Program to backup/restore XP drive image?

agentzero9

2[H]4U
What is the simplest, cheapest way to make an image of my system after a fresh XP install.

Bascially I like to reinstall XP every 3-6 months but the obvious pain is reinstalling ALL of the drivers and ALL of the programs.

I would like to make a DVD image of my system that automates the entire installation of XP, Office, Firefox, NVidia drivers etc. etc. etc.

I do not care about data (Documents/Pictures/Music) at all, just the programs and drivers for all the hardware.

What is the best way to do this, Norton Ghost? Is there a freeware alternative?

I've used Ghost but I recently switched to Acronis TrueImage and I like it a lot better.. so that's what I recommend.

Not sure about free programs. I know there are disk clone tools on Ultimate Boot CD but I have never used them.

Acronis TrueImage was giving out their version 7 for free a few months ago.. not sure if they're still doing it now. It was posted in Free Stuff.

I use it, and it works well enough. You might be able to use their trial version. Not sure on the limitations on it, though.

+1 for Acronis True Image. Trial version doesn't allow restores.

Latest version of Corporate Workstation (and Server) has an additional option "Universal Restore" that strips out drivers etc and allows for pretty big hardware switches. I've used it to move image from a P4 to an AMD X64, from a no-name laptop to a Compaq, from Compaq laptop to an HP.

+1 again for TrueHome. I used 10.0 and it's great.

You can recover from CD/DVD, local hard drive file or from network.

Thanks I think I'll get TrueImage after looking into the UltimateBootCD which I already have on a disc somewhere...

Back