Project Cars?

Dethred

2[H]4U
Just stumbled across some youtube videos for this game. Was wondering if anyone has any experience with it or has been following it?

It simply looks epic: http://youtu.be/4NSjfaSw4_M

I sold my G27 after finding GT5 to be terrible, but if this game pans out I'm going to have to sell my wife and buy another wheel.

Apparently this is also coming to Wii U with all kinds of enhancements.
http://www.complex.com/video-games/2012/04/project-cars-adds-all-kinds-of-wii-u-controls

Awesome video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9MH53c2d6M&

Takes advantage of the Controller Screen, Touch, Gyroscope, and Frontfacing
Camera...

.Screen as primary view - Ie.. allowing you to transfer play of the
game between the TV and on-the-go around the house
.Screen as secondary view - Switch between rear-view mirror,
overhead map, telemetry
.Primary input method - Drive by tilting the controller, onscreen
buttons replicate the buttons/switches on a real wheel (push to
toggle on/off or flip up/down)
.Secondary input method - Manage decisions in the pits (swiping
through tire choices, setting fuel amount),
.Camera - Personalize your profile, pose for the podium
.Menu navigation method - Flick photos from your gallery to the TV,
private chat with teammates

Neat.

Last edited:
Looks like this but I'm trying to play with a XBOX 360 controller and it's really hard because they haven't added in the proper options to adjust sensitivity. Also doesn't help that the controller is from the first edition XBOX's and has created many holes in the wall. :)

Skip to 9:35.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBt71gtwl54&feature=plcp

The 3D option is fake as it's just 2D to 3D by Youtube. Experimenting with stuff a bit.

Towards the end you notice that the hood is "up". That's because I broke it. LOL!

Last edited:
I tried it out and the racing in general feels good for the few cars they currently have in the alpha but the graphics are not quite there yet. Sort of looks like F1 2012 with higher resolution car models. The world feels like it is lacking just a bit but I'm sure they will add something to it to spice it up as it gets developed further.

I tried it out and the racing in general feels good for the few cars they currently have in the alpha but the graphics are not quite there yet. Sort of looks like F1 2012 with higher resolution car models. The world feels like it is lacking just a bit but I'm sure they will add something to it to spice it up as it gets developed further.

The tracks aren't nearly completed yet as they are more concerned about nailing the physics in multiplayer atm. If you look at the video in the OP you'll see that in January they didn't even have a driver for the cars. Slowly but surely it's coming around.

I believe it was originally supposed to be F2P or something along those lines where you bought the base game with a few cars and tracks then paid additional money for more tracks and cars. Then they got a lot more funding and decided to go standalone which added substantially to the development cycle.

What settings are you running may I ask? I'm running it @1920x1080 with everything on maximum, photo realistic, vsync off, and FXAA off. It's runs at 50 fps with dips to the high 30's. It kinda makes me want a second 7950, but I'm not so sure if I want the headache. It runs great in 3D btw. TriDef generic settings work well enough although it definitely needs some TLC for the menus.

The tracks aren't nearly completed yet as they are more concerned about nailing the physics in multiplayer atm. If you look at the video in the OP you'll see that in January they didn't even have a driver for the cars. Slowly but surely it's coming around.

I believe it was originally supposed to be F2P or something along those lines where you bought the base game with a few cars and tracks then paid additional money for more tracks and cars. Then they got a lot more funding and decided to go standalone which added substantially to the development cycle.

What settings are you running may I ask? I'm running it @1920x1080 with everything on maximum, photo realistic, vsync off, and FXAA off. It's runs at 50 fps with dips to the high 30's. It kinda makes me want a second 7950, but I'm not so sure if I want the headache. It runs great in 3D btw. TriDef generic settings work well enough although it definitely needs some TLC for the menus.

Yeah, I know the game is still in the early stages which is why I said it would probably look better as it gets closer to release. I run the game at 2560x1440 on max everything with 4xAA, SMAA Ultra, and photorealistic. It's definitely a game I will be purchasing whether or not the graphics make the jump I expect them too because we are starving for good racing simulators on PC aside from the F1 series and I like what I see so far. I wouldn't have donated money to their cause if I didn't think what they were doing was worth it.

we are starving for good racing simulators on PC aside from the F1 series and I like what I see so far.

Not sure what you're saying here, but neither F1 2012 or pcars are sims, pcars is a better simcade game than crappy F1 2012, but I don't think pcars will ever become sim worthy, but it certainly has potential as a good racing game.

I've never been able to watch ISR, they are so terribly produced and seem to take forever to say nothing. They were wise to employ Jessica Lopez, there's not much other reason to watch it :D Though even then it's a bit odd why the chick would hang around with the 2 creepy old guys, lol. They talked about PCARS for about 8 minutes and communicated very little information and said nothing terribly insightful or significant. Sounds like they were just trying to carefully remove their feet from their mouths from some comments they should have never made in a previous video rather than say anything too much insightful about it.

You have P Cars Tudz? if so you should try this Friday's patch and the Pagani Zonda R. That car handles like a dream now and is so much fun to drive! They completely revamped the FFB and you have a very good idea when the wheels are going to lose grip. Wish I had a wheel to properly slide the back end. Might sneak one into my budget although I need to buy a washing machine first. :(

I still wish they could do a better damage model for the Pagani other than panels coming off. It's obvious that they can crumble sheet a car in the graphics engine as some of the SMS cars get creases, dents, crushed noses, etc when they wreck. The licensed cars only have panels that come off. :)

Not sure what you're saying here, but neither F1 2012 or pcars are sims, pcars is a better simcade game than crappy F1 2012, but I don't think pcars will ever become sim worthy, but it certainly has potential as a good racing game.

Have you tried F1 2012? What basis of comparison do you have?

You have P Cars Tudz? if so you should try this Friday's patch and the Pagani Zonda R. That car handles like a dream now and is so much fun to drive! They completely revamped the FFB and you have a very good idea when the wheels are going to lose grip. Wish I had a wheel to properly slide the back end. Might sneak one into my budget although I need to buy a washing machine first. :(

I still wish they could do a better damage model for the Pagani other than panels coming off. It's obvious that they can crumble sheet a car in the graphics engine as some of the SMS cars get creases, dents, crushed noses, etc when they wreck. The licensed cars only have panels that come off. :)

Yeah I have project cars, but I'm approximately 10,000 miles from my steering wheel so there's not much point me playing it at the moment :D

very informative...

F1 2012 is an arcade save file corrupting turd that doesn't work well with my wheel.

pcars is a simcade racer which does work with my wheel and has yet to crash on me in over 6months.

That's what I've heard also (Nov '13).
I tried it out yesterday and it's a fun simcade.
Yes there's a lot still to be done, but it's nice to be able to test it out during this early stage.
In comparing it to iRacing, it's less competitive, but more fun IMO. And definitely is a simcade mix.

Anyone enjoying the new tire model they added for testing and feedback? I can slide the cars around curves like I loved to do on my Subaru @ 120 mph before someone decided to steal it. I hope they add in some Subarus for us to mess around with. That would be sweet!

To enable the new tire mode add -seta . You can also do -dx11 -use3DScene although they tanked my frame rate. Might have to get a 2nd card for Crossfire to run the last part. Make sure you put a space between each arguement. So my launcher looks like:

"G:\Program Files (x86)\WMD\pCARS\pCarsLauncher.exe" -dx11 -use3DScene -seta

Enjoy and post what you think of the new tire model at least. Remember the 3DScene thing is hard on video cards before you try it.

Edit: Some of the tracks, if you enable light rain when you race on them, have new visuals. Bologna is one for sure and another that starts with a S... Skirrit or something like that lol! The other begins with a B.. Baedring or something. I'm terrible at these track names!

Last edited:
Anyone enjoying the new tire model they added for testing and feedback? I can slide the cars around curves like I loved to do on my Subaru @ 120 mph before someone decided to steal it. I hope they add in some Subarus for us to mess around with. That would be sweet!

To enable the new tire mode add -seta . You can also do -dx11 -use3DScene although they tanked my frame rate. Might have to get a 2nd card for Crossfire to run the last part. Make sure you put a space between each arguement. So my launcher looks like:

"G:\Program Files (x86)\WMD\pCARS\pCarsLauncher.exe" -dx11 -use3DScene -seta

Enjoy and post what you think of the new tire model at least. Remember the 3DScene thing is hard on video cards before you try it.

Edit: Some of the tracks, if you enable light rain when you race on them, have new visuals. Bologna is one for sure and another that starts with a S... Skirrit or something like that lol! The other begins with a B.. Baedring or something. I'm terrible at these track names!

Last weeks build stuttered like a retard for me last week. I hope this one is better...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9lij2GOwm0&feature=youtu.be

I really dig the new tire model. I hope they NEVER go back to the old stuff. Even though it's only supposed to be used with Formula A cars you can actually use it with any car but you have to keep in mind that other cars will have their own tire data. Something like that.

Posted that vid (which I put in crappy resolution, don't ask me why, I'm tired ;) ) and you can see I'm running a full 36 grid race and my 7870 (albeit overclocked) handled it like a charm.

Man this game is a looker and now it looks like they really are gonna give us some decent physics. It still has a way to go but it's definitely better than when I first played the game.

rFactor 2 still blows this out the water in the FFB/Physics department and I'll even say cockpit view in rFactor 2 is something special but pCars is a hot looking game.

Check out my rFactor 2 video on Sebring and notice the in-car reflections when a car is directly behind me. Outstanding stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps5_RdmK2WI

Last weeks build stuttered like a retard for me last week. I hope this one is better...

Man you missed it this week. Everyday was an update for the game.

Did you check out the puddles on the ground on certain tracks? Try Bologna for kicks. It looks great!

We got some new cars added to the game this week. BMW M3 E30 and BMW M3 GT2. Pretty sweet machines and are a blast to drive. They adjusted the tire physics again of course. It seems that the addition of Nicolas Hamilton really solidified the handling of the cars as he drove the M3 professionally. Guess it also helps that his brother is Lewis Hamilton. :D

Too bad they closed off entry into the Alpha as the game is really sweet to play! The new track they added is fun even without the scenery in yet. And the new rain effects are really good. One of the BMW's is debuting a new crash deformation system and I can't stop trying different combinations to see what I can do with it. :)

What pc specs should I get to run a solid 60fps with 3 screens

They are going to redo the Physics of the game soon so I couldn't recommend you a PC setup for this game at this time. They optimized the game a bunch over the last few months so I went from 30% cpu usage to 65% this week. So it would be irresponsible for anyone to recommend a computer setup for the game as it's still a work in progress.

i tried the m3 and one of the karts last night...with both vehicles i had an instance of lightly brushing the wall, both at under 30mph and my vehicle suddenly flipped up into the air, much like mark webber at valencia. definitely a couple WTF moments...very odd.

the superkart wasnt even drivable, it kept wanting to go to one side.

i tried the m3 and one of the karts last night...with both vehicles i had an instance of lightly brushing the wall, both at under 30mph and my vehicle suddenly flipped up into the air, much like mark webber at valencia. definitely a couple WTF moments...very odd.

the superkart wasnt even drivable, it kept wanting to go to one side.

The superfast kart is broken for now because they haven't done the tire physics for it yet. Got to report the bugs for the M3 and where on the track you experienced the problem so they can fix it. I wish they would fix the fast kart as I did enjoy driving it. I think they said that they will when they add in the different weather tires. Also I heard they were going to change rain physics completely. They don't like the way it looks in this video on the BMW at the beginning.

Last edited:
Looks like Shift2 all over again:rolleyes:

That is my biggest concern. If the game has the weird floatyness of Shift 2 I'll be very disappointed. That being said, I've read that there is no such floatyness in Project Cars, so that would solve my only real worry.

Input Cagey?

Last edited:
That is my biggest concern. If the game has the weird floatyness of Shift 2 I'll be very disappointed. That being said, I've read that there is no such floatyness in Shift 2, so that would solve my only real worry.

Input Cagey?

Shift 2 without the free DLC "Speed Hunters Pack & Legends Pack" is a complete waste of time to play as the cars are almost uncontrollable. They turning radius is a joke. It's like driving tractor trailers. If you add in the DLC then it's serviceable, but it's not fun as it could be due to the "float" all over the track physics. Feels like auto aim in console games.

Project Cars doesn't seem to have that problem. A couple of the cars are missing their proper tire and physics model, but those are known issues. I'm not going to hold that against them as they have stated that they need to update those in the near future. Some of the cars are just ruthless if you make a mistake. Every time I get in the Ariel Atom I get that feeling of euphoria when I watched Top Gear and they tested the car. Then I have to maneuver around the track and it's unforgiving. That car requires a wheel to master.

I am not a hardcore sim driver. I don't have the real estate in my current PC setup to have a wheel even if I were to purchase a stand. With that said, if I play P Cars and then Shift 2 it's not even close which is more fun. They don't feel the same. Shift 2 is just an arcade game to me. I got more useful feedback playing Daytona back in the day.

What I would like to get from Project Cars is more force feedback responsiveness. I see my tires at the brink of no return, I see them skip and prance a bit. I see them grasp frantically for traction that isn't there, but I don't get relayed all of that information back into my controller. It does in a general sort of way but some of the little things aren't there yet. Those minute details when you're going 120 mph into a 35 mph curve and your steering wheel relays every bump in the road. Or maybe that the limitations of my XBOX 360 controller and I really need to rearrange my PC for a wheel. :)

In the Simbin games there are more FFB clues. The P Cars developers have stated that they know about the issue, but right now they are trying to introduce more cars, tracks, and polish them. Fine tuning will be done, but not the top priority right now as there are many more months before the game is close to a release date. It's Alpha and I won't hold it against them. Personally I'm stoked to see more cars and tracks!

Sorry about being so late in my response.

Hey no worries, I noticed an error in my post just now too. I edited that out.

Good to know that Project Cars doesn't feel like Shift 2. I've been trying some mods with Shift 2 to get rid of floatiness and improve handling, and it really makes me wonder what the franchise could have been if they'd done it right the first time around. Then I look at Project Cars and my hopes are really high.

I think what you've said here gives me justification in my hopes. I may be rare, but I'm not looking for the game to be an ultimate sim, I'm really hoping it goes for simulation but also goes for the things that make Forza and Gran Turismo so much fun. Things like car collection and variety, and general car buff atmosphere.

I think EA dictated that they make Shift 2 more arcade like than the developers really wanted to. Well that's the feel I got out of reading their boards. But they don't like to talk about the past as that would be biting the hand that fed them. Only mentions to the past are to say 'We have experience making racing games!"

Too bad they closed the beta as they have met their development financial goals. I think $15 could have gotten you a tester spot and at least $15 off the game when it launches. :)

Yeah, I really wanted to sign up, but that was only early January, so I missed by like a month. Oh well.

Question: "The lack of progress with the FFB is a bit off-putting too. As is being raised on various posts, I'm really starting to wonder if there's a fundamental characteristic in the physics engine that's preventing the FFB from hitting some basic "sweet spot"."

Answer: "With this you're assuming that the FFB is explicitly worked on. I'm pretty certain that as long as the tyre model hasn't been finished, nothing fundamental will be done on FFB because any change in in tyre dynamics may result in those FFB changes being all but worthless again. First the basics on which the FFB depends have to be finished, then the FFB can be optimized."

So just as I thought the FFB isn't being optimized at this time, because of the implementation of new tires into the game. Which makes complete and total sense because if a car is supposed to have a certain feel, then it would need it's correct tires first. It's like stacking building blocks; got to build the 1st floor before you put on the roof.

Many of the cars that people love to drive have F1 racing slicks modeled onto them as a temporary placeholder. The devs are trying to get feedback on the 1 or 2 cars they are actually working on that week to see what feels good to the testers. There are 80,000 testers so the developers are getting very good feedback which is translating into newbies like me beginning to really like the handling of certain cars.

Of course some of the testers are saying that the new tires aren't as fun to drive as the old tires because they refuse to touch anything that's not running around on F1 tires. Like they really think those are going to be on every car. :) Even if the devs say to implicitly test Car A by listing 10 changes in the patch notes for it, you still get facepalm moments from people that want glue applied to the tires. I could not be a developer.

There are blog like forum posts from Hamilton on handling that are being taken seriously by the developers. He discussed kerbs / curbs and the impact of them on corner speed, racing lines, feel, and level of satisfaction achieved with different cars. So this week the developers took his suggestions to heart and did some major adjustments to car height, rear ends, curb adjustments, etc. Hamilton also expressed his desire to see a cold tire model introduced as he says that in real life it's the hardest thing to master.

So that was a very brief update on what's going on in the world of SMS and Project Cars. There's entirely too much going on over there for me to try and summarize everything as many topics are beyond my technical know how. But it is very fun to read nevertheless. Just wanted to keep you abreast of what direction the game is following.

Enjoy!

Back