Producer: Titanfall 'Really Tough To Market'

developers shouldn't worry about it because people are always looking for something to hate about a game...looking for flaws versus appreciating the innovation is the norm nowadays

Criticism does not equal hate--it's not even close. Criticism is how prospective customers tell a company how it can improve its products enough to make them desirable. It doesn't seem to me that simply falling in line like a "sheeple" and accepting that something is "innovative" simply because a company *says* it is innovative could ever be very much fun.

If something really is innovative then people will discover it and if they like it they'll heap praises upon it. No need to ever worry about that. If they don't like it--well, why should they sit there slack-jawed and pretend to like something when they don't? When a game is truly innovative and fun the company won't have to market that--the game will sell itself. That's how it works with any truly good product--it sells itself in the end more effectively than anything else can sell it.

Funny that all modern AI in games really comes from mods that people made. I think Reaper bot really kicked it off.
Reaper bot... Crap I Haven't heard that in ages. I remember using Reaper bot for training when my parents needed to use the phone... damn dialup sucked

Well, and sometimes I would personally rather face a challenging (if not totally "human"-like) AI than play online with a bunch of random assholes who spawn-camp you and then call you a faggot.

No open beta test, no demo, kind of difficult to sell a game to people who aren't sure about the product, when all they have seen is the same damn clips from E3, and recent DLC exclusive previews.

Well, and sometimes I would personally rather face a challenging (if not totally "human"-like) AI than play online with a bunch of random assholes who spawn-camp you and then call you a faggot.

Some bots will call you a fag too.

Back in the day I used to love watching the newbs talk to the bots in Unreal Tournament.

bots suck period. Uninterested. I wouldnt play BF3/4 if 5 out of the 64 players on a server were bots even.

If you honestly think the AI in that list of games actually does provide the same level of challenge one would would experience playing against human players, than I am not sure what to say to you.

"Sorry for being ignorant" would suffice.

have you people who are hating on the 6v6 cap even watched gameply yet? the game is centered around earning, controlling, and destroying titans. there are only a few titans on a map at a time because otherwise it would just be a titanfest with a bunch of idiots running around on foot dying while only the people in titans have any fun. having more on foot than in titans keeps it balanced by having a bunch of fast small guys taking on big slow dudes. the ENTIRE purpose of this game and what makes it interesting and hopefully fun is that you can be either this puny human, or (more rarely) a big mech who is not only super powerful, but also slower and a target. the dynamic requires many humans and a small number of titans. so now imagine that you get a 32v32 game going with 6 titans at any one time. no one will ever get a mech and they will all complain and trash the game for not being fun and letting them have a titan all the time. but if they did that it would just be mechwarrior, completely defeating the point of the game with this awesome human/human, mech/mech, mech/human combat dynamic.

kind of rambling, but basically stop and think about it and it makes sense. this is a completely new dynamic, which is what players are always saying they want in this stagnant FPS climate. the devs have said that they tried it with varying numbers of players and 6v6 was what worked out the best. i am willing to trust the people who know this game the best and have actually played it over my own opinion of what a game "should" be.

I talked to them because if their witty remarks, some were pretty funny.

UScript mods that made the bots actually "chat" wasn't the norm. I'm not talking about the games built in Taunts. I did that myself, not so much to the bots per se but in response to a taunt I would hear from an opponent be it a bot or a human player. It was a natural thing for me to hit my keybind taunts. :eek: I think I abused them sometimes. :D

Games need to stop preordering shitty games supporting terrible developers/publishers. wait till the game is out and look at all the reviews. They do this for a reason, to generate sales prior to the release. No one even knows how 6v6 will work out.
Too many shitty games are being released, and its because of above reasons. Dont support shit companies, like EA...

Plenty of people on here sure seem to think they know how it will work out... :p

heh yep. i think this game will turn out awesome, but im still not preordering it. not under any circumstances. i will wait til its $10 (maybe $15 if it gets great reviews.)

I never preorder a game i don't get the point it's ususally not difficult to find a game upon release. Maybe they have okay extra stuff but eh.

6 vs 6? Fail.... All media is BS until it gets in the hands of gamers and I think it will hit with a resounding THUD.

Just my $.02

The gameplay videos I've seen imply the maps are small. That was one of my biggest beefs with the CoD series, (and certain maps/design decisions in BF3). Whats the point of a mech if you're in a tiny arena?

The first trailers implied you'd be fighting a war, in a city, going long distances, through buildings, with insanity all around.

The quote makes me a tad concerned (if I was planning a MP only game).

Doesn't that seriously skewer the game towards older players / people who spend the most time on the game to earn more powerful Titans? I hate to be a newer player with a Pinto Titan going up against Humvee Titans.

That isn't much different than a lot of other FPS games now. The people playing longer get better weapons. Sure you would start off with a shit titan yourself but if the teams are well balanced then you end up getting both sides have good and bad titans. your teams can still win and you level up to be able to get the better stuff.

Don't know if you guys saw that you can also get out of your titan and have it controlled by AI? So in addition to 6v6 there could be several AI controlled mechs running around at the same time.

Plenty of people on here sure seem to think they know how it will work out... :p

At least some of them are educated guesses. It may turn out awesome, but from experience, small map and small playercount FPS games tend to die out quickly unless they are console games like Halo.

"Sorry for being ignorant" would suffice.

Or sorry for having a difference in opinion? You think AI bots are the same as playing human players, I think they are not. Its really quite simple, or are you ignorant?

Or sorry for having a difference in opinion? You think AI bots are the same as playing human players, I think they are not. Its really quite simple, or are you ignorant?

In the link earlier, the bots were indistinguishable from human players. Will the bots be that good in Titanfall? Probably not, but maybe.

In the link earlier, the bots were indistinguishable from human players. Will the bots be that good in Titanfall? Probably not, but maybe.

Yep, 2 specific bots created by a modding team. So good AI bots are possible, but that doesnt change anything about the history of gaming and that AI bots have never really provided the same level of challenge and experience as playing a MP game. Which is the context in which my statement that started the argument was made.

Sure, its possible the AI bots in Titanfall will be really good, who knows. It would certainly be impressive to see quality AI bots become the norm. But if that was the norm as others here are arguing, like I have asked before, why are MP games so popular and unique?

Yep, 2 specific bots created by a modding team. So good AI bots are possible, but that doesnt change anything about the history of gaming and that AI bots have never really provided the same level of challenge and experience as playing a MP game. Which is the context in which my statement that started the argument was made.

Sure, its possible the AI bots in Titanfall will be really good, who knows. It would certainly be impressive to see quality AI bots become the norm. But if that was the norm as others here are arguing, like I have asked before, why are MP games so popular and unique?

I think it comes down to your wording. You say bots never provide a human like challenge in a sentence that follows the statement that they can. It's not the norm, and I don't think anyone said it was. Mediocre to downright awful bots are normal.

6v6 on a controlled map smaller than bf4? No thanks! If it is more open then maybe but I still wonder how they will balance such a system.

Will they match a pug with another and match 6 friends against 6 friends etc.? This matters a lot I would think. Curious to as what the match making system is like and how they reward players for playing. :confused:

I think it comes down to your wording. You say bots never provide a human like challenge in a sentence that follows the statement that they can. It's not the norm, and I don't think anyone said it was. Mediocre to downright awful bots are normal.

Go back and look at what started the discussion. I never indicated I thought it was not possible for AI bots to provide a human like experience. My point was exactly what you just said, that bots are generally awful. Others stated I must not play very many games, because apparently to them there is a myriad of games that have totally awesome bots. The games that were listed though had awful bots, and the example given of a "good" bot was that of one that has better accuracy than human players which is not in any way a unique feature of an AI bot.

So, there is a case of 2 specific bots that according to an article were mistaken by human players, as being human players. Because I have never played those 2 specific bots, this translates to my complete lack of understanding and inexperience in gaming with many games featuring great AI bots. Right? Ok.

Now that thats cleared up, I guess we'll all just have to wait and see how many hardcore FPS gamers flock to play an FPS game with 6 vs 6 featuring a bunch of AI bots. I'm sure you'll all be laughing in my face at the success of such a game.

There have been a few bots on PC games that have been good, or at least passable. Usually player made ones.

For a game like this, I doubt it.

hope this doesn't end up another Hellgate London...a game with a lot of promise which fizzled out of the gate and died a fast death

hope this doesn't end up another Hellgate London...a game with a lot of promise which fizzled out of the gate and died a fast death

Loved that game!
Played great on XP, couldn't get it to run on Vista 64 or Win7 64.\

I was kind of disappointed at first Titanfall wouldn't be coming to PC, because I'm not an Xbox person, then I started playing Mechwarrior Online and thought:
Meh, if it comes, I'll wait for the Steam sale.
But it looks fun, just not $60 of fun.

Loved that game!
Played great on XP, couldn't get it to run on Vista 64 or Win7 64.\

I was kind of disappointed at first Titanfall wouldn't be coming to PC, because I'm not an Xbox person, then I started playing Mechwarrior Online and thought:
Meh, if it comes, I'll wait for the Steam sale.
But it looks fun, just not $60 of fun.

Aww man, HGL. I spent a few hundred hours in that title and then one day it was killed off.

I heard it was revived later on by a Japanese company but I never bothered to check it out.

Back