Project: dislexicllama (STC-T01+PAINT+WATER)

oneil

Limp Gawd
About time I post a damn worklog of this build... :)

Specs are as follow:
C2D E6600 2.4Ghz
XFX 8800GTS 640MB
P5B Deluxe
2x 1024MB OCZ Performance Platinum 800Mhz
650W Enermax Infinity
Asus CDR/CDRW/DVDR/DVDRW/CDDVDROM
2x 250GB + 1x 320GB HDDs
Coolermaster Stacker Original (custom interior paint)
water loop: icefloe CPU, EK 8800, MCP655, BIPII, Tygon Black

The goal here was to maximize the black in the case. Black paint, black tube, black mobo, black everything. Only things not black are GPU (only non-black XFX 8800 :() and RAM (platinum.. whoppdeedoo)

On to the pics.. captions are below the pics. Not really a worklog per se, just explaining pics/guiding you along. :D

Enjoy!

case004eb7.jpg

My workbench: Ikea desk, bed (wool blankets not recommended!)

case009ft1.jpg

My screwdriver wouldnt fit in here and was seriously stripping the screws, so I had to find something smaller to use...

case010kl7.jpg

Twice the time and a few layers of skin later, this itsy bitsy tool got all the screws out :)

case017ok2.jpg

Found this factory damage hidden under the front top piece

case011hf7.jpg

case018dh5.jpg

case019ug7.jpg

case020hr1.jpg

All done! Ready to be taped up.. after some cleaning

case022mj7.jpg

I thought these would work well for removing grease and gunk, I was all hyped and everything!....

case023yq2.jpg

...Till I saw the bloody mess they left behind after drying :mad:

case024am3.jpg

Handy little trick Arcy gave me, takes off most of the glue so it dosent damage any paint on removal...

case025dv4.jpg

case026bj0.jpg

Taped up and ready for paint

case027wi0.jpg

case028sf6.jpg

Paint and painting accesories

case029nn8.jpg

I scared the little asian neighbours with my darth vader-like breathing lol

case031ma0.jpg

case030yy5.jpg

First/second coats of self-etching primer are on..

case032ab4.jpg

Chilling outside while primer dries.

case034eg1.jpg

case035uo7.jpg

case036ui4.jpg

case033at2.jpg

Primer is all done, with some weird [powdery] texture left behind at some spots

case037oq2.jpg

case038sy4.jpg

While the primer cures, taking apart the old rig and removing watercooling components.

I knew there would be a cake of dust in the rad, but this is ridiculous... The screws were wrapped in dust that would act as a bolt - stopping me from unscrewing them :mad:
case039ha1.jpg

case041rz5.jpg

case042fk4.jpg

case040kp9.jpg

case043xu8.jpg

Let's prove to the cynics that tubing does fog..

case044yt8.jpg

Underside of the pump, paint peeled off (it used to sit on double-sided tape) and allowed rust to form. I shouldve sanded and painted it but didnt get around to.

case045zc6.jpg

Alright, so I dropped my rad and Maze4 block and the corner of the block did the above damage :(
Notice how there appears to be rust on the fins of the rad? Weird, I dunno what happened there

case046ml9.jpg

case021rl7.jpg

Hotwiring trash PSU for cleaning purposes.. 2.5L of white vinegar, 2x 4L of distilled water

case062id7.jpg

Primer is all dry, first coat of flat black on. Boy is this stuff ever hard to put on evenly..

case063nv1.jpg

case064rm3.jpg

case065ny8.jpg

Few more coats later. While that dries I prepped the parts for assembly

case066ud3.jpg

I swear by this stuff to take AS5 off, works much better than anything else. (It's lighter fluid, for you non-french ppl :p)

case067ln6.jpg

case074js8.jpg

Core(s) of the rig ;)

case069yn3.jpg

case070cb5.jpg

Saw this after installing the cpu block. mobo and everything was rebuilt and too much of a hassle to take apart so I left it there.. *crosses fingers*

case071xv0.jpg

case072jh1.jpg

The stock nVidia cooler was damn near impossible to remove, I was sweating profusely while gently twisting it off. Had to keep this $500 card alive :eek:

case073ng5.jpg

Nice EK block.. this thing weighs as much as my cat. I was worried it would damage/bend/warp the card.

case075mn8.jpg

While trying to install the block, instructions said to use these thermal pads. First of all, there werent enough in the box to cover everything, they were bent/ripped/squished due to shipping and were bloody impossible to put on. So I took the executive decision to replace them with AS5

case076kk9.jpg

case077gf2.jpg

Here's the block on the card

case078xt8.jpg

case079mx5.jpg

case081kt8.jpg

case080hr6.jpg

Case all assembled and ready for hardware.

Installation went smoothly, tubing was remarkably easy to route/mount on metal high flow barbs, incredibly difficult on plastic perfect seal barbs..

case084pd9.jpg

case085if3.jpg

case086qv6.jpg

Bleeding this thing is a nightmare with just the T-line :(

case087hj2.jpg

case088bh2.jpg

case090ao7.jpg

case091et2.jpg

case092mp0.jpg

Rad was mounted in the front, taking 7 of the 12 bays. Notice the lack of clearance with the front I/O panel.. That's [H]ard :D :rolleyes:

case089kf7.jpg

I only painted the case+mobo tray, I'll do this little stuff later on.

case093aj4.jpg

case094oe1.jpg

4-in-3 disk drive enclosure, with a missing front grille piece (cant find it for the life of me.. anyone got a spare? :()

case095jy7.jpg

With the black tubing, I wanted to be able to see coolant/bubble level so I used some of my remaining clear tubing from my previous build.

case096xs8.jpg

All done, missing some serious cable management though. That'll come after the black SATA cables are purchased <3

case083mb1.jpg

case082oh0.jpg

My 2 aliases :)

Finally, throughout the build you gotta have something to keep you going..... I had these racked up above me the whole time :D:D

And my guardian-angel-hula-girl looked over my hardware while the case was being painted:
case016rv8.jpg

That's it for pics, the following are macro shots I took throughout. If you want the full size/high res pics lemme know and I'll up them.

Peace!

Thanks Arcygenical for all your help throughout the build. I'm sure I would've somehow fkcued up the painting without you :D

Still to do:
- Wire management
- 2x white cathodes
- CM Stacker window panel (dammmnnn these are expensive :()

Update 02/08/2007

So I thought the coolant sitting at the bottom of my case (looks good when glowing green) was runoff from accidental runoff from filling the T-Line. I took off my side panel to check on the fan power connections (one of my rad fans wasent plugged in right) and saw coolant dripping down the side of my case... That would explain why my loop wasent bled after 30+ hours. Anyways ended up being one of the rad barbs wasent completely covered in tubing. My rad is held up at the barbs by two zip ties and the width of the tie was enough to push the tubing/screw-tie.

All fixed now, will add some pics later this week..

Nice work.
I suggest painting the top black as well, the top cover piece thingy. I took mine off, but yeah, I think it would look better black with only the front rails stock.

Contact Coolermaster about spares, I had to do it and they are very reasonable in their pricing.

Going to think about a window or anything?

I have that same CPU block, can you post temps when you are done?

You mean when I get around to plugging in the second fan on my rad? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm idling at 52C on the GPU right now with 1 fan :(

AS5 is bad for RAM chips, replace it with ceramique or silicon goop,

Well shit, brb while I go cry.... then find a retailer that sells ceramique around here. Is it just Arctic Ceramique?

As5 is NOT bad for the ram chips, provided you apply it correctly. Using LOTS of it causes it to drip over the edge of the chip, and run into the contact pins... Using the correct amount is totally safe.

Back