Problems with VGA to VGA

RicKuRuKuS

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello everyone, just purchased a VGA to VGA cable and was able to get it working after changing a bunch of settings. Now I was playing with resolutions and got to one that my TV would not support. My laptop screen is just a image of my background and I am stuck unable to change back to the old resolution setting and the TV won't display anything and my laptop display only shows my background image. The only way I can get my laptop screen back is if I hold the power button down for 10 seconds and reboot.

Now it is saying that my default monitor is the #2 monitor but I want my default monitor to be the #1... How do I reset that? I have checked the This is my main monitor button under display settings but that doesn't change the options in the drop down menu. Sorry for all the hassle, I have tried nearly every combination of settings and resolutions to get it to how it was when I first hooked it all up and it actually worked!

One more thing to note, the TV would not support a mirrored display from my laptop for some reason, I was unable to have the mouse and everything on my laptop when it was on the TV as well or vice versa. I have a GeForce 8600M GT graphics card. Thanks for any help or suggestions guys!

if the regular options in display settings aren't working (odd, they should) , try playing around with the monitor setup in nvidia control panel. Right click on the desktop and goto nvidia control panel -> setup multiple displays.

The only reason i can think of why it wouldn't mirror is because your laptop's native resolution is higher than the tv's

Also, to avoid being stuck in the future, check to see if your laptop has a combination you can press on the keyboard to switch though different video modes (it's usually a combination of the function key (fn) and one of the F1-F12 keys)

k i think i need to find the combination key, because whenever i hook up the tv to my laptop now, and as soon as I try getting to that screen that lets me do multiple displays by going to nvidia control panel, it tries switching my main monitor to the TV and my laptop screen just becomes a simple backup with nothing on it... very frustrating! lol

-rick

Back