Problems with Windows 10 in Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7

carlmart

Gawd
Two days ago, after living almost three years with Windows 7 in my Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7, and losing all support from MS on W7, I decided to give W10 a try.

During this time I have been using Windows 10 on my Asus N56J laptop, so I could see some limitations I had by moving to W10 on some of my programs. But I decided to give it a try on one of my SSDs on the Z97X.

The first problem I had was with the W10 version (old) that I had. Updating Windows overnight seemed to put things back on track.

But there are some problems I'm having, which perhaps someone who had this MB could tell how they were solved:

1) The USB 3 driver seems to not work at all for Windows 10 on the Z97X. You get a message that says: "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing this software". This really sounds bogus to me, as the Asus USB 3 driver for the laptop works fine, and that laptop is certainly below the Z97X in "minimum requirements". So it does sound as a driver issue. How do you solve it?

2) Is there some SATA driver I have to install that will allow all the sockets to work fine in Windows 10? Which one? I can't seem to connect all my SATA interfaces and the HDDs do not show. I thought it might be a hardware issue, so I went back to my Windows 7 install, and everything is there alright. Another driver issue?

I downloaded some new supposedly W10 drivers, and did install some, but the issues described above did not solve.

Let's hope the answer is for me to move to a more recent MB + hardware, because that is not money I wish to spend, and would much prefer to make this hardware work as it did in Windows 7.

Try reinstalling using the current 1909 install or clone your Win 7 install to the spare SSD and see what happens if you try an inplace upgrade using the current 1909 install media.

The upgrade was to the 1909, but those issues I mentioned happened after I updated.

Check the actual hardware manufacturers page for a driver (ie intel and Marvell). I recently upgraded my Dads Z97 i5 to win 10 from 7 without any issues (MSI motherboard though) Did not have to install any specific driver iirc.

I've seen some problems doing a Win-7 to Win-10 upgrade sometimes. The issues usually show up on older laptops
but I've seen some desktops do it too.

May be related to chipset drivers. In general, Z97 boards work fine on WIn-10 though.

As long as your Win-10 install activated on the upgrade, you can do a Win-10 install from scratch now.

Backup whatever data you need to keep and try a fresh Win-10 install.
Fresh install will select the correct drivers for everything usually.

Fresh install makes the most sense here and then installing all drivers. Although it's kinda annoying I keep using the driver/app stores that go with the motherboards since it usually covers all the bases while also pushing bloatware

I first did an upgrade (very early on) from 7 to 10 on my Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK (first time ever upgrading Windows :eek: ) . It had some issues, so I tried to uninstall/reinstall every driver I possibly could. It was much better after doing that. Eventually I did install from scratch. It still runs like a top.

Back