Problems with windows 7

not related to your problems, but I installed windows 7 from the digital river deal for students on my custom HP slimline and had loads of problems --- I went back to vista 64 bit and the problems went away.

Machine locked on shutdown
USB drives constantly corrupting the data
Lockups

Vista works just fine! Nary a problem!

Last edited:
hmm, what about my other problems, and is there a reason it says my 500 gig drive is 460 gigs?

Because it IS a 460GB drive. Hard Drive manufacturers call a Gigabyte 10^9 bytes, while all operating systems not named "Snow Leopard" call a Gigabyte 2^30 bytes and always have. So your 500,000,000,000 byte hard drive is 465.67 * 2^30 bytes, or 466GB.

This thread is full of fail.

1KB = 2^10
1MB = 2^20
1GB = 2^30
1TB = 2^40

Hard drive manufacturers consider a KB equal to 1000 bytes (instead of 2^10=1024). This is not a big deal with smaller drives, but as drive space evolved into large TB+ drives, the difference increased greatly. That is why a 500GB drive shows up as "only" 460GB.

As far as Archaea having problems with his custom slimline, perhaps you should start your own thread, or be a little more descriptive.....????

Any 64-bit Microsoft operating system will have seperate 32 (x86) and 64-bit program files folders.

Many of these questions could have been resolved with a simple Google search.

I found a way around the permission thing on google though by managing the security of a folder, but i do not want to do this every time.

Doesn't look like anyone needed to research anything, as I hoped people already knew the answers here to things that I didn't but still hoping someone knows a way around the high maintenance security of windows 7 and might be able to tell me what is up with that picture i posted.

As it stands, I've already posted my question and there are 3 things you could do, you could A.) be a dickhole like you are doing now and not provide anything benificial. B.) answer my questions, which would probably take up less of your time and or energy or C.) not say anything.

Thank you.

Doesn't look like anyone needed to research anything, as I hoped people already knew the answers here to things that I didn't but still hoping someone knows a way around the high maintenance security of windows 7 and might be able to tell me what is up with that picture i posted.

As it stands, I've already posted my question and there are 3 things you could do, you could A.) be a dickhole like you are doing now and not provide anything benificial. B.) answer my questions, which would probably take up less of your time and or energy or C.) not say anything.

Thank you.

Your picture shows an empty drop-down... What are you trying to show??? High security? if you read any other threads, this is called User Access Control, which can be turned down in the Users applet of the control panel. If you are referring to NTFS directory security, that has nothing to do with just Windows 7...

As far as your alphabetized list...
A) You are the one being the dickhole, and I did provide answers for most of your questions.
B) I did, re-read my posts.
C) How are you possibly going to get any help if nobody says anything? You can't search google for yourself...

I'm not trying to be a douche, but basically, this forum is not for people to walk you through using an operating system. We are not here to hold your hand like a 5th-grader, you need to use some of your own time and effort in an attempt to research and resolve a problem yourself.

I found a way around the permission thing on google though by managing the security of a folder, but i do not want to do this every time.
OK what you are seeing popup is the UAC window which basically allows permission to do certain system related events. You can disable it by typing in 'change user account control' into the Start->Search box. You'll see a list of options and just click it and lower the bar to the bottom.

Another thing to keep in mind that in Vista/7, being an Administrator user does not actually make you an Administrator with those rights, it simply means you are capable of being elevated to Administrator for whatever specific command you use that ask for those permissions. A Standard user can not do Administrator functions without the password.

Your picture shows an empty drop-down... What are you trying to show??? High security? if you read any other threads, this is called User Access Control, which can be turned down in the Users applet of the control panel. If you are referring to NTFS directory security, that has nothing to do with just Windows 7...

As far as your alphabetized list...
A) You are the one being the dickhole, and I did provide answers for most of your questions.
B) I did, re-read my posts.
C) How are you possibly going to get any help if nobody says anything? You can't search google for yourself...

I'm not trying to be a douche, but basically, this forum is not for people to walk you through using an operating system. We are not here to hold your hand like a 5th-grader, you need to use some of your own time and effort in an attempt to research and resolve a problem yourself.

I was talking to msny, not you. Thank's for your help.

Last edited:
Back