Project: Batman Begins (completed!!!)

The only thing horrible that I think would happen to him is if he didn't finish this thing soon and a mob of angry modders shows up at his shop to stone him. Lookin awesome, can't wait to see the finished product!

Man, a couple of things I did when I first started the project are coming back around to screw with me. I've gotta redo a fan shroud now to make up for the bad design.

Oh well, live and learn. I will say one thing though, I really don't like working with sheet metal as much as I did before. It's better just to buy a large block and bore the hell out of it.

uzor said:
Sort of... In order to bend "towards" the cuts, you have to cut wedges out so you have a gap to close. That's 2x the cutting...

If he would have used a u-bar instead of a four-sided one, he could have used an inward bend without cutting a wedge. Just fold one wall inside the other.

And since you don't have to cut through the fourth wall, it would have been less cutting than the method he chose....and lighter weight, as well.

Ahhh who cares how he had to cut it, the end result is it will look awesome!

Incredible work, man!

Would you care to post a guide as to how you got that level paint finish?

HitMan-sC said:
Incredible work, man!

Would you care to post a guide as to how you got that level paint finish?

IIRC it starts with :

1 - Invest in professional paint booth
2 - Invest in professional painting equipment
3 - Apprentice with a professional painter until sufficiently skilled

Though I do recall seeing around here some time ago a poor man's rattle can alternative guide from one of the other pros that inhabit the forum. If I find it I'll post/send you the link.

::edit::

By the man himself: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=868787

Qtip42 said:
I reaaaallly doubt the steel could take such a bend w/ 1/16" walls :D

Grinding it didn't take too long. Came out decent. Needs bondo though ..bleh.... Didn't have much time today to do anything today, had to work on a 67 vette that needs paint.

that'd been no problem, well, you may have had some kinking up or puckering, but it would have bent damn it. HAHA

If anyone on here needs steel or other metal building materials let me know what sizes etc. and I can have things fabricated to order or have the raw stuff delivered. My father is a field manager for a steel company and he does some of their cad programming etc. I get stuff at cost or so. Depends on what it is, sometimes i get it for free.

Sorry about the lack of updates this last week, had a family member in the hospital so I haven't been in the shop since. Monday I will be priming the case stand and some other misc. parts.

Edit: I've also been working on a fresher look for the website too. It needs an overhaul.

Qtip42 said:
Sorry about the lack of updates this last week, had a family member in the hospital so I haven't been in the shop since. Monday I will be priming the case stand and some other misc. parts.

Edit: I've also been working on a fresher look for the website too. It needs an overhaul.

Sorry to hear about that buddy. My uncle passed away last week from a stroke. I know how those hospital visits can be harrowing.

What's the url for the site?

Stand in primer.
batman44.jpg

Qtip42 said:
You'd be amazed. You can be broke and mod still, it just takes more creativity.
I know this feeling too well. :p

The stand looks great, did you redo it with the inwards cuts? Or just grind down all the welds?
Because I cant tell the difference :D (you don't have to answer that)

Just ground down what I had. No point in starting over. Looks good enough for what it does. I didn't get pictured the mount I put up top for the case nor did I get the acrylic clading either.

It seemed plain to me so I made some red acrylic cladding for it, should be sorta cool.

I also started work on the cover of the case. The insides are pretty close to done.

This doesn't add to anything, but I've actually been to West Linn, OR (quite a feat for us East Coast guys ;) ).

kirbyrj said:
This doesn't add to anything, but I've actually been to West Linn, OR (quite a feat for us East Coast guys ;) ).

Northeast PA huh? Me too... what towns are you near?

If anyone knows of any powered speakers similar to the Swan M200's that are taller (20-30") let me know. I'm going to need some for the final pics. I'd prefer just to have the speakers showing in the final pics rather than have an amp/sub/etc too.

Just an FYI, I took the morning off to update the website finally. The project log on my site has more pics that didn't get put up here I believe. LINK

Qtip42 said:
Just an FYI, I took the morning off to update the website finally. The project log on my site has more pics that didn't get put up here I believe. LINK

What camera do you use for the photos? I have to say they're good photos of the stuff.

i'm still kind of suprise you didn't repeat the main bat logo for the base of the stand.

still, amazing work! can't wait to see the finished product!

BobbyMParr said:
hey what happend to the pictures of the making of the stand?

Sorry I had two sets of pics with the same names and I overwrote them a couple of weeks ago so I just edited the post instead of trying to find the pics again.

BobbyMParr said:
please try to find them and and post them they were VERY interesting and very good examples

AIM me, I have them somewhere but I've gotta look.

Erm, this really needs an update because the validity of it being stickied is dying away. :confused:

Volucris said:
Erm, this really needs an update because the validity of it being stickied is dying away. :confused:

Gee sorry I haven't taken pictures of any of the little stuff I am tidying up.

I've been working on the lid and making sure everything fits nicely (it's a close one) but basically all I have is a lot of parts just sitting around waiting for black paint. I'm waiting for all of it to get finished so I can paint everything at once. After that it's just piecing things together. I figured this was taking a bit too long. I'd take pictures but what's the point of taking pictures of things you've already seen?

Anyway this is a good way to keep me motivated to finish it .... ;) where'd crim's worklog go?

well not really two years..15 months is more like it :p

Hey Q c'mon man what do i gotta do?..come to that butch car shop of yours and help ya finish?

Back