Professional Fortnite Players Resurrect the 4:3 Resolution for a Competitive Edge

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Professional Fortnite players will look for every competitive advantage that they can use to win tournaments when the stakes are over $8 Million. The new trend is to use a 4:3 resolution to supposedly make hitboxes larger like in CS:GO. So when you watch competitive tournaments expect to see hideous graphics as the screen is squashed and the character models are stretched to give players the competitive edge that they seek. Some say that the increased vertical also gives you the same horizontal view. I think the next step is to start using the 320x200 resolution like Doom used for a competitive disadvantage.

Why are players doing it? Because it's an old trick that works in other shooters like CS:GO, where if you stretch the resolution, it stretches each individual character model as well. Stretch the character models, and you stretch the hitboxes, allowing you a larger target to shoot. This is supposed to give a competitive advantage, which is why you see a lot of streamers doing it.

seriously... Pro players are basically trying to hit the side of a barn at that point!

1JFqc.jpg

Lame.

I've heard about this for some time. I forget which game I originalet heard about it in.

As much as I hate consoles, the one benefit they do have is that all players see the same thing on screen, and there are no kiddies trying to gain advantage using various tricks.

Yes, competitive players will do anything they think gives them an advantage. That's part of being competitive.

This includes running the best hardware they can while using wonky and/or reduced settings to maximize their edge. Just like any kind of racing, teams will use any loophole or loose interpretation they can get away with if it gives them an edge.

It's not how I'll be using my hardware, but to each their own. It takes all kinds.

Just get off my damn lawn.

Playing fir fun running normal graphics set to MAX.

Competition *turns hat backwards* load min scripts and prepare for minecraft (insert title here)

Well it doesn't suprise me, competitive gaming and this is usually only a handful of people that goes this far, each one to their own, play for fun or play for win.

I'm still waiting for the LOD bias abuse like was common in competitive UT:

+ the gummibear bright skin option, then competitive gamers will thrive!
75.jpg

I think at some point you need to start limit "how bad things can look" for balancing reasons. Now Fortnite and PUGB for example doesn't have a lot of special effects like UT did to worsen the visual clarity a great deal which most ppl started turning off anyway.

I'm not sure I understand the intent here.

If you want a bigger vertical hitbox then get a monitor that is just as tall in 16:9 as 4:3.

If you want a wider hit box box, hack the resolution or just a narrower fov

Seems to me you would want a wider hitbox as characters are taller than wide. That would give you a more square area.

Going back to quake people have been using very low lod to get an advantage. And I think it is cheating. As soon as winning becomes more important than playing it is no longer a game. And if it is not a game, then it looses its main purpose.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand the intent here.

If you want a bigger vertical hitbox then get a monitor that is just as tall in 16:9 as 4:3.

If you want a wider hit box box, hack the resolution or just a narrower fov

Seems to me you would want a wider hitbox as characters are taller than wide. That would give you a more square area.
Yeah. Plus if you increase the area of the screen, doesn't the mouse take longer to traverse it (all other things being equal)?

I'll take their word for it that this is an advantage. Maybe it's like pro athletics where any fractional edge helps.

I play a lot of R6 Siege and 4:3 is very popular. I am still at 16:9.

4:3 with a low FoV allows a player to use a low zoom sight much easier at a distance. I won't use it because I am patiently waiting for 4k144hz and sitting an inch from the monitor. :confused:

And this is supposed to become a "spectator sport" ?

No thanks, I'll go back to my 27" 1440p IPS & play some beautiful game by myself (1070 SLI), rather than watch "pro" players try to shoot each other and gain an advantage by trying to scale down to Atari 2600 graphics.

Last edited:
I love the 4:3 ratio on my Surface Book. I have never been a fan of the whole wide screen thing. My old ass eyes have a hard enough time keeping things in focus in front of me, let alone my peripheral vision.

Why stop at 4:3? 5:4 is even narrower, and was a common resolution back in the day (1280x1024). Hell, inverse the aspect ratio and go for 9:16 if you're that desperate. For fuck's sake, these people are pathetic.
Well it doesn't suprise me, competitive gaming and this is usually only a handful of people that goes this far, each one to their own, play for fun or play for win.

I'm still waiting for the LOD bias abuse like was common in competitive UT:

+ the gummibear bright skin option, then competitive gamers will thrive!
View attachment 93692

I think at some point you need to start limit "how bad things can look" for balancing reasons. Now Fortnite and PUGB for example doesn't have a lot of special effects like UT did to worsen the visual clarity a great deal which most ppl started turning off anyway.
Extreme positive LOD bias has long been detected as a cheat in games that have cheat protection.

As everyone notes, this has been happening for a long time. I'm too Prefontaine to do cheap shit like this. Personally, fuck sports and e-sports because almost all the bastards cheat or exploit these days. Not much of the Lou Gehrig or Deepika Kumari players left anymore. Shit, I still recall how I had to run a mutation on the UT server because asshats would take all sounds out except for one so as to only hear foot steps in the ini. So, many left after getting their asses kicked........loved it. Also, loved the wait BRB gotta "fix" something....whatever.

I think they need competitive settings in which are the standards that you have to play by and cannot be changed. Any detection of changes, modifications, or cheats instant ban from the event. Repeat offense one more time and then ban for all e-sports for life. If you don't like it, then fuck off. You need to test the true mettle.

Is that... a desk case? Is it yours? If so, which one do you have? I've been pondering the idea of adding one myself...

Regarding Fortnite, things are rather getting out of hand. Especially given the popularity and other features of the title it seems like there should be some standardization on things like this so that there's no exploiting low settings LOD or resolutions/rendering.

Is that... a desk case? Is it yours? If so, which one do you have? I've been pondering the idea of adding one myself...

Regarding Fortnite, things are rather getting out of hand. Especially given the popularity and other features of the title it seems like there should be some standardization on things like this so that there's no exploiting low settings LOD or resolutions/rendering.

It is not mine. It is LG press material of what I believe to be 3 x 3840 x 1600 ultrawides with a .10 vertical aspect. If they are then that's 18,432,000 pixels.. you gonna need a serious card to run these, like a Nvidia 1030 at least :wtf:

if you want an easy ( but expensive ) way into PC desk cases there is always the: lian li DK-03x , although i don't personally find glass tops comfortable.

Wonder which monitor manufacturer will be first to make a monitor with a 4:3 native resolution and slap a "Pro Gamer Edition" on it for an extra couple hundred. Shit like this is why I prefer playing offline with good AI and a good story.

My favorite is every now and then in CS, someone in a pro match would fail to spot someone because they were using a 4:3 aspect ratio. Happened a few times.

Also anyone doing this is retarded, honestly. I get the logic, but I feel like this shit is more an old wives tale than anything at this point.

Going back to quake people have been using very low lod to get an advantage. And I think it is cheating. As soon as winning becomes more important than playing it is no longer a game. And if it is not a game, then it looses its main purpose.

There's a reason in Quake (3 and onwards) geometry LOD. On anything but the lowest, curved surfaces do not match the actual collision of the surface. Textures are another story and once mods with bright skins and what not started becoming a thing, it didn't really matter as much but still it was ultimately less visual noise.

There's a reason in Quake (3 and onwards) geometry LOD. On anything but the lowest, curved surfaces do not match the actual collision of the surface. Textures are another story and once mods with bright skins and what not started becoming a thing, it didn't really matter as much but still it was ultimately less visual noise.
Good luck trying to convince me that the difference between curved surfaces and their collision boxes is the real reason they tried to make the game look like pong. If you used the physics excuse I'd have budged.

You're kidding right, that it didn't matter? In Q1 it was infinitely easier to see the other players from a distance if the lod was minimal. That visual noise is the actual game! That's what I mean loosing it's purpose. A videogame has one purpose: Entertainment. That's why "professional gamer", makes about as much sense as "professional movie watcher" It's not a profession.

Some games lock this sort of stuff down and imo if it's to be taken seriously it should be

Since when did lowering the FOV increase the size of hitboxes? Seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding of how aspect ratios work. Yes, using 4:3 will make a player model appear wider when the screen is stretched, but you also have to maneuver through a larger physical area to make up for that. 4:3 is also disadvantaged when considering peripheral vision.

There are a lot of CSGO pros that will admit using 4:3 is a force of habit at this point, and they'd start all over with 16:9 if they could.

Not sure why anyone would think this will impact the spectator aspect of the game either. The stream you're watching is not being upstreamed for any of the players monitors. All of that is done on the production side.

As someone else pointed out, you can start to see the disadvantages of using 4:3 when watching these matches being streamed using 16:9.

This will be banned from competition fairly quickly. Anything that ruins viewer experience tends to be gone from esports fairly fast.

I didn't realize 4:3 ever died for comp playing and just assumed a lot of people still did it. It gives me a headache whenever I tried it out on a friend's setup.

There are some UT2k4 players that do the opposite of this. Increase the FOV to absurd levels. Super fish eye. I drew it out on paper once and if the engine doesn't compensate for it, it will push objects closer to the front plane. If it comes down to a who shot who first round off error, the higher FOV will come out on top.

Back