Program to use file names to add ID tags to audio files?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by mike_6289, Aug 30, 2010.

1. mike_6289

mike_6289 Limp Gawd

Over a decade ago I started ripping my CD library to wave files and manually named them like this:

01 Artist - Track.wav

eventually converting them to FLAC

I want to have them tagged, and while manually naming them during the ripping process really wasn't that inconvenient, now that I have a couple hundred albums it's impractical. Are there any programs that could be configured to do this?

2. keenan

keenan 2[H]4U

It's not exactly what you're asking for, but I use MusicBrainz Picard for tagging. Basically you dump a bunch of files into it, tell it to scan them and it identifies them and tags automagically.

3. Bahamut

Bahamut n00bie

Picard as mentioned or MediaMonkey, both will get the job done. Those apps won't help with the WAV files, of course, but once you've got the content in FLAC or whatever format you want (that supports tags, of course) they'll be just fine.

4. Nighted

Nighted Gawd

Mp3tag: filename to tag using something like this: %track% %artist% - %title%

5. BodyBagz

BodyBagz Limp Gawd

I`ll throw out another vote for MP3Tag...it is a nice piece of software.

I`ll also throw a vote for my go-to audio tagging software, Tag&Rename...I have used this for the last 5 or so years...never have to worry about tagging an album ever again for the most part. It will even pull tags from the file names and add in album artwork to the tracks/folders if you wish...:cool:

6. mike_6289

mike_6289 Limp Gawd

this worked, except I had to put an extra space after the dash to remove a space that was in front of the track title in the ID tag.

thanks!