Progam Install Problems - Linux (SuSe9)

hellomcfly

Limp Gawd
well im am trying to install afew things on my linux box. and this is a new world to me coming from windows .. im used to just clicking the exec and selecting a directory and that was the end of it .. now i really dont know what to do.

im trying to install
- TeamSpeak - which is a tar.bz2
- DivX Codec - which is a tar.gz

if anyone has any guides or rule of thumbs about how to install the different packages that would be great

ok. i'm downloading the files to see how each installs. both are in a format similar to .zip or .rar
for teh .bz2, in a terminal, run tar -xvjf filename.tar.bz2
for the .gz, in a terminal, run tar -xvzf filename.tar.gz

be back after i've looked at em more closely.
usually, after running tar a directory will be created.
cd into that directory
ls (list files)
less README or whatever - this usually tells you how to install
if it's a source that needs to be compiled, usually, ./configure;make;make install will do the trick (as root).

for divx. untar it. cd divx*. be sure you are root. if not, type su <ENTER> (enter password at prompt) - then run "sh install.sh"
for teamspeak....ewwwwwww....it looks like windows...ewwwww. lol. anway, untar it. cd ts2*. be sure you are root. run "sh setup.sh" (make sure you have x window system open - chances are you do, it's suse. if you have graphical interface, you do)

If you're intimidated by using the command line to extract files (at first you might be), you can use your gui file manager to do it. All you haev to do is probably double click it and some compression program will come up. But you instlal most programs via
./configure
make && make install

when i untar the teamspeak there are no files inside .. and with the divx it is not working lol i must be doing it wrong

alright there is a suse 9 rpm for the divx
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/846833/com/divx4linux-20030428-0.pm.0.i386.rpm.html
(divx here is a closed source binary, which isn't very common - it installs everything to /usr/local/{bin,lib,share} where suse probably looks in /usr/{bin,lib,share})

as for teamspeak. does it output an error? on some versions of tar you need tar -xvyf filename.tar.bz2 for it to work. unless we're not talking about the same file...ts2_client_rc2_2032.tar.bz2?
it should create a directory called ts2_client_rc2_203 with "readme setup.data setup.sh" inside of it

Back