluid Color Additive

• Leak testing... Completed
  • Benchmarks... Completed
  • Stress Tests... Completed
Now its time to add pretty colors to the fluid loops!

07KUbp9.jpg

Sticking with Mayhem's Pastel additives, as I used the Pastel Blue in my current rig, and after 1 year, it still looks great. Haven't experienced the particulate settling issues some have reported, possibly because of the speed my pumps run. Whatever the reason, it has been great for me, and I'm excited to see how it looks in this build.

3nwv8cR.jpg

The fill process is pretty basic, but be sure to keep paper towels handy, as this stuff can stain if it makes contact with a wood counter top, clothing, or other porous material. I used a little funnel to help keep things from spilling and make it easier to fill the reservoirs.

uZ6DxeY.jpg

If the system is running while you are pouring the color additive, it will quickly move through the loops as the pumps whip it around pretty fast. The loops were fully mixed within just a minute or two after adding the colors.

Y34pKKh.jpg

Huzzah! Kind of looks like "Whole Milk" next to "Blue Milk" from StarWars. Really pleased with how these 2 colors look together, and how well they complement the case and hardware.

Its taken a while to get this far, but next up... FINAL BUILD PICS!

Reactions: psy81
like this
Back