Processor CPU Usage at 100% Problem

oplin

Gawd
Joined
Jan 9, 2002
Messages
831
Hi,

I just recently had my psu die on my main rig while the computer was running. I replaced the psu with enough power to power the system easily. Well now everytime i start the computer for the first time the cpu maxes out at 100%. The cpu is a Amd x5200 on a MSI K8N Platinum SLI board, in the task manager nothing will be running the system idle process will be at 90-100% but the computer usage measure at 100%, the whole system is slowed down and the temperture on the cpu rises up higher than what it normally does under load, but if i restart the computer it will operate normally, it's done this 5 times same thing everytime. Any suggestions on what might be the problem or a solution to the problem.

Thanks for any help and if you need more info let me know, OS is win xp pro sp2.
 

oplin

Gawd
Joined
Jan 9, 2002
Messages
831
Bump - Any other ideas? Don't think it's a root kit as nothing was detected but might be it.
 

BillR

Born Again Cynic
Joined
Feb 17, 2002
Messages
18,540
Just so we are all on the same train. You do realize that idle always shows close to 100% when you are doing nothing at all.

If idle were showing 10% then I'd be looking for the other 90% or so.

Luck
 

Syngensmyth

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Messages
258
Just so we are all on the same train. You do realize that idle always shows close to 100% when you are doing nothing at all.

If idle were showing 10% then I'd be looking for the other 90% or so.

Luck

In theory this would be true but I have never been able to keep XP from doing something for very long, even when I was not.

Your point is still valid, in that one should chase down the processes and make sure they are harmless.

Edit:
I did find this but don't know how helpful it will be. Read the whole thing, there are several ideas.
 

BillR

Born Again Cynic
Joined
Feb 17, 2002
Messages
18,540
In theory this would be true but I have never been able to keep XP from doing something for very long, even when I was not.

Your point is still valid, in that one should chase down the processes and make sure they are harmless.

Edit:
I did find this but don't know how helpful it will be. Read the whole thing, there are several ideas.

Some good ideas there indeed. If you Google Malware or take a look at the latest PC Magazine’s article on your very problem

I assume you have used Ad-Aware etc to look for the obvious as well as checked all your services and processes.

Some of the junk out there these days manages to hide from services etc and even renames itself on a random basis just to make our lives miserable.

I’ve only ever had one incident of this happen to me and I spent more time tracking it down then I would have building a whole new computer and reinstalling all my software. As it was it was a bogus entry in my registry and trust me, if you can avoid hours in there looking around it will save your sanity.

My final suggestion? Format and reinstall. Don’t forget to back up all important files. Allow me one other suggestion here. I recently did this for a customer and did his backup to DVD disks, not his second hard drive. After a full reinstall I installed his stuff one file at a time and finally found the problem was a piece of spyware imbedded in a JPG file. Go figure.

Luck, too bad you can’t pay yourself for this kind of trouble shooting huh?;) :D
 

oplin

Gawd
Joined
Jan 9, 2002
Messages
831
Just so we are all on the same train. You do realize that idle always shows close to 100% when you are doing nothing at all.

If idle were showing 10% then I'd be looking for the other 90% or so.

There is nothing running at all, all processes have been shut down, the cpu usage tab show both cores pinned at a 100% and the system idle process is at 90%, this doesn't seem possible at all, since cpu usage should be at around 10% when system idle proecess is at 90%. The processor heats up extremely fast and after i rebout once this behavior is gone and cpu usage shows as normal which is usually 2% when i'm not doing anything on it. I'm not at home right now so i'll try the ideas above later tonight and post on how they go. This happened immediatily after a psu died, no software or anything was installed inbetween that time, so i'm thinkign it might be something hardware related, but i could've been browsing a web page or something between then and got something.

Thanks, for the replies. I've been building computers for about 10 years and never have seen anything like this happen before,
 

Syngensmyth

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Messages
258
It is indeed very strange. Maybe something got power spiked. You might try going back to hardware basics. Unplug everything but video, 1 HD, 1 stick ram and retest each stick, load bios safe defaults ... you know the drill. Try to isolate it.

What board is it.

Search finds the standard stuff like you see above, as you know. Please post if you find it.
 

oplin

Gawd
Joined
Jan 9, 2002
Messages
831
I was hoping to get by the format/reinstall or at least hold off for a few months until vista was somewhat usable. Mobo is K8N Platinum SLI, it's a little bit old but runs good non the less. I just really don't get how the rebout fixes it, I'll let you know if i find a solution for it.
 

hardc0re

Gawd
Joined
Sep 19, 2006
Messages
869
I was hoping to get by the format/reinstall or at least hold off for a few months until vista was somewhat usable. Mobo is K8N Platinum SLI, it's a little bit old but runs good non the less. I just really don't get how the rebout fixes it, I'll let you know if i find a solution for it.

did you read my post?
 

oplin

Gawd
Joined
Jan 9, 2002
Messages
831
Yeah, i reread it now. Awesome program was looking for something like this for a long time. I'll give this a try out tomorrow when i boot up again. Thanks alot for the link, it'll be usefull at work too. I'll let you know if that finds anything suspicious.
 
Top