Project Alplex-mini (in search of better name)

endorph1n

n00b
This is a project I started a month ago.. I just completed it.. so check it out :)

head640.jpg

back640.jpg

Theres more pics and a short worklog @ http://alplex.noip.se/

Comments, opinions, questions?
Enjoy :>

if i were you i would paint the power supply some color. also why do you have a filter on the output or is that where the air comes in.

You need to replace the wing-nuts with some sort of domed nut.
And I am curious about the filter as well.

speedracer089 said:
if i were you i would paint the power supply some color. also why do you have a filter on the output or is that where the air comes in.
Yea, the air is sucked out of the case in the front, main reason is that a filter in the front would ruin some of the looks IMHO.
I probably wouldnt have done the same In a normal case since its bigger and has lots of small holes that could ruin the airflow, but for this case its seems to be working :)

Nice little case... you might want to clean up the "X" grill on the back though... it shouldn't be too hard... just use a strait file and some sand paper... if you wanna be more 1337 you can polish it too... but that takes mucho time.

Thats pretty cool, I'm in the middle of something sorta similar myself. Your mini work log is
done very well also.

Just a few critiques though...

I would of used 3 screws per edge instead of two (two just seems odd, at least placed at 1/3
intervals) and instead of wingnuts, I would of used hex-head screws, smaller and not as easy
for somebody to unscrew while I'm at the food line of a lan. I also would try and make the X
a lot more thinner, it seems it would have better airflow, to compensate for the filter.

So how is the noise, seems to me with a fan that big for a VIA 10000 cpu could net you
big cooling performance at small noise levels.

Very [H]

I like the style, even though I'm no Lexan case fan ^_^

But I would rather glue the pannels together with Chloroform, rather than using wing nuts, except for the top

Also, I'd suggest some cable management, since it's a rather small case, and you have few cables, it would look way better to have the whole "place" clean of cables :)

that's FU#%^##^ awesome,

can you move the ATX power wires (w/extender) to go under the fan, instead of right in front of it? might clean the look abit

now its time to super size it just a hair, and stuff a SN95G5 motherboard in there , wink wink ;)

Kevin003 said:
All of a sudden everyone is making windowed cases ;)
Hell yeah Kevin. Gotta window everything now- I want to window my digital cable box for crying out loud. But the fasteners are special and Comcast wouldn't like it ;)

kuyaglen said:
Thats pretty cool, I'm in the middle of something sorta similar myself. Your mini work log is
done very well also.

Just a few critiques though...

I would of used 3 screws per edge instead of two (two just seems odd, at least placed at 1/3
intervals) and instead of wingnuts, I would of used hex-head screws, smaller and not as easy
for somebody to unscrew while I'm at the food line of a lan. I also would try and make the X
a lot more thinner, it seems it would have better airflow, to compensate for the filter.

So how is the noise, seems to me with a fan that big for a VIA 10000 cpu could net you
big cooling performance at small noise levels.

Very [H]

Im using a zalman fanmate to run the 120mm fan at the lowest RPM possible.. so theres hardly no noise at all from that fan, unfortuneley theres 3x40mm fans in the case as well (2 in PSU, 1 on CPU hs), they make some noise.. but nothing I can't stand
I might spend some time and money to buy better 40mm fans and replace the old ones but that will have to wait until christmas or something.. can't be bothered doing it now while Im at school :p

Back