Procedure for swapping out P67 board for new B3 board?

GregP

Limp Gawd
I got my Asus P8P67 Pro from Microcenter months ago, and like everybody else I've got until May 15th to turn it in for a new B3 version. If I got another Pro, what's the safest way to swap the boards out? I've never done a swap of a nearly identical model like this. I'd really prefer to not reinstall Windows, even though I know it's the cleaner route. My current W7-64 install was actually brought over from my previous eVGA 680i board, using the 'sysprep' method, with no problems at all.

I'm wondering, do I even need to do the 'sysprep' thing again, or should this swap be almost transparent to the OS, letting me just pull the old board out and drop the new one in?

If you set up the board the same way in the BIOS you can probably just swap and power it up without doing anything.

Whether it's XP or windows 7, just remove the old board and install the new board.
This even will work for XP too, but it's best to have a PS2 keyboard around, since you may lose USB functionality while XP reinstalls drivers. (that won't happen under windows 7).

Relatively quick and painless. You may have to reactivate, though.

You can just swap it out, as Falkentyne said. It'll redetect all the hardware and you may have to reboot, but that's all. I did have to reactivate mine.

Yeah. My switch from P8P67 Pro B2 to B3 went without a hitch while keeping the same install. You'll be fine.

Just swap em out. I swapped out my AM2+ Asus 790FX with an EVGA x58 Classified, new CPU and new memory and didn't reinstall windows, everything is working fine except L4D and L4D2, not sure why they are messing up.

I just swapped the boards, it even autodetected my raid array. Windows didn't install new drivers, but did have to be reactivated.

Like these guys said... just swap the board, setup the options the same (if you are using raid, etc) and go...

I went from a P55 to P67 without reinstalling Windows off the bat. Later I swapped to P67 B3 without issues as well. Windows 7 is great, you don't need to reinstall Windows every time you change hardware with Win7.

Swapped mine without any issues. Didn't even have to re-activate my Windows 7 license...the one thing I was really dreading. Relatively quick and painless job.

Back