Program to locate largest files on hard drive?

melissa

n00b
I'm running low on hard drive space and I know I've got a gazillion files I could delete, but most are so small it wouldn't make much of a difference... so I'm wondering, is there a program that will do something like list all files in a certain folder including subfolders in order from largest to smallest file size?

The file search that comes with Windows should be able to do that. It could take a while though.

yea I thought about that, just do a search that would include all files, then arrange by size, but like you said it could take a while. I guess it's worth a shot if there's nothing else out there.

edit: ok, I tried the windows search and it's working better than I thought. Good old Bill pulled through for me for once. This will do!

You might also look at something like WinDirStat which can do what you want and also display all the files in a graphical format. It's free and a quick download.

Langford said:
The file search that comes with Windows should be able to do that. It could take a while though.

If you have hard drive indexing enabled (it is by default), then it should be much faster. I also recommend using the Windows search tool.

Probably the smallest and most convenient graphical application I have used for this purpose (locating the biggest files and directories), is "Scanner"

UltimaParadox said:
I second Treesize its a small program and organizes things by what takes the most space, in an easy to use simple UI

Exactly what I was going to suggest and Explorer XP which shows the file sizes for everything in a Windows Explorer view.

Back