Program to input data?

CopyCat

Supreme [H]ardness
I know this may sound confusing, but I will try to explain my issue as best I can.

I know Excel very well and have used it for a very long time. Recently I created a spreadsheet with several tabs/sections in order to input sales information for a company like dates, names and a list of items that were being sold and their total cost.

All of this information was being pulled from lists created by hand elsewhere in the file.
-----------------------

My Question is this. I don't want to manually manage and edit excel spreadsheets for this type of function anymore. Is there an easy way or program that can help me create a GUI interface that will allow employees to input all this information and then pull it when needed to fill out forms? It sounds like something you would need to create an entire program for but I was hoping not.

Im not sure if there is an answer, but I know you guys know a lot and might be able to help :) Cheers

just at quick glance, it looks like you would want to create a database with a front end and ability to pull reports. Now you could do an access database or sql, just depends on how much work you would want to do. Just a thought.

just at quick glance, it looks like you would want to create a database with a front end and ability to pull reports. Now you could do an access database or sql, just depends on how much work you would want to do. Just a thought.

+1. SQL would be perfect for this. MS Access is a good place to start, but once you get moving you might want to move onto more powerful software, like FileMaker, or just learn hardcore SQL. But ThatDood is definitely pointing you in the right direction.

Thirded, MS Access is the perfect tool.
There are wizards for setting up many types of Database built in so its easy to get started.
Once created, you can manually change the Forms (pages where you enter/display data) so they are to your liking.

I was actually thinking Access myself :) I know SQL might be better in the longer term but I was hoping something I could pick up a book on and learn fairly quickly for now.

Any recommendations on text to get me started? :) Thanks guys!

Back