Program to limit time spent on internet?

cuallito

Weaksauce
Hi all. My girlfriend's daughter has a problem, instead of doing her homework and other things she needs to do, she gets distracted by the internet - like for hours at a time. Is there any program I can install that will limit the amount of time she can spend on it, like 2 hours per day for example? Thanks.

Pretty sure my WRT54g has a feature that allows disabling of a port during scheduled times. If they use a router it might have some kind of QOS feature like that.

it should be in all routers...its called "schedule". It's under Tools or options in router login site.
This way you can schedule when the router will turn on and off.. allowing the user to go on the internet... just make sure she doesn't learn how to plug in the blue ethernet cable to the PC straight from the router after hahah or... learn how to log into the router login site and config stuff :rolleyes:

You can try what my parents did when I was younger, and just take out the wireless antenna. (little did they know, I still had a strong enough signal to the AP :p). Anyways, I'd just do something on a hardware level, since software can always be circumvented.

How is turning off the internet NOT parenting? He's concerned about an issue and is working to solve it. What would you rather have him do, stand over her shoulder the entire day? I see no problem in saying you can use the internet from 5pm-6pm, and then it's off and you do your homework. Shutting off access to the internet at that time sounds like a reasonable way to do it.

Isn't it the #1 rule of computers that they are not allowed in the kids bedrooms, and if your asking this for a computer that is located in a living room, etc, then I would either A lock the computer down with a password, thus not able to access without Mommy and daddy at home or B if the parent is at home then have them monitor it. I really don't understand limiting it, what in the heck is she doing on the computer for hours at a time on the internet?

Novel concept when parents actually have to parent!

Look into something like Cyber Sitter or Net Nanny. They're applications that go on her machine, and allow you to schedule time, and then allow you to override the settings and grant her more time.

Do keep in mind that if she can get to the hardware, anything you do on router can be circumvented. These software solutions are harder to get around, and I speak from experience on this! Just make sure that her account is a standard user account, not admin. Also, if she has a computer in her room, consider moving it to a public area.

Back