Forspoken

Finished this game last night (well the main story) and I thought it was good. I enjoyed my time in it and I still like the combat. The only real annoying thing is the banter. There are definitely a few slowdowns here and there but I didn't notice it for the most part as I played. The story was kinda meh and cringy but it did explain why the world was so mainly empty at least. The world is HUGE though. I didn't see everything and there is still a lot of the map that I didn't explore.

I got it for like 73% off during Epic's winter sale + coupon and I can tell you one thing, I recommend you get it on steam if you are planning to buy it. You need to keep epic store running in the background or the game won't even launch. Lots of games on the EGS don't require this but several do and this is one of them. Now if that was the only thing I wouldn't even mention it, but for some reason as you play this game, its like it loses it's connection to the EGS client every so often. I don't know if the same happens on steam, but it definitely does on the EGS version. When it loses connection it just pauses the game and pops up a dialog box that says lost connection to EGS with an OK button. You press enter and it seems to reconnect no problem but it just interrupted the flow of your game. Funny it seems to mainly happen during battle so I am guessing its a DRM check in the battle code and it doesn't go off all the time just randomly it seems. Probably something to thwart pirates who are cracking the game but surprise it affects paying customers too *sigh*. I would bet it's part of the denuvo code they removed but thanks to denuvo's way of protecting using obfuscated code they didn't find this one and it's still in there.

There is an audio bug in the game. If you are running higher than 48khz sampling rate the sound is garbled and strange. I usually run at 24bit 96khz or higher and had to downgrade to 24bit 48khz for the sound to be normal. Along with the audio bug, if you have a Dual Sense controller you can use it to output Cuff's voice to it, but the feature is kind of useless. IIRC the PS5 demo did the same and it was a neat thing because it made it feel more like Cuff was isolated to you. On PC though there is no way to stop Cuff from coming out of the speakers or to lower his voice alone from the speaker output. Cuff is louder from the speakers than the dual sense controller so it drowns the controller speaker out. So that kind of Cuff feels like he is talking only to you feeling is not there.

There is one annoying gameplay mechanic and that is the challenge of using your skills to improve them. I like the mechanic but I hate how you can't change them but at an archive or rest area. They should let you switch them whenever you want maybe adding something like if you don't change them at an archive or rest area any progress you currently made or had made previously won't be saved/recovered.

What I like it the battle system. It reminds me of Horizon Zero Dawn in that if you know the enemy weakness it gets easier but doesn't stop you from sticking to your current style but takes a lot longer to finish it. Unlike HZD enemies don't have weak points, they have elemental weaknesses that they are vulnerable to. So till you get the element they are weak to, fights will take longer especially in the beginning. The parkour system is very forgiving along with the dodging.

Overall I like the game. Probably more than Starfield and Baldur's Gate 3, but that might be more of my preference switch from slow RPG type games to fast action oriented RPG-ish upgrade system type games.

Once I got my OLED I liked the game my LCD burned my eyes. the problem is my LG OLED is too dark for the game unless I crank up the brightness in some areas. Game is still on the backburner I think the combat is kooky but cool.

Back