Project: Blind To Defeat

cheesehazard

Weaksauce
Just started modding my new case a little. I was wondering what you guys think I should do with my radiator, use 4 80 mm fans or 2 120 mm fans. I have to go to home depot tomorrow to get some nuts and bolts to finish up the casters I stuck on the bottom of my case and I am also going to go grab some fans and tubing for my watercooling.

DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

I am going to make a shroud for the fans so it sucks the air from the front of the case, where the 120 mm fan is now and forces it into the fans and over the radiator. The fans are gonna be mounted inside the case blowing down.

Where did you get that rad?
I would go w/ 4 QUIET 80mm fans but that's just me.
Looks like it's going to be.....wait for it.......Cool :cool: :eek: Ahhh I'm so lame.

stryder2720 said:
Where did you get that rad?
I would go w/ 4 QUIET 80mm fans but that's just me.
Looks like it's going to be.....wait for it.......Cool :cool: :eek: Ahhh I'm so lame.
I got it off ebay. From here . I am still debating on using some peilters one for my gpu and one for my cpu. I probably wont end up useing them though. Also anyone know of a free program that allows me to upload pictures to my webspace so I dont have to manually do them one by one.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
4 80mm is better. Actually it depends on if you're going for noise or preformance. 4 deltas would rock that rad, but be really loud.

DSCF0007.jpg

DSCF0010.jpg

DSCF0011.jpg

DSCF0015.jpg

Those grey boxes are for wireing things outside. I am thinking about useing them as my reservoirs with some plexi or acrylic over them. I am gonna paint them black to match the case if i do it, but I am not sure if i like it or not. Any suggestions would be great. The 120 mm fan I had in there was pretty loud. I guess I will go with 4 80 mms and just hook them up to a fan controller so if the noise is getting to me I can just turn them down.

l0cke said:
4 80mm is better. Actually it depends on if you're going for noise or preformance. 4 deltas would rock that rad, but be really loud.
Noise shouldnt be a problem. I am gonna go with this. So I need to get 4 80 mm fans with the highest CFM. Not sure if I should go with led fans or just black. I guess it really doesnt matter though. Which fans should I get and where can I get them?

How about a 150mm Fan?
Just throwin it out there.
That fan controller is $9.99 Here and it rocks, I have one and like it alot. That fan pulls 19.2 Watts according to FrozenCPU and the fan controller can handle 20watts per channel. Do we have a winner?

stryder2720 said:
How about a 150mm Fan?
Just throwin it out there.
That fan controller is $9.99 Here and it rocks, I have one and like it alot. That fan pulls 19.2 Watts according to FrozenCPU and the fan controller can handle 20watts per channel. Do we have a winner?
It would be bad ass to have two of those 150 mm fans but at 50 dollars a pop thats a little more than i want to pay for fans. I just started pulling some fans out of older pcs to test everything out and it looks like I wont be able to fit 4 80 mms on the bottom. So I either go 3 80 mms or 2 120 mms. The most cfm on an 80 mm I can find is the vantec tornado. Those fans have more cfm than the 120 mms I have found. I am going to a computer store tomorrow to see if they have any high cfm fans in stock so I should have a lot more to update.

cheesehazard said:
It would be bad ass to have two of those 150 mm fans but at 50 dollars a pop thats a little more than i want to pay for fans. I just started pulling some fans out of older pcs to test everything out and it looks like I wont be able to fit 4 80 mms on the bottom. So I either go 3 80 mms or 2 120 mms. The most cfm on an 80 mm I can find is the vantec tornado. Those fans have more cfm than the 120 mms I have found. I am going to a computer store tomorrow to see if they have any high cfm fans in stock so I should have a lot more to update.

Side winder has 120mm fans

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/de12trblhisp.html

they also got a 190 and 220 cfm

Today I bought 4 80 mm fans from a local computer shop for 8 dollars each. They are SilverStone FM82. They come with an adjustment for the fan speed so I dont need to buy a fan controller now. They have 72.48 cfm . Tomorrow I am going to try to find some black tubing for my water cooling system. If I get lucky and find some I should have my water cooling system installed in the pc and near complete.

DSCF0016.JPG

DSCF0017.JPG

DSCF0018.JPG

DSCF0020.JPG

DSCF0021.JPG
DSCF0022.JPG

DSCF0028.JPG

DSCF0029.JPG

DSCF0030.JPG

You mentioned earlier that you plan to have the fans blow out over the radiator, but you have them mounted the other way--sucking air in past the radiator. Did you change your mind, or do you plan to flip the fans over later?
EDIT: The mounting changes from picture to picture. Which one is final?

Mohonri said:
You mentioned earlier that you plan to have the fans blow out over the radiator, but you have them mounted the other way--sucking air in past the radiator. Did you change your mind, or do you plan to flip the fans over later?
EDIT: The mounting changes from picture to picture. Which one is final?
Last picture is the final one. I mounted them in upside down and realized it after I tested them out.

arabdon1203 said:
imo, do sucking then have a 120mm blowhole in the top
If I have them sucking in they will pull in tons of dust and carpet fibers. I am going to have them blowing out on to the floor and sucking air in from the front where the 120 mm fan was. I am going to get some plexi tomorrow to make the duct for the fans.

Started painting my case today.
DSCF0032.JPG
DSCF0033.JPG
DSCF0034.JPG
I will post some more pictures after the second coat of primer dries.

The pictures make the primer look like crap after I resized them.

DSCF0038.JPG
DSCF0039.JPG
DSCF0040.JPG
DSCF0041.JPG
DSCF0042.JPG
DSCF0043.JPG

Just put the last coat of paint on the side panels and on my front panel. If it dries before I go to sleep I will be spraying a clear coat over it. The rest of my water cooling stuff is supposed to be in tomorrow friday and saturday. I also started cutting the plexi for my ducting for the fans at the bottom. I will post more pictures when I find my charger for my camera.

cheesehazard said:

II really like how you have that radiator mounted, I have never seen it done that way before. I will be keeping track of this one.

Looking nice so far - and I'm liking your base-mounted fans/radiator. Your are very close to building my future case.

I have to agree with the rad comments so far.
Very interesting choice in rad location.
I like how thin the rad is as well.
Looking forward to final product so I can see cooling results/temp readings.

D.

Im now thinking about getting another radiator, same as the one I have, and mounting it under the one there already and running a dual loop setup, one for my cpu and one for my gpu. I can always add the loop later on when I get the extra cash. I am waiting on ups and usps to get here with the rest of my gear so I can start putting stuff back together.

You probably should have made a big duct leading into the rad, as to allow more air to flow through the blocked radiator areas.

Destos said:
You probably should have made a big duct leading into the rad, as to allow more air to flow through the blocked radiator areas.
I thought about that but I wouldnt be able to do a dual loop system like I want to do eventually and also the radiator would drag the ground.

DSCF0045.jpg

DSCF0044.jpg

Stripped the black paint off the grills, along with a few layers of my skin. Also painted the plastic parts around the grills flat black. I sealed the metal grills with a matte clear coat also. Came out pretty well.

DSCF0047.jpg
DSCF0049.jpg
DSCF0052.jpg
DSCF0054.jpg
DSCF0057.jpg
DSCF0064.jpg
DSCF0065.jpg
DSCF0069.jpg
DSCF0072.jpg

Just started it up for the first time. Will post temps. Anyone have a good program that shows temps, and cpu info?

That is an interesting build you have there, looks with the handle you made it LAN party ready?

Stu55 said:
That is an interesting build you have there, looks with the handle you made it LAN party ready?
It was on the case already but yes I do plan on going to some lan parties, if i ever find any in the area I am now living in.

cheesehazard said:
Just started it up for the first time. Will post temps. Anyone have a good program that shows temps, and cpu info?

For constant updates, as in having a program always running updating temps... I recommend MBM (aka: Motherboard monitor)
http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

For CPU info and general usage I would recommend using CPU-Z. If you want constant information MBM can also provide some of that.

Pictures are the best I can do with the light in the room right now. I will take some more detailed ones as soon as I get a chance to do so.

DSCF0080.jpg

13 dollar radiator, 2 120 mm fans, new waterblock, and fillport with reservoir which I ended up not using.
DSCF0088.jpg

This is a shot of the rear of the case in complete dark. My flash was to bright.

DSCF0089.jpg

Left side of case.

DSCF0090.jpg

Front panel in the dark.

DSCF0093.jpg

Hard drive temps. Top hard drive is Maxtor 250gig 7200 rpm 8mb cache drive, bottom is Seagate 200gig 7200 rpm 8mb cache.

Last night a windows file was missing and I tried to reinstall xp 64 and found out that my raptor has gone bad already. I am sending it back to new egg for a replacement one. Every single hard drive I have ever owned that has messed up has been a western digital. Sucks, I am really pissed off. I am thinking about just getting 2 7200 sata drives.

Also I forgot to mention, I can not get my temps to go over 32 degrees C. I have been turning the voltage up more and more each time I sit at my desk to see what I can max it out at.

Back