Program to copy programs and data from old machine to new? Urgent!

marley1

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys -

I'm looking for a program that can copy data and programs from an old harddrive to a new machine. Both have Windows XP. New machine has nothing on it but windows.

This old machine has all these accounting programs that are a real bitch to install. So i need a program that can copy the data and programs and restore them onto the new machine. I dont care if i have to reload/repair windows. Just want to save myself the 10 hours of reinstalling all these damn programs.

Thanks,
Dan

Unless your ready to shell out some major cash, your not going to find an app that can magically take programs from one computer and put them on another.

There is another option:

Use ghost to clone the "old" HDD to the "new" computer's HDD and run a repair install on the new computer. You may need to work out driver issues, but it is as close as your going to get on the cheap.

Otherwise your stuck reinstalling apps on the new machine and moving data over.

SJConsultant said:
Unless your ready to shell out some major cash, your not going to find an app that can magically take programs from one computer and put them on another.

There is another option:

Use ghost to clone the "old" HDD to the "new" computer's HDD and run a repair install on the new computer. You may need to work out driver issues, but it is as close as your going to get on the cheap.

Otherwise your stuck reinstalling apps on the new machine and moving data over.

If we did have the money, what would you recommen?

I'm looking at the Winternals Recovery Pro software which can do Bare Metal Restore as well as a Symantec product but time is of the essence.

marley1 said:
If we did have the money, what would you recommen?

I'm looking at the Winternals Recovery Pro software which can do Bare Metal Restore as well as a Symantec product but time is of the essence.

I personally couldn't recommend any of the software packages seeing as I don't have any hands on experience with them.

Why not just Ghost from the old HDD to the new and do a repair install?

Back