program to drain batterys?

Canon20d

Weaksauce
I have a dell i8600 and the battery managment stinks
between like 15% and 2% i have about 10 minutes, and from 15-100 i get about 2 hours, my old ibm was better, would at least last to 0, usually sit at 0 for a while, and although thats not better id like a medium
Is there a program that will run off the CD to just run the proccessor, and CD to drain the battery fully without letting windows crash every time to drain it? I dont have a bios only CD player, i was thinking a windows install or something like that but i dont want it to Do anything, just run the program to spin the cd even, if that fails, who cares
Anything like that out there??
Thanks!

Ah, yes, this would work, boot from DVD and then play CD till it dies- and as a bonus i get to see how well linux would work on here :)
Thx

Yeah, live CD isn't actually a half bad idea.

If nothing else, just run folding@home (set at like 85% of max CPU power, don't want to kill the poor laptop) and play an audio CD on repeat at the same time.

Doesn't a live CD just put everything to memory, and not run all the time?

Play a music CD, and set it to repeat.

You could also plug in a couple of USB powered lights.

Do some video encoding, that will keep your processor and hard drive busy.

You could burn a CD of the ultimate boot CD, theres an app on there to test the CPU, or run something like memtest that would drain it fast.

The Li-Ion battery in your 8600 doesn't have a memory effect. The battery has an IC in it to report to the system the amount of charge left.

An 8600 vintage Li-Ion battery lasts around 350 cycles and you may want to check the health of it with Centrino Hardware Control after you've fully charged it. It's possible one or more cells in the battery pack is dying, and your symptom seems to support that.

wear level is 0 so i dunno, i just think that the battery isnt really getting that the low voltage is a lot lower than it needs so it goes to ~15% fine, then drops in like 3 minutes from there
I discharged it with Hot CPU and then just let it do some random stuff till it turned off, now im letting it charge over night.. should be better in a cycle or 2 when it figures out how much it really has left :)

what your seeing is a sign that one of the cells in the batt is just starting to go bad
as the cell gets to the lower powerstate it is shutting down and the voltage drops which is causing the sudden shift

draining it completely and recharging it 2-3 times will probobly help a little
what you will find is that once it drops down to 0% the machine will continue to run, probobly for another 10min+

when your doing the battery draining you want to do it as slowly as possible to maximise the regeneration effects. so you want to set it up for max battery time by turning the screenlight down/off etc...

you can get a NIB batt off of ebay for about $50 for the machine if the problem gets worse

Back