Program that keeps own record of NTFS security permissions for mass re-application?

Cerulean

[H]F Junkie
Greetings,

Is there a program out there that keeps record a database of its own on NTFS security permissions? Recently in quick bandage we had to move our fileserver files (containing all departmental folders, a globally accessible folder, and a folder accessible only to each division) to another server... entirely losing NTFS permissions in the process :eek:

It would be handy to have a program that would have kept a 'profile' of what NTFS permissions are supposed to be for any folder touched beyond defaults), and just point this program at the new location and have it go through doing the hard work and re-apply several hundred unique permissions). :(

I'm not sure I've ever seen a program that does what you're looking for, but then again I've never looked.... I do know that you can use powershell to export permissions, set permissions and with just a few lines of script, copy them (see the get-acl and set-acl commandlets). You should be able to export the results of get-acl for later reuse or analysis if you wish too...

Aside from that, maybe more important... Next time you need to copy files and want to retain the permissions, use robocopy. (Native command in 2008 and later, previous to that you had to get it from the resource kit...) It will allow you to copy all the files and directories and keep all their permissions, timestamps, etc... The command line help is extensive, and there are a lot of options... Read the help and let me know if you have any questions...

Back