Problems with the athlon 64

Kiznilian

Limp Gawd
I installed the complete system, athlon64, 512 ddr440, 80 gig HD on a mini shuttle computer. everything turns on, i can goto my bios, but when i try to boot my windows XP CD it won't boot. all it does it says Booting from CD: then the computer revs up(cd rom)
then does nothing. it just stops at a blank screen. this is an old Windows XP pro but i know it works becasue i installed XP fresh on a computer of mine last week.

strange - but def not the A64's fault. sounds to me like the bios on your shuttle board might need an update? does the system need to load special drivers? (i don't remember anything about installing windows - stayed away from that shit for about a year now)

Im just wondering if i need sp1 windows XP to install or can i install regular windows XP and install sp after. i tried different CD rom drives, i tried everything i can think of and the systems stops running after it says Booting from CD:

tried a different windows cd? Might not be reading the cd.

sounds like its something wrong with that particular cd, scratched maybe?

no it boots in any other computer fine. its not the cdrom drive we even tried another one.

OMG... please read... the problem is not with the CD. He used the SAME CD on a diff computer so that eliminates the actual CD. I wouldn't go with the Bios update thing.. it should have a decent bios to boot a A64 since the motherboard was built for just that. Maybe it's a setting in the bios that you need to try.

try the cdrom drive that worked with the cd last, that way you know its the cd or the drive :)

is it a new shuttle or one you've used before?

if its new then try it w/ another system and see if its maybe the shuttle...you could also RMA the parts and try again :(

The drive isn't set to slave is it? Make sure the pins on the back have it defaulted to master. Is it pluged into your secondary ide drive and your hard disk plugged into the primary?

Sounds like a serious problem to me. Do you have another version of windows installation cd (windows 98, ME, 2000) that you can try?

I'd check over every possible setting in the bios again, and go with the most stable (even underclocked if you have to, maybe ddr333). I'd also load setup defaults and try that as well.

So i found out the reason to this problem. Raid had to be disabled in the BIOS. i really thought it was the memory but i changed it to disable raid and it worked :p

PS: a64 is the most badass computer right now. wow blows away everything. wish i had the money to get it, jelous of my friend to the max

Yes i searched everywhere for this problem and couldn't find it. i worked on my friends computer for 7 hours and did everything in the bios except 1 thing. its always some weird setting but the raid setting def stopped me from being able to boot up any kind of CD even linux. i thought it was the memory so be safe and check that bios setting before returning memory. we were 2 min away from doing that when my other friend just causally turned off raid and it worked lol.

Back