Processor Upgrade Advice Needed...Intel 9th/8th Gen or Ryzen 7 2700x

masterosok

Gawd
I am looking to upgrade my gaming rig below. I am considering the following processors

i7-9700k
i5-9600
i7-8700
AMD Ryzen 7 2700x

I am not really looking to overclock thus the non-k options but don't want to waste money on a processor that won't really take advantage of or that isn't a good value for the price. This will be for 1440p gaming at 144hz. I don't plan to switch to 4k anytime soon.

I am leaning toward Ryzen chip due to lesser cost of chip/motherboard combos and potential ability upgrade the chip down the road (and avoid Intel's chipset/socket tomfoolery) w/o having to swap boards. I am just not sure if there is a better value with one of the Intel chips. It might not make much of a different in upgradability as I may end up having to upgrade the board and ram anyway when it get around to it my next upgrade (I don't upgrade all that frequently, once ever 2-3 years).

If anyone has any other chips to recommend that aren't list please feel free.

Last edited:
Ryzen 2600, non-X, unless you are benchmarking and have RTX2080s or something rediculous.

so you think that the other chips are overkill? I certainly don't care about benchmarks and just have the one 1080.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those options. It really comes down to the price you want to pay. I think the 2600x has a little higher speed bump compared to the non-x, the difference between the two is probably small though.

Right this second, you'd probably get more bang for the buck from the Intel chip pushing for 144Hz, but you have a little more flexibility with the AMD setup for a future upgrade.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those options. It really comes down to the price you want to pay. I think the 2600x has a little higher speed bump compared to the non-x, the difference between the two is probably small though.

Yeah I just looking for the best value really. So while the i7-9700k is in my budget I don't want to buy it just cause I can if I am not really going to see much of a difference at 1440p between it and say the Ryzen 2600. I would definitely like it to be a noticeable jump from my i5-7600k but its not as important since I have a purpose for that hardware as well (my GF is on an old 3rd gen Intel CPU).

Since you already have a 7600K and you game at 1440p 144Hz, then I'd recommend throwing your budget towards as much GPU upgrade as you can afford, since you're going to be largely GPU bound at that resolution and refresh...and wait for Radeon VII to drop before making a decision.

Back