Problmes OCing MSI P6N SLI-Fi

blackjaw

n00b
When I try to overclock my P6N SLI-Fi and E6750 to 3.6 GHz, I can boot into windows and run Orthos for 6 hours straight with no errors. I do this on 1.45 CPU Voltage, 1.4 NB Voltage and 1.5 SB Voltage and no bump in FSB VTT Voltage. All temps are good. My ram is Crucial Ballistix DDR800 running at 2.2v at relaxed timing of 5-5-5-15 at 1:1.

So here is when it gets odd. I shut the machine down for the night. The next day, I start it up and the computer hangs on startup. Windows never boots. Or, Windows boots, but I get to desktop and the system is never fully loads.

Go back to stock settings and everything is peachy. I OC to 3.6 again with same settings. Same thing. Boots fine. Stable in Orthos. Startup machine next time and it won't load Windows. I have no idea why the OC goes awry on next startup.

Do I need to bump voltage for Southbridge or FSB VTT Voltage? Are my hard drive controllers failing, causing Windows to not load?

One other thing, I also noticed on this board, that my boot sequence always resets. Meaning, I have my main system hard drive as my only boot device, but if I power down and check my bios, occasionally, the boot sequence will have all devices that are connected re-enabled in the list. Baffling. All other custom settings stay intact, except for boot sequence.

My complete system specs:

Antec 900 Case
Core2Duo E6750
Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme
MSI P6N SLI-FI
Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 (4x1GB)
EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
Corsair HX620 PSU
WD Raptor 150GB + WD 80GB
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer

Back