Project Dark Angel

flat4

[H]ard|Gawd
Well I've decided to make a new computer and take my time making it unlike my first computer. For the case I picked a Lian-Li PC-65B. This is a case I have always like and wanted. I am going to be painting the whole inside of the case in Flat Black. I chose Flat Black because I've noticed every case that is painted on the inside is a gloss. For the lighting I chose to go with White LED case fans and White CCFL's. I'm not to sure how I am going to be doing the cooling yet, most likely water. Well I forgot to take pics of the case when I first got it. Only after I started to gut it. Let me show you the progress I’ve done so far:

Here is the side view of the front panel and side panel off:
Prep2_s.jpg

Prep1_s.jpg

The front view with the same progress
Prep3_s.jpg

Starting to prep the bare metal
Prep6_s.jpg

Prep5_s.jpg

Prep4_s.jpg

Here is the case with 2 coat of paint
Paint_case_s.jpg

Paint_PSU_bracket_s.jpg

Paint_MOBO_tray_s.jpg

Paint_drive_racks_s.jpg

This is all I have done so far. I will post more when I have time to work on it.
Feel free to post if u like it or hate it, or any other ideas u can give me.

Looks like it was done at the factory.
Can't wait to see this finished. Keep up the good work.

its didnt use primer i didnt think about it till now. but the paint is Rust-Oleum flat protective enamel

does it scratch off easily? because i used krylon and plasti-kote on plain metal without primer and it scratches off SO easily, but ive never tried rust-oleum

so far it hasnt but it is still hand drying over night. i rumbed on it with my hand and it stays on it.

does anyone know where i can get a black mobo? im havin trouble finding one. and a good one at that. ive seen silver. but thats about it

the ic7 or ic7-max3 is black (or a really dark brown), but i dunno if you want intel.

soyo has some black athlon XP motherboards, but i don't know if you'd want one of those, either. soltek has a couple in the a64 range, as do asus, soyo, chaintech, and msi.

nice paint job, btw. looks pretty cool.

all the mobos i like that are black are all 64's... maybe this means something ;)

I did a little bit more stuff tonight. I put it all back together, put all the fans in and put in 1 CCFL. Well here are the pics i took:

Assembly_1.jpg

Assembly_2.jpg

Assembly_3.jpg

Assembly_4.jpg

Assembly_5.jpg

Assembly_6.jpg

I cant really do much more untill i get the Power Supply.

BTW, I need some opinions, should I paint the back fan grill, leave it silver or take it off? I dont know which i should do. Also should i paint the slot covers or leave them chrome?

whoa thats really amazing lol. i love it.
i dunno on the fan grill, it would probally look good chrome/black/or white. :cool:

looking forward for more heh

I would of chopped the rear fan cover and replaced it with something else. I wouldnt get flashy or into kooky shapes but sometihng simple that still has a shine to it.

As for the rear covers, I think they look amazing in the chrome look against that matte paint finish. If you do decide to paint them send them to me and I'll send you some others as I could always use the spare Lian-Li ones. :D

Overall I think it is coming out beautifully, I am even considering that type of finish on a future project of mine now. I cant wait to see what else you will be doing with it.

~Kris

i like it. i'd do the fan grill in black, so it matches the case, as well as the slot covers, and put a black fan in there too. unless you want chrome bits in it... as highlights. you know. up to you, not my mod:p but i'd do the all black. oh - make sure your video card is black, and stay away from seagate hard drives unless you're doing the chrome highlights thing (them things is shiny)

sapphire makes some black video cards. i know they at least have a black 9800pro, and probably have a black x800 coming too. for cooling - you'll probably have to get someone to anodize you (or do it yourself) an aluminum video card heatsink black so it didn't hurt performance (generally no a good idea to paint a hsf) you could probably get a vga silencer reasonable cheap and get that anodized black (unless a little copper color wouldn't hurt)

paint the shroud on a vga silencer (vinyl dye)

Get a raptor (they are black)

and an alpha heat sink.

totally black

edit: my bad, ment to hit edit.

wow that looks sick, never though flat black would look so great in a case. This case is rockin'.

for the motherboard thing i would just say get a decent mobo and spray paint it, make sure you dont fuckup but other than that it should work just fine, also this way no other parts are changed in color like on soyo's

spraypaint the mobo? i never heard of that before. is it safe?

Morphes said:
for the motherboard thing i would just say get a decent mobo and spray paint it, make sure you dont fuckup but other than that it should work just fine, also this way no other parts are changed in color like on soyo's

Have you done this personaly? Doesnt realy sound like that great of an idea imo

JEEVES

i've seen it done, and it didn't hurt anything... you just have to make sure you cover everything you plug stuff into, as well as the pins for everything... looks really cool if it's done right tho.

yeah i did it to an old p2 mobo and it still works, infact its running my file server right now.

I think that I would go black with some chrome highlights in it.If you get too much black in there it mighjt not look as good as it does right now.

Can't wait to see it finished!

Black is beautiful. Much <3.

However, one thing: this sort of chrome-looking border thingy on the top drive bays, that curves round toward the PSU, what's that?

its a rubber protector so u dont cut your hand on the ruff edges. im thinkin about takin it off.

sorry for not posting about the project. I just ordered my psu.http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...=1510&osCsid=a688520d923558848bdd0fbb5ce4ad10. will be also ordering my mobo as soon as the NF7-S2G comes out. for the proc. I will be using the one that is in my system right now. since i just got it not to long ago. for the sound card im going to use a audigy 2 zs. most likely i will be getting a X800, but not to sure. All the stuff I have to order is going to have to wait till after the 15th. because i just bought a plane ticket to Cali, to visit my family and friends. but who knows I mite just go ahead and order everything tonight. I tend to do that alot, just buy hardware out of nowhere. Hopfully i will be getting the psu by thursday, firday at the latest. and get it installed and hide some of the wires. Well that is all for now.

call me a pessimist but i think that picking your parts solely based on color is a good way to end up with a crappy computer

the case looks really good painted like that, what kind of paint did you use?

paint the slot covers.

and also cut out the back fan grill ;)

the flat looks nice man, wonder how its gonna look through a window? i just painted the inside of my sonata, working on it is an ongoing (months) project of mine, probably will have it done by the time the next intel chipset is out, gonna try to milk my 2.4c as long as possible ;)

heres the link to the NF7-S2G...http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=205 i dont know when its soppesed to come out.

also i am not going to go with a specific color scheme. i was thinkin about it and changed my mind.

i will prolly end up cuting out the back fan grill but i havnt boughten a dremel yet, i have been looking at the different models. which one is the best deal? i saw one at home depot and it had a little cutting saw, and it had a bunch of extra bits for a 100, then i went to lowes and saw the saw for 30 i believe. is it good to get the extension?

the flexshaft for the dremel (extender thingy) is useful, but the old one is better than the new one (it is thinner - i have the old one but no dremel now) of course i never use it, but then again i don't dremel that much anyway. i think it would be worth it to get the dremel with the flexshaft, just so you have it if you need it. it can come in handy, especially when making a cut in the middle of a large area.

that mobo looks pretty cool... i may have to get one as a 'farewell board' to the axp platform. and i need a better mobo anyway... but looks good to me. does it have soundstorm?

Back