Programming in Colorado?

chomsky

Limp Gawd
I guess this is the best place for a post like this. I just finished my masters (HCI, my undergrads were in CS and linguistics) and I've been debating about moving to Colorado and trying to get a decent job. Is anyone here familiar with the CS/[H]ard-type market in the Denver/Boulder area and could give me some insight to the prospects. I know Google is there but they've always seemed so paramount I don't know if I'd stand a chance at getting hired there. But in short, if I moved out there and the market is as dead there as it is in central New York, I'd be in real trouble, so any information or sources of information (aside from monster) are appreciated.

You could always consider NOVA/DC area...easiest place to get a techie job in the US :-p

We lived in the Denver area from 1998 until about 2 months ago. Tech jobs have been very scarce over the last 5 years due to the dot.com crash in 2000/1. The Denver Tech Center (where many of the tech jobs are) in the late 90's and early 00's was packed with companies, now my guess is it is about 50% full.

Unless things have drastically changed in the last 2 months, I would suggest looking elsewhere.

If you do decide to look for a job out there, check with the USGS in Golden, they usually have a few good tech jobs open, but they are very competive.

Other companies to look at are the mining and natural resource companies (Newmont Gold, CNG, etc, as that industry is flowing with money right now.)

The other industry you may find something are the govt contractors (Lockheed Martin, etc) or Medical/Insurance (Humana, Great West, Centura)

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Back