\Project\ Beefy HTPC Fury

UrbanSmooth

Limp Gawd
Here's the plan for a water-cooled mini ITX media PC in a shoebox-style case such as the SG05, utilizing a FULL water-cooling loop, cooling both the CPU and GPU with two 140mm radiators:

pbhf.jpg

The main thing with this is how the PSU is oriented toward the back of the case so that a fan and radiator can fit in the top. The air flow would bring cool air in, passing through the top radiator; the PSU fan then pulls air from the radiator out of the case, cooling the PSU. This can be done by modding the case, simply cut a new PSU mounting hole in the desired location. Exact measurements will vary from project to project.

This is really kind of a mock-up idea to throw out there at the SFF community, however, I will try to follow this mock-up for my next build and first SFF build.

Last edited:
Great concept. A few thoughts from me:

For your top rad, do you need a fan? Maybe you can rely on the PSU fan (or replace the PSU fan with your own unit) and run pull-only.

And... for your top rad, there are some radiators out there with water connections at the "top", example. This may give you more options when mounting, i.e. you can have the radiator flush between the PSU and top of case, and use a few 90-degree barbs/comps out the side to connect with the rest of your loop.

Hey, Calroth. Excellent input, thank you. These are the types of details that we need to look at in bettering this case/poject idea. I welcome Silverstone, Lian-Li, and other case manufacturers of SFF chassis to look into this thread and use this ideas for their future products. Now to answer your questions:

Great concept. A few thoughts from me:

For your top rad, do you need a fan? Maybe you can rely on the PSU fan (or replace the PSU fan with your own unit) and run pull-only.

Great idea for saving space, however, this would be totally dependent upon the PSU fan. Is it enough to help cool the loop? Will it fit flush enough with the radiator to really make a difference? My original concept was to have the PSU exhaust warmer air coming from the radiator.

And... for your top rad, there are some radiators out there with water connections at the "top", example. This may give you more options when mounting, i.e. you can have the radiator flush between the PSU and top of case, and use a few 90-degree barbs/comps out the side to connect with the rest of your loop.

Another excellent detail input again, thank you! As long as the radiator performs well enough to be included in the loop, why not make things easier and save some extra space?

I like this guy, just like me, sits down and writes it out first :D

LOL! Thank you. Sometimes, you get an idea in your head, and MSPaint/GIMP/Photoshop just isn't 'quick' enough to capture that moment of concept.

Great idea for saving space, however, this would be totally dependent upon the PSU fan. Is it enough to help cool the loop? Will it fit flush enough with the radiator to really make a difference? My original concept was to have the PSU exhaust warmer air coming from the radiator.

The PSU fan might not be adequate - but it can be replaced! (If you don't mind opening the PSU and voiding your warranty...)

In general, the fans in modern PSUs only go fast enough to keep the PSU cool; nothing else. Especially the case for "silent" PSUs. In some of these, if it doesn't need the extra cooling, the fan stops!

If you replace the fan with your own, you can choose something that's as strong as you like... and connect it to a fan controller, to tune the flow to your preference.

I know that this sounds somewhat "extreme" step, but a) this is SFF and we might need the extra space, and b) you're probably fine with this stuff, if you're already into watercooling and case modding!

As to the PSU fitting flush with the radiator so that air doesn't "leak" out - it's hard to say if this is a problem, without actually looking at specific parts. But my personal "dirty trick" is this: use duct tape to attach the PSU and the radiator, to create an airtight seal!

Great ideas, once again, Cal. How about we go into business together to create the next great SFF chassis? :D

My current construction project is somewhat similar; some differences are:
- the deboxed / fan-delete PSU goes on the floor in the front (where you have reservoir & front rad) on mobo standoffs
- delete optical drive
- use a dual 140mm rad over the mobo & psu as a vent/blowhole
- no reservoir, inline pump placed on floor under gpu overhang

One thing you definitely want to do is balance air inward flow & outward flow as much as possible to minimize static pressure and noise. Are you looking at a scratch build or a case mod? I'm using 1/4" acrylic to build a prototype... it's pretty easy to work with. Haven't decided on the final material yet, kicking around one-way mirror acrylic, though, all pointed in (infinity mirror effect) :D

My current construction project is somewhat similar; some differences are:
- the deboxed / fan-delete PSU goes on the floor in the front (where you have reservoir & front rad) on mobo standoffs
- delete optical drive
- use a dual 140mm rad over the mobo & psu as a vent/blowhole
- no reservoir, inline pump placed on floor under gpu overhang

One thing you definitely want to do is balance air inward flow & outward flow as much as possible to minimize static pressure and noise. Are you looking at a scratch build or a case mod? I'm using 1/4" acrylic to build a prototype... it's pretty easy to work with. Haven't decided on the final material yet, kicking around one-way mirror acrylic, though, all pointed in (infinity mirror effect) :D

I'm actually throwing this idea out for anyone to take. I would like to use a SG05 for my build, modded, of course. If I run out of space, it'll have to be the PC-Q08B, though, I am also open to building my own case (never done that sort of work before, though). I would probably start with cardboard and send my plans off to Mountain Mods or someone that does custom panels.

I like your ideas and would like to see them illustrated.

Back