ProCurve 5400

VeeDubbs

Limp Gawd
Hi all -

I'm hoping someone is familiar with this and can shed some light for me. Just got a ProCurve 5406zl put on my desk and am currently trying to configure it. I threw a 20 port + 4 mGBIC module in it (j8705A) and am trying to configure that n particular. However, when I am trying to configure one of the mGBIC ports it will not allow me - it will say Invalid Input as if the port (B24) does not even exist. However, if I try anything else on the module (besides the 3 other mGBICs) - B1-B20 - those are recognized fine. I'm more of a Cisco guy - so, am I missing something really easy?

I'm a bit configured. It sounds like you're trying to configure a certain port on that card. Am I wrong? Are you trying to change the duplex settings of that GBIC card? I believe they only operate at 1000base. Are you trying to make that port part of a certain VLAN?

I have the 5406, so I'd be more than willing to help.

Yes - I am trying to put one of the fiber ports into a new VLAN. I create the VLAN and then try to tag port B24 in the new VLAN (because as far as I know, you tag uplink ports on PorCurves?). I am not at work and won't be back until Thursday but anything you can suggest is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Jay - thanks for the help. I am configuring via the CLI. When back at work I will be able to post more useful information.

Okay Jay - more questions for you (or anyone else).

So let me start off with my situation I guess. We have a new building coming on-line late this month. The 5400 is going to be the only switch in there. This building is linked via fiber from another building - and these two buildings are going to be in the same VLAN.

Just to briefly reiterate what is going on. On the module in the B slot - the last 4 (21, 22, 23, 24 - mGBIC ports) ports seem to not take any command I through at them. I can't tag or untag - I can't show int - I can't configure the individual ports; however, on the same module ports 1-20 work fine.

I'm pretty sure the module is not bad because the module status light is on and it passes the self test upon boot.

The only thing I can think of is that when I put the fiber in and the port goes up I will be able to do what I need to do? But that makes no sense to me....

Any help?

Sounds like an off-brand GBIC, or you don't have the GBIC actually plugged all the way into the slot. What is the model number of the GBIC, and did where did it come from? Or is it one you already had?

With the latest HP firmware on all HP switches, they no longer support generic GBICs. The 5400zl series is like this from the get-go, since they are so new (haven't even been out a year yet).

I think you are right gr0m. We went ahead and ordered HP GBICs the other day. Hopefully it works. I'm betting it does.

Vee...Sorry for not posting sooner. Wife had a baby recently and it's been some long nights. I guess I just assumed you were using HP Gbics...my bad.

I usually order my gbics from www.insight.com

I've found that they beat almost everybody's prices. They should be around $270.

Vee...Sorry for not posting sooner. Wife had a baby recently and it's been some long nights. I guess I just assumed you were using HP Gbics...my bad.

I usually order my gbics from www.insight.com

I've found that they beat almost everybody's prices. They should be around $270.

It's quite alright Jay. Good luck with the little one! Looking back on it I probably should have posted what GBICs I was using! Oh well...next time!!

Okay Jay and gr0m and others - I have to bring this thread back alive. So we finally got the new GBIC in today. It is a ProCurve J4859B. However, I still can't seem to get it to work!! I have 2 software versions on the switch - one is K.11.63 and the other is K.12.05. Neither of them work with the GBIC. When I check the logs after the GBIC has been inserted I see this:

00535 FFI: port A21 This switch only supports revision B and above transceivers.

But as far as I know this is a revision B. I'm going crazy!!! Advice?? Am I doing something wrong!? Thanks.

EDIT: When I do show tech transceivers in the CLI I get ?? under type and Prod # and non operational under serial # and no part #. Is this a broken GBIC (I have no other 5400's to test it on...) or a counterfeit GBIC?

Back