Professional Fortnite Players Resurrect the 4:3 Resolution for a Competitive Edge

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by cageymaru, Aug 2, 2018.

1. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard as it Gets

Professional Fortnite players will look for every competitive advantage that they can use to win tournaments when the stakes are over $8 Million. The new trend is to use a 4:3 resolution to supposedly make hitboxes larger like in CS:GO. So when you watch competitive tournaments expect to see hideous graphics as the screen is squashed and the character models are stretched to give players the competitive edge that they seek. Some say that the increased vertical also gives you the same horizontal view. I think the next step is to start using the 320x200 resolution like Doom used for a competitive disadvantage.

Why are players doing it? Because it's an old trick that works in other shooters like CS:GO, where if you stretch the resolution, it stretches each individual character model as well. Stretch the character models, and you stretch the hitboxes, allowing you a larger target to shoot. This is supposed to give a competitive advantage, which is why you see a lot of streamers doing it.

2. Compddd

Compddd [H]ard|Gawd

Interesting story, keep us posted!

3. Axehandler

Axehandler Gawd

seriously... Pro players are basically trying to hit the side of a barn at that point!

1JFqc.jpg

stefan231 likes this.
  4. Maxx

Maxx [H]ard|Gawd

More like...

RanceJustice likes this.
  5. umeng2002

umeng2002 Gawd

[rolls eyes]

MacLeod and Armenius like this.
  6. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

Lame.

I've heard about this for some time. I forget which game I originalet heard about it in.

As much as I hate consoles, the one benefit they do have is that all players see the same thing on screen, and there are no kiddies trying to gain advantage using various tricks.

7. greenman

greenman Gawd

They just gotta "get gud"

Armenius and JDanser like this.
  8. Full Otto

Full Otto [H]Lite

Yes, competitive players will do anything they think gives them an advantage. That's part of being competitive.

This includes running the best hardware they can while using wonky and/or reduced settings to maximize their edge. Just like any kind of racing, teams will use any loophole or loose interpretation they can get away with if it gives them an edge.

It's not how I'll be using my hardware, but to each their own. It takes all kinds.

Just get off my damn lawn.

Tactlesss and travanx like this.
  9. viper1152012

viper1152012 [H]ard|Gawd

Playing fir fun running normal graphics set to MAX.

Competition *turns hat backwards* load min scripts and prepare for minecraft (insert title here)

Tactlesss likes this.
  10. JDanser

JDanser Limp Gawd

...Scrubs.

11. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger [H]ard as it Gets

Nonfactors!

12. RPGWiZaRD

RPGWiZaRD Gawd

Well it doesn't suprise me, competitive gaming and this is usually only a handful of people that goes this far, each one to their own, play for fun or play for win.

I'm still waiting for the LOD bias abuse like was common in competitive UT:

+ the gummibear bright skin option, then competitive gamers will thrive!
    75.jpg

I think at some point you need to start limit "how bad things can look" for balancing reasons. Now Fortnite and PUGB for example doesn't have a lot of special effects like UT did to worsen the visual clarity a great deal which most ppl started turning off anyway.

N4CR, Tactlesss and auntjemima like this.
  13. I'm not sure I understand the intent here.

If you want a bigger vertical hitbox then get a monitor that is just as tall in 16:9 as 4:3.

If you want a wider hit box box, hack the resolution or just a narrower fov

Seems to me you would want a wider hitbox as characters are taller than wide. That would give you a more square area.

14. elavanis

elavanis n00b

And here I thought everyone said wide screen monitors gave the advantage because you had a wider field of view...

15. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

Going back to quake people have been using very low lod to get an advantage. And I think it is cheating. As soon as winning becomes more important than playing it is no longer a game. And if it is not a game, then it looses its main purpose.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  16. deton8

deton8 Limp Gawd

Yeah. Plus if you increase the area of the screen, doesn't the mouse take longer to traverse it (all other things being equal)?

I'll take their word for it that this is an advantage. Maybe it's like pro athletics where any fractional edge helps.

17. Shadowed

Shadowed Limp Gawd

I play a lot of R6 Siege and 4:3 is very popular. I am still at 16:9.

4:3 with a low FoV allows a player to use a low zoom sight much easier at a distance. I won't use it because I am patiently waiting for 4k144hz and sitting an inch from the monitor. :confused:

18. /dev/null

/dev/null [H]ardForum Junkie

And this is supposed to become a "spectator sport" ?

No thanks, I'll go back to my 27" 1440p IPS & play some beautiful game by myself (1070 SLI), rather than watch "pro" players try to shoot each other and gain an advantage by trying to scale down to Atari 2600 graphics.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    Maddness, N4CR, Tactlesss and 7 others like this.
  19. Drakeniir

Drakeniir [H]Lite

Noobs, pros use ASCII mode.

GoldenTiger and dvsman like this.
  20. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

21. Nukester

Nukester [H]ard|Gawd

I love the 4:3 ratio on my Surface Book. I have never been a fan of the whole wide screen thing. My old ass eyes have a hard enough time keeping things in focus in front of me, let alone my peripheral vision.

22. TheHig

TheHig Limp Gawd

Why not go all in and run 4:3 on a CRT and have almost no latency as well. :D

Also this is why I don’t play competitive titles anymore. Games are a way to escape and relax these days and not obsess over stats etc.

23. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

Why stop at 4:3? 5:4 is even narrower, and was a common resolution back in the day (1280x1024). Hell, inverse the aspect ratio and go for 9:16 if you're that desperate. For fuck's sake, these people are pathetic.
    Extreme positive LOD bias has long been detected as a cheat in games that have cheat protection.

24. viscountalpha

viscountalpha 2[H]4U

People playing like this should get banned or barred from tournament settings.

25. Shadowed

Shadowed Limp Gawd

I think we need more 16:10 144hz displays.

26. Shikami

Shikami Gawd

As everyone notes, this has been happening for a long time. I'm too Prefontaine to do cheap shit like this. Personally, fuck sports and e-sports because almost all the bastards cheat or exploit these days. Not much of the Lou Gehrig or Deepika Kumari players left anymore. Shit, I still recall how I had to run a mutation on the UT server because asshats would take all sounds out except for one so as to only hear foot steps in the ini. So, many left after getting their asses kicked........loved it. Also, loved the wait BRB gotta "fix" something....whatever.

I think they need competitive settings in which are the standards that you have to play by and cannot be changed. Any detection of changes, modifications, or cheats instant ban from the event. Repeat offense one more time and then ban for all e-sports for life. If you don't like it, then fuck off. You need to test the true mettle.

27. Pantalaimon

Pantalaimon Limp Gawd

Shouldn't they standardize some of these stuff?

gtrguy and ZeqOBpf6 like this.
  28. GNUse_the_force

GNUse_the_force Limp Gawd

Nothing less than tripple ultrawide will do

MNT_SBCT_02_M01A_219UW.jpg

Burticus, GoldenTiger, Rahh and 6 others like this.
  29. RanceJustice

RanceJustice [H]ardness Supreme

Is that... a desk case? Is it yours? If so, which one do you have? I've been pondering the idea of adding one myself...

Regarding Fortnite, things are rather getting out of hand. Especially given the popularity and other features of the title it seems like there should be some standardization on things like this so that there's no exploiting low settings LOD or resolutions/rendering.

30. GNUse_the_force

GNUse_the_force Limp Gawd

It is not mine. It is LG press material of what I believe to be 3 x 3840 x 1600 ultrawides with a .10 vertical aspect. If they are then that's 18,432,000 pixels.. you gonna need a serious card to run these, like a Nvidia 1030 at least :wtf:

if you want an easy ( but expensive ) way into PC desk cases there is always the: lian li DK-03x , although i don't personally find glass tops comfortable.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  31. PantherBlitz

PantherBlitz Limp Gawd

Innovations like this is why parents are hiring Fortnite coaches. :)

32. Simmonz

Simmonz 2[H]4U

Wonder which monitor manufacturer will be first to make a monitor with a 4:3 native resolution and slap a "Pro Gamer Edition" on it for an extra couple hundred. Shit like this is why I prefer playing offline with good AI and a good story.

N4CR, schlitzbull, gtrguy and 2 others like this.
  33. socK

socK 2[H]4U

My favorite is every now and then in CS, someone in a pro match would fail to spot someone because they were using a 4:3 aspect ratio. Happened a few times.

Also anyone doing this is retarded, honestly. I get the logic, but I feel like this shit is more an old wives tale than anything at this point.

There's a reason in Quake (3 and onwards) geometry LOD. On anything but the lowest, curved surfaces do not match the actual collision of the surface. Textures are another story and once mods with bright skins and what not started becoming a thing, it didn't really matter as much but still it was ultimately less visual noise.

Armenius and MrTryfe like this.
  34. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

Good luck trying to convince me that the difference between curved surfaces and their collision boxes is the real reason they tried to make the game look like pong. If you used the physics excuse I'd have budged.

You're kidding right, that it didn't matter? In Q1 it was infinitely easier to see the other players from a distance if the lod was minimal. That visual noise is the actual game! That's what I mean loosing it's purpose. A videogame has one purpose: Entertainment. That's why "professional gamer", makes about as much sense as "professional movie watcher" It's not a profession.

N4CR, /dev/null and Armenius like this.
  35. wgm3446

wgm3446 Gawd

36. ZeqOBpf6

ZeqOBpf6 Gawd

Some games lock this sort of stuff down and imo if it's to be taken seriously it should be

37. MrTryfe

MrTryfe Limp Gawd

Since when did lowering the FOV increase the size of hitboxes? Seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding of how aspect ratios work. Yes, using 4:3 will make a player model appear wider when the screen is stretched, but you also have to maneuver through a larger physical area to make up for that. 4:3 is also disadvantaged when considering peripheral vision.

There are a lot of CSGO pros that will admit using 4:3 is a force of habit at this point, and they'd start all over with 16:9 if they could.

Not sure why anyone would think this will impact the spectator aspect of the game either. The stream you're watching is not being upstreamed for any of the players monitors. All of that is done on the production side.

As someone else pointed out, you can start to see the disadvantages of using 4:3 when watching these matches being streamed using 16:9.

Armenius and Shadowed like this.
  38. Dekoth-E-

Dekoth-E- [H]ardness Supreme

This will be banned from competition fairly quickly. Anything that ruins viewer experience tends to be gone from esports fairly fast.

39. Tbird87

Tbird87 Gawd

I didn't realize 4:3 ever died for comp playing and just assumed a lot of people still did it. It gives me a headache whenever I tried it out on a friend's setup.

40. schmide

schmide Limp Gawd

There are some UT2k4 players that do the opposite of this. Increase the FOV to absurd levels. Super fish eye. I drew it out on paper once and if the engine doesn't compensate for it, it will push objects closer to the front plane. If it comes down to a who shot who first round off error, the higher FOV will come out on top.