Processor heating up at the simplest task.

flixxx

n00b
Hey guys,

I got a ltitle problem with heat on my setup I got:

ASUS p5wd2-Premium
Intel Pentium 4 630 3GHz Socket 775 (I believe that is tha LGA J)

This thing was idling at 49 degrees, although i thought it was excessive Intel told me it's fine, and it was quite stable until recently.

Now even opening IE will make it jump up to 60 Degrees. Listening to music sometimes cuts the song and makes it sound like a robot. I've seen it go up to 80 Degrees.

I thought it was my cooling kit (it's a Cooler master, nothing fancy but it sort of did the job) I bought myself a new Heatsink/Fan. Although the temperature dropped to 44 Degrees, it's still very unstable. It can jump up to 65 Degrees just trying to go on the internet to check my emails.

Any recommendations? Is my Processor failing?

I've never used that particular processor, but it definitely sounds as though something is amiss.

Last time I ran into overheating problems while using IE was on a PC that was infested with adware, spyware crap. IE was "hijacked" and would max out the CPU everytime it was launched. Look into that.
Other then that, check for the latest BIOS for your mobo. Also you may wanna reset BIOS just for the heck of it. Make sure it's supplying the CPU with enough Vcore. Maybe it's too much...
Just some things to check.

Mike

Thanks Mike I'll check that. As far as the spyware goes though, i know it's clean because i jsut reinstalled windows with a new Hard drive - A whole other problem there, I kept getting Disk Write errors and went mad running tests. Anyway i later found out my side fan was slowing pushing the sata cable out of the hard drive, I'd have to reseat it every week!!! That's fixed now though, i bought a SATA cable with a metal clip, but i'll never trust standard sata cables again.

Have you tried re-seating the HSF with some good thermal paste?

Also, the pins on the LGA 775 stock HSFs are known to "pop" out of the board if not installed properly...

It certainly seems that the processor is throttling due to heat...

I cleaned off the thermal paste and added some compound paste, a little dab in the center and i applied the HSF on top. The HSF is not the best, in fact it's the cheapest i found at my local computer store for a band-aid fix.

http://www.startech.com/Product/ItemDetail.aspx?productid=FAN775&c=CA

But it did actually lower the temperatute by 5 degrees on idle, it's just that the CPU gets insanely hot when there's cpu usage :(

May be that cheap HSF is not capable of releasing Heast a.s.a.p, you know, something being expesive is for a reason.

Well, if it's better than the stock HSF, it should be equally capable.

In this case, I'd consider that either you CPU has a broken sensor, or is making poor contact with the IHS... Or the IHS is convex/concave (a huge possibility with Conroes I've heard).

I've tried a few things and still no go. I'm going to look into replacing the Chip. A few questions for you:

1. How can i determine if the problem is the chip or the mobo?
2. What chip would you recommend for this mobo? (955x chipset)
Reasonnably priced one, i'm not too hardcore on the pc.

Arcygenical said:
Well, if it's better than the stock HSF, it should be equally capable.

In this case, I'd consider that either you CPU has a broken sensor, or is making poor contact with the IHS... Or the IHS is convex/concave (a huge possibility with Conroes I've heard).

Actually some stock Intel HSF's are quite decent. (the copper core ones), so cheap after market could be worse. I tend to think there's something wrong with the mounting of the HSF, or case / airflow.

to OP, On the motherboard issue, if you're going to replace it, get a Gigabyte DS3. ($150) That way if you need to change the CPU also, you can upgrade to a Core, which would be MUCH MUCH MUCH FASTER!!!

What's the best way to troubleshoot the motherboard/cpu without actually getting another cpu to test it on my mobo?

I'm also gonna try to reinstall Windows, i doubt it'll do anything, but maybe a file is corrupted and causing higher then normal cpu usage for almost everything i do :p

Back