Prog to rename a whole folder of pictures ?

The-One

Gawd
I never needed one until now but what do you guys use to rename a lot of pictures at once ?

thanks

You can do this with a bunch of different programs. I googled "batch renaming files" and came up with this.

Are they files in a single folder, or a whole tree of folders with files in each under a folder?

If it is all in one folder, you could actually select all the files you wanted to rename (common name only), choose to rename them, type in something like mypicture.extension, and explorer would then rename every file in succession like mypicture (1).extension, mypicture (2).extension.

If that is a little too crude for your tastes, may I suggest software like xnview [xnview.com] or irfanview [irfanview.com] which have batch renaming capabilities. Additionally, you could also write a batch script or some script in a language of your choice to do it.

If you're just going to rename them sequentially (Vacation (01), Vacation (02), etc) then you don't need any software. Just select the group of pictures, right click, rename and XP/Vista will rename the group adding the numbers for you.

I wish Vista or XP wouldn't add the (1), (2) to the pictures. Why can't they just make it pic1, pic2 instead of pic(1), pic(2). Bugs the heck out of me.

Back