Processor Help

Spark_Plug

Weaksauce
I am going to be building a server for my DVD/VHS collection, TV Shows and files. So I am wondering will dual Xeon's or dual Operton(sp?)'s be better suited for me. No gaming or any graphics heavy things except video.

Is this just a file server, or will you be converting/ripping/encoding files?

if you will be encoding your entire dvd collection, any dual cpu will be great.. as for a server to watch them off of, you really don't need that much power. I watch movies all of the time on my comp (specs below). You don't even need a top of the line video card.

Encoding will benefit from a beefy dual-core CPU, and good, solid RAM (<1GB is not an option). Just remember that encoding usually stresses your CPU to nearly 100%, so a hack-job on CPU cooling and case ventilation isn't a good idea.

Either or.
Xeons have a slight advantage due to compiler optimizations. But the Opterons make up for it with sheer brute force. So there tends to not be a clear advantage either way.
I would recommend figuring out what fits in your budget. The Opterons have a significant price advantage, generally, but you might come across a good deal on LV Xeons. (Getting Opteron HE's or EE's cheap is impossible, sadly.)

Back