Program to recover deleted files

Pagan Wizard

2[H]4U
I recently tried this software ( http://www.iolo.com/?source=SR4 ) to recover deleted files. I was dissapointed to find that many of the MP3 files that were recovered, were broken up into much smaller MP3's, or fragments of the original MP3. I was wondering if anyone out there knows of a better piece of software.

If the files are scattered on the drive due to fragmentation then thats how then are going to turn out when you recover them.

If the files are scattered on the drive due to fragmentation then thats how then are going to turn out when you recover them.

Thats a load of crap.

PaganWizard
Try GetDataBack. You can run the trial version to see what files it will recover. We've used it many times to recover files successfully.

Thats a load of crap.

PaganWizard
Try GetDataBack. You can run the trial version to see what files it will recover. We've used it many times to recover files successfully.

QFT. The comment from Hypernova is a load of crap, and GetDataBack is worth looking into.

Very cool!!!! I will try "GetDataBack" and let you know what my results are. Thank you all very much!!!!

Or R-Studio also. Highly recommended. If that doesn't work (and I can't imagine R-Studio or GetDataBack not working, then EasyRecovery from OnTrack Systems becomes the next best hope - and it offers the same trial version that will check on the status of files to be recovered and offer a report.

The "smaller fragments" is typically indicative of cross-linked files; that happens when you delete a file, then overwrite some portions of where it was actually stored on the platters, then you try a data recovery operation that can only find the parts that weren't overwritten. Common problem with data recovery when people delete files then continue to use the partition or drive where the files originally existed.

Hope this helps...

Just speaking from experience. Heavily fragged partitions ususally don't recover well especially when the partition table currupts.

The drive in question here was not fragged, in fact, I regularly defrag al of my HDD's whether they need it or not. What happened here was an accidental quick reformat. I was moving HDD's from one computer to another when the accident happened. I thought I grabbed a drive that was to be used as a C drive and I accidentally grabbed a larger storage drive.

EasyRecovery offers a relatively pain free way to recover files on an accidentally formatted partition, but it does require copying the data to another location so it's not just a "quick unformat" solution.

That is not really a problem for me. Between two computers I have seven internal and two external HDD's. If GetDataBack doesn't do the trick, I will give EasyRecovery a shot.

GREAT NEWS!!!!!!! GetDataBack worked PERFECTLY!!!!!!!! Not only did it recover all the files from the drive in tact, but it also recovered them in the folders that they were originally stored in. It cost $79 USD but is worth ten times that amount. Thanks to everyone who offered this suggestion.

Back